| || Notes for JOHN WALLACE COLLINS:|
Source W.F.T. Vol 2 Tree 1178;
John graduated from the University of Alabama in 1857, and went to Tulane (med. dept, of Univ. of La.) 1859-1860 to become a Doctor. He graduated on 3-20-1860. He then practiced in Marengo County, Ala. until he enlisted in the Confederate Army on Sept. 13, 1861. In June 1862 he was assistant surgeon in charge of the Holy Springs Hospital (Miss.). He was appointed as "surgeon", from Mississippi, by the Confederate Sec. of War on Dec. 4, 1862 "to take rank as of Aug. 22, 1862", reporting to Gen. B. Bragg. He was surgeon with the 8th Regt. Tenn. Vol. on Dec. 15, 1862 at Murffreesboro as part of the First Brigade (1st Div., Polks Corps, Army of Tenn.) commanded by Col. O. F. Strahl. On April 27,1863 he was at Shelbyville where he signed a requisition as "Surgeon, Medical Dept. of the Artillery of Polks Corps".In July 1863 he was granted a 15 day leave to visit home. (J.W.C. Jr. was born in 1863 and may have been the reason for this leave).Pay records show him with the 3rd Ala. Cav. Aug. 1, 1863 through Mar.31, 1864. He was also shown as a medical officer stationed at Blue Mountain, Ala., April 21, 1864 to Aug 22, 1864. His military career ended when he was part of "The Army of the Department of Alabama, Mississippi, and East Louisanna surrendered by Lt. Gen. R. Taylor, CSA, commanding, to Maj. Gen. E.R.S. Canby, USA, commanding the army and division of west Mississippi" and was parolled at Meridian, Miss. on May 11, 1865. When parolled he had reached the rank of Major. Following the War he moved to Clark County, Miss. until moving to Madison County, Tenn. A map of 1872 shows that he had a home about 8 miles north of Jackson and 2 miles east of the Carrol P.O. At the time of the 1880 census he lived on Baltimore St. in Jackson. He then moved to Colorado Springs, Co., stayed there two years and then moved to Denver. There he became Professor of Gynecology and Abdominal Surgery at the Univ. of Denver until 1895. From 1889 to 1890 he was also the 20th president of the Colorado Medical Society. In the 1890's he semi-retired and served at the State penitentary in Canon City. He lived there (except for a brief period with his brother, Dr. D.W. Collins, in Pueblo) until he died (in Canoa City) on Mar 20, 1903 of Brights Diseasa of the Kidney.