The McCallum Family of Portage du Fort:Information about Daniel O'Kane McCallum
Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals | |Sources
Daniel O'Kane McCallum (b. 15 Jul 1893, d. 10 Feb 1953)Daniel O'Kane McCallum (son of James McCallum and Marguerite K. Delorme) was born 15 Jul 1893 in Portage du Fort, Pontiac, Quebec, Canada967, 968, and died 10 Feb 1953 in Pontiac Community Hospital, Shawville, Quebec969.He married Jessie Evelyn Ross on 19 Jun 1916 in St. James RC, Portage Du Fort, Quebec, Canada970, 971, 972.
Notes for Daniel O'Kane McCallum:
Mother and Dad were married by Rev. J.T. Cote at St. James Parish Church.
Dad and Mother lived all their married life in Portage except for a couple of years in Renfrew where Dad worked in the munitions factory during W.W.I. When it closed they moved back to Portage and Dad worked on the river for the I.C.O. in the summer and for many winters went to the lumber camps. He worked as a blacksmith, carpenter and boat builder. He also built canoes, built a few fiddles and used to tan his own deer hides, make his own snowshoes and could turn his hand to almost anything. There are a number of houses in Portage and also Bryson, which he built. Some of them are Ben Tanguay's, Tom Tanguay's, Roy Dagg's and Uncle Steve Delorme's. I remember one winter when he and Wilfred spent a couple of months in the workshop making oars to use in the pointer boats (which he also built) for the I.C.O.
We raised our own hens and pigs and even at one time rabbits. We also had one horse for work and one cow for milk and cream. Dad used the horse to plow the garden and skid logs in the bush. He used to cut his own firewood on a load for load basis, one load for him and one for the bush lot owner.
Dad was a terrific fiddler and was in much demand to play at the local dances and weddings. I never knew if he could read music or not but he could listen to a tune a few times then pick up the violin and play it. When we first got a battery radio, he would tune in to "The Don Messer Show", listen intently to Don play, then get his fiddle out and play the tunes he had liked.
Funeral Services were conducted by Rev. R.J. Roney of Renfrew, Ontario.
Pallbearers were; Joseph Toner, Robert Lynn, Billie Burns, Tom Dagg, Aime Essiambre and Cecil Elliott.
Witness to:Eleanor M. Lance #925BaptizedJul 29 1918St. James RC, Portage Du Fort, Quebec, Canada
Witness to:Myrtle Mary Nicholas#614 #614 & Joseph John Cameron #606MarriedAug3 1925St. James RC, Portage Du Fort, Quebec, Canada
Witness to:Evelyn Mary Mildred Cameron#615 #615BaptizedAug9 1925St. James RC, Portage Du Fort, Quebec, Canada
More About Daniel O'Kane McCallum:
Baptism: 06 Aug 1893, St. James RC, Portage Du Fort, Quebec, Canada.972, 973, 974
Burial: 13 Feb 1953, St. James RC, Portage Du Fort, Quebec, Canada.975
Confirmation: 24 Jun 1906, St. James RC, Portage Du Fort, Quebec, Canada.976
First Communion: 11 Jun 1906, St. James RC, Portage Du Fort, Quebec, Canada.976
Occupation: Carpenter, Blacksmith, Boat & Canoe Builder.977
Record Change: 16 Nov 2009
Residence 1: Bet. 1893 - 1916, Portage du Fort, Pontiac, Quebec, Canada.977
Residence 2: Bet. 1916 - 1918, Renfrew, Renfrew Co, Ontario, Canada.977
Residence 3: Bet. 1918 - 1953, Portage du Fort, Pontiac, Quebec, Canada.978
More About Daniel O'Kane McCallum and Jessie Evelyn Ross:
Marriage: 19 Jun 1916, St. James RC, Portage Du Fort, Quebec, Canada.979, 980, 981
Witnessed by: John Armand Dagg & Winnifred McCallum.981, 982
Children of Daniel O'Kane McCallum and Jessie Evelyn Ross are:
- Cecil James McCallum, b. 26 Jun 1917, Portage du Fort, Pontiac, Quebec, Canada983, d. 10 Mar 1939, Portage du Fort, Pontiac, Quebec, Canada984.
- +Gladys Evelyn McCallum, b. 22 Feb 1919, Portage du Fort, Pontiac, Quebec, Canada985, d. 26 Oct 2001, Pontiac Community Hospital, Shawville, Quebec.
- +Muriel Olive McCallum.
- +Carmella June McCallum, b. 07 Jun 1924, Portage du Fort, Pontiac, Quebec, Canada985, d. 01 Dec 2003, Portage du Fort, Pontiac, Quebec, Canada986.
- Daniel Bert Armond McCallum, b. 24 Aug 1926, Portage du Fort, Pontiac, Quebec, Canada987, d. 19 Sep 1985, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada988.
- +Garnet Irwin Joseph McCallum, b. 06 Jul 1929, Portage du Fort, Pontiac, Quebec, Canada989, d. 11 Apr 2000, Sacre Coeur Hospital, Hull, Que..
- +Gertrude Nora Mary McCallum, b. 20 Apr 1932, Portage du Fort, Pontiac, Quebec, Canada989, d. 20 Jan 1995, Pontiac Community Hospital, Shawville, Quebec990.
- +Margaret Helen Janet McCallum.
- Emerson Claude McCallum.