New Zealand Manktelow's:Information about Grove Vowless
Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals | |Sources
Grove Vowless (b. 11 August 1827, d. 31 August 1876)Grove Vowless (son of Grove Vowless and Anne Hiles) was born 11 August 1827 in Broadstairs Kent, and died 31 August 1876 in Hamilton New Zealand.He married Teresa O'Neill on 9 April 1859 in St Andrews Sydney, daughter of Joseph O'Neill and Theresa Barrett.
Notes for Grove Vowless:
Was a Master Mariner.
When married his address was Duncan St Sydney as was his wife's.Enlisted in 4th Waikato Militia in Sydney on 16 February 1864. Came to NZ on Alice Cameron as Private.
Wasrewarded by being alloted a 50 acre plot in the "country" (lot 7, Kirikiriroa) and a 1 acre property in the town (Lot 149 in Albert St, Hamilton East North side one section from Galloway Street)
The Militia traveled to Howick after landing in Auckland then to Koheroa and Maungatawhiri where they boared the "Pioneer" to travel up river to Hamilton. He was the second person to land. After serving with Militia he worked at Gibbons Sawmill (which was where Parana Park now exists) while farming his 50 acres.
Died in agony of Appendicitis. Was 5ft 5in on enlistment
More About Grove Vowless and Teresa O'Neill:
Marriage: 9 April 1859, St Andrews Sydney.
Children of Grove Vowless and Teresa O'Neill are:
- +Grove Vowless, b. 1859, Sydney Australia, d. 1927.
- +Theresa Vowless, b. 30 November 1860, Sydney Australia, d. 11 February 1942, Tauranga New Zealand.
- John Vowless, b. 1862, Newcastle, d. date unknown, infancy?? in Sydney??.
- +William James Vowless, b. 1864, Hamilton, d. 1946.
- +Mary Esther Vowless, b. 13 May 1866, Hamilton New Zealand, d. 21 July 1950.
- +Elizabeth Selina Vowless, b. 1868, Hamilton, d. 1953.
- +Elizabeth Jane Vowless, b. 1871, Hamilton, d. 1953.
- +Rueben Vowless, b. 1872, Hamilton, d. 1955.
- +Francis Arthur Vowless, b. 1876, Hamilton, d. 1919.