And so I begin the search... I'm trying to find my McBride roots in Ireland. I would appreciate any help or advice on how I might take that step back to Ireland and find where my 2nd great-grandfather was born.
From 1880/1900 census data I've been able to determine that my 2nd great-grandfather, John McBride (b. abt 1840 in Donegal, Ireland d. 5/31/1892) came to Wilmington, DE abt 1871 from Donegal, Ireland. He married Margarie Haggerty (b. abt 1840 in Donegal, Ireland d. abt. 1898). I believe Margarie was his first wife and his second wife maybe Catherine Murphy.
John had 6 children.
- Daniel Patrick(b. abt July 1862 in Donegal, Ireland d. 1931 in Wilm, DE)[see below]
- Mary (b. abt. 1865 in Ireland) m. Thomas McGillin abt 1886
- Margaret (b. abt 1869)
- Sarah (b. abt 1871)
- John (b. 8/1/1872 in Wilmington, DE) m. Francis Davis
- Hugh (b. 2/3/1875 in Wilmington, DE)
My great-grandfather Daniel Patrick McBride married Theresa Agnas Quinn (b. abt 1864 in Wilmington, DE d. 1931) abt 1882.
They had 9 children, all born in Wilmington, DE.
- John (b. 3/20/1884) m. Rosalie Oakes
- Margarie (b. 9/22/1886 - d. abt 1899)
- Margaret (b. 1/21/1888 - d. abt 5/1950)
- Sarah (b. 7/27/1889) m. William Potts
- Theresa Agnas (b. 8/16/1890) m. (1) Wesley Hyatt (2) Thomas Bradford on 9/18/1912
- Mary Margaret (b. 2/6/1892) m. (1) George Foreaker (2) William “Wots” Wilson
- Daniel Patrick(b. 10/5/1893 - d. abt 1899)
- Ellen (b. 7/16/1897) m. Jacob Mink Winnamore
- George John (b. 7/16/1897 - d. 1956)[see below]
My grandfather George John McBride, son of Daniel Patrick McBride and Teresa Agnas Quinn, married Mary Agnas McGonigle (b. 10/22/1896 in Wilmington, DE) daughter of Patrick McGonigle and Elizabeth Monigle, on 9/22/1920 in St Joseph's on the Brandywine Church, Wilmington, DE.
They had 6 children, all born in Wilmington, DE.
- Daniel Joseph (b. 7/21/1922) m. Helen Victoria Ellis on 6/24/1954
- George John, Jr. (b. 6/9/1924)[see below]
- Elizabeth Agnas (b. 6/9/1924) m. Gordon Greenfield
- Mary Theresa (b. 4/29/1928) m. James Wyat
- Joseph (b. 1/15/1931 - d. 1/1931)
- Frances (b. 1/15/1931- d. 1/1931)
My father George John McBride, Jr., son of George John McBride and Mary Agnas McGonigle, married Rita Marie Dennis (b. 12/26/1925 in West Wyoming, PA) daughter of Richard Dennis (b. abt. 1885 in England d. 1940 in West Wyoming, PA) and Belinda Jennings (b. abt. 1889 in Pennsylvania d. 1965 in Baltimore, MD) in St Ceclia's Church, Exeter, PA.
They had 4 children, all born in Wilmington, DE.
- Dennis (b. 2/8/1949 - d. 12/28/1999) m. Patricia Carol Barnes on 10/7/1978
- Donna (b. 2/17/1952) m. Vincent Anthony Lofink on 3/17/1973
- Patricia Marie (b. 3/17/1960) m. Thomas Scherer on 8/13/1994
- Kevin John (b. 6/21/1962)
My great grand-parents on my mother's side, are William Dennis (b. abt. 1856 in England) and Mary Fairfield (b. abt. 1861 in Ireland d. 1938).
I also have information on my great-grandmother Theresa Agnas Quinn. She is the daughter of George Quinn (b. abt 12/1826 in Ireland) and Margaret Steele (b. abt 6/1834) who were married abt 1857. George immigrated to U.S. in 1856 and came to Wilmington, DE abt 1871. They had 5 children.
- James (b. abt 1856 in Virginia)
- Sarah (b. abt 1859 in Virginia) m. Sweeney
- William (b. abt 1861 in Virginia)
- Theresa Agnas (b. 5/1864 in Wilmington, DE)[see above]
- John (b. abt 1869 in Wilmington, DE)
There is evidence the Steele's (Margaret's family) may have been from Addison, Alabama. Maybe George came into the U.S. through New Orleans, meet Margaret in Addison, Alabama, married and moved to Virginia. Possibly because of the Civil War, they moved to Wilmington, DE. This is just a guess based on the dates I have, but of course some dates don't match up perfectly.
If you can help me sort some things out or have a lead please e-mail me. Thanks!
- Daniel and George McBride at St Patty's Party (34 KB)
Daniel J. McBride and George J. McBride, Jr. pay DJ at Family St. Patty Party 1983.
- Donna McBride and Patricia Marie McBride (29 KB)
Donna McBride (left) and Patricia Marie McBride Christmas 1997.
- George J McBride, Jr. DJ's St Patty's Party (25 KB)
George J. McBride, Jr. spins the records at 13th Annual St. Patty's Party April 11, 1993.
- Dennis McBride Family (27 KB)
Dennis, Brendan, Patty, and Meghan McBride at 19th Family St. Patty's Party 1999.
- Patricia Marie McBride's Wedding Day (32 KB)
Donna McBride and Kevin J. McBride with Patricia Marie McBride on her Wedding Day August 13, 1994.
- George and Rita McBride Anniversary (28 KB)
Patricia and Dennis with George and Rita McBride on their 32nd Anniversary.
- George J. McBride, Jr. behind the desk at work (23 KB)
George J. McBride, Jr. Manager of Wilmington Postal Federal Credit Union.
- Kevin J. McBride tasting Wedding Cake (39 KB)
Kevin J. McBride test the cake at his sister Pat's Wedding August 13, 1994.
- George J. McBride, Jr. and brother Daniel (26 KB)
George J. McBride, Jr. (right) and brother Daniel at Patricia's wedding August 13, 1994.
- George and Rita McBride's Wedding Picture (45 KB)
George J. McBride, Jr. and Rita Marie Dennis on their Wedding Day, January 17, 1948.
- George J. McBride, Jr. and sister Mary (24 KB)
George J. McBride, Jr. and sister Mary about June 1990.
- Donegal Seal (15 KB)
Seal of County Donegal, Ireland
- George J. McBride, Jr. and twin sister Elizabeth (36 KB)
George J. McBride, Jr. and twin sister Elizabeth about August 1990.
- Kevin J McBride and sister Patricia with Santa (35 KB)
Kevin J McBride and sister Patricia Marie McBride with Santa 1967.
- McBride Family Seal (41 KB)
Motto: "Virtue overcomes danger"
- Kevin J. McBride and brother Dennis (43 KB)
Kevin J. McBride and brother Dennis at Burris Family Bash July 1998.
- 1842 Map of Donegal (788 KB)
Samuel Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland
- George and Rita McBride Family (29 KB)
Dennis, Donna, Patricia and Kevin at Family Annual St. Patty's Party April 11, 1993.
- Civil Parishes of County Donegal (31 KB)
Listing of the civil parishes in County Donegal