The Manor Lockwoods of Travis County Texas:Information about Catherine JENNINGS
Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals | |Sources
Catherine JENNINGS (b. 15 Dec 1825, d. 26 Feb 1911)Catherine JENNINGS (daughter of Gordon C. JENNINGS and Catherine Cynthia OVERTON) was born 15 Dec 1825 in , , MO, USA, and died 26 Feb 1911 in Austin, Travis, TX, USA.She married (1) Casper WHISLER on 23 Apr 1842 in Brazos, , TX, USA.She married (2) Sylvester LOCKWOOD on 18 Feb 1843 in Fannin, , TX,usa, son of Samuel Jr. LOCKWOOD and Nan.
Notes for Catherine JENNINGS:
!BIRTH:Date from Headstone.
CENSUS:1860 Travis County Texas Precinct 3 Page 249 Line 22.
CENSUS:1870 Travis County Texas Post Office Webberville Page 10 Line 26.
CENSUS:1880 Travis County Texas ED 122 Sheet 43 Line 28.
CENSUS:1900 Travis County Texas ED 107 Sheet 12 Line 71;FHL film 1241673.
CENSUS:1910 Travis County Texas ED 57 Sheet 56 Line 68;FHL film 1375608.
DEATH:Date from Headstone.
CEMETERY RECORDS-Headstone Inscription:Citizen of the Republic of Texas 1837-1846; declared during Texas Centennial 1936 - a pioneer of Texas.
BURIAL:Lockwood Cemetery;Manor, Texas.
DEATH:Obituary of Mrs Katherine Lockwood, Travis County Collection,
City of Austin, Austin Public Library;1911;
Pioneer dies near Manor;Mrs Katherine Lockwood had resided in Travis
County many years;
Manor, Tex, Feb 28, Mrs Katherine Lockwood, wife of Sylvester Lockwood,
pioneer of Texas and a resident of Travis county for sixty-five years, died at her home six miles south of Manor Sunday, Feb 26, after a brief illess, at the age of 85 years;The funeral was held Monday afternoon, interment being made in the family burial grounds;
Mrs. Lockwood was born in Missouri Dec 13, 1826, and came to Texas when very young with her father, Gorden C Jennings, who later became one of the victims in the fall of the Alamo; She was closely connected with the events of the early days of Texas and had seen many a skirmish between the white settlers and the Indians and Mexicans, and had many a fright from these marauders; Once when a very small girl she rode astride a bareback horse at great speed to warn the neighbors of the coming of the Mexicans and to seek their protection for herself, and this incident was told many times in after years by old inhabitants and was referred to as "the ride of Katie
Jennings"; She was married in Bastrop to her first husband, a Mr. Whistler, and moved with him to Fannin county, where he was afterwards killed by Indians; Mrs. Lockwood was the mother of eight children, two of them with her husband, preceding her in death; She leaves six children, forty-two
grandchildren, 100 great-grandchildren and ten great-great-grandchildren; note; have photocopy of this document.
More About Catherine JENNINGS:
Burial: 27 Feb 1911, Manor, Travis, TX, USA.
More About Catherine JENNINGS and Casper WHISLER:
Marriage: 23 Apr 1842, Brazos, , TX, USA.
More About Catherine JENNINGS and Sylvester LOCKWOOD:
Marriage: 18 Feb 1843, Fannin, , TX,usa.
Marriage Notes for Catherine JENNINGS and Sylvester LOCKWOOD:
Updated info provided by Scott Lockwood of Albuquerque, New Mexico
Children of Catherine JENNINGS and Sylvester LOCKWOOD are:
- +Nancy Jane LOCKWOOD, b. Abt. Jun 1844, Manor, Travis, TX, USA, d. Abt. Jun 1917, , Travis, TX, USA.
- +Joseph Preston LOCKWOOD, b. 16 Dec 1848, Manor, Travis, TX, USA, d. Abt. Jun 1920, Manor, Travis, TX, USA.
- +Elizabeth Mary "Betty" LOCKWOOD, b. 15 Jul 1850, Manor, Travis, TX, USA, d. 24 Nov 1924, Manor, Travis, TX, USA.
- +James C. LOCKWOOD, b. 03 Oct 1852, Manor, Travis, TX, USA, d. 03 Feb 1921, Manor, Travis, TX, USA.
- Sarah Abigail LOCKWOOD, b. Abt. 1855, Manor, Travis, TX, USA, d. Abt. 1856, Manor, Travis, TX, USA.
- +George Thomas LOCKWOOD, b. 09 Sep 1859, Manor, Travis, TX, USA, d. 06 Nov 1926, , Travis, TX, USA.
- +Edward Sylvester LOCKWOOD, b. 23 Sep 1860, Manor, Travis, TX, USA, d. Abt. Jun 1896, , Travis, TX, USA.
- +Melinda Catherine "Katie" LOCKWOOD, b. 03 Jan 1864, Manor, Travis, TX, USA, d. 21 Dec 1932, Manor, Travis, TX, USA.