McCarty Family:Information about Hannah Richardson
Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals | |Sources
Hannah Richardson (b. Abt. 1716, d. date unknown)Hannah Richardson390 was born Abt. 1716, and died date unknown.She married Darby McCarty on July 04, 1736 in Philadelphia, Philadelphia County, PA391.
Notes for Hannah Richardson:
I have great admiration for all of ancestral women, but I know of no other who was more alone than Hannah was. I can't Imagine heading off to such a remote place as their home in the Shannandoha Valley was in 1744. To do this with four young children was a brave thing to do. With the nearest neighbor some twenty miles away and only a foot path to travel on it would be more than a days travel with four or more children. And she would give birth to sevem more children while living there. It is not known if she even had any help with the birth of her children. She had to make all of the families clothes, nurse them all when they were sick and be able to handle everything by herself. Any education the children recievied was mostly taught by her, Darby may have helped, but as far as as we know all of her children learned to read and write. She did it all and and more than will ever understand. What stories she could tell of her years in the wilderness.
More About Hannah Richardson and Darby McCarty:
Marriage: July 04, 1736, Philadelphia, Philadelphia County, PA.391
Marriage Notes for Hannah Richardson and Darby McCarty:
The marriage record is the only source for the madden name of Hannah. As with any single source there is always some question as to if this record is for my ancestors Darby and Hannah or another Darby Carty who just happen to Marrie a Hannah at about the same time and place. In my opinion James date of birth lends some support to this being my ancestors record as it contains the same date, July 4 1736. James date of birth has been questioned ever since the marriage record was found by researchers. It would really be a coincidence that they were married on the same day as James was born and there is no doubt about the date of marriage, so only James date of birth is in question. See notes on James McCarty for more on his birth.
Darby and Hanah were married by the Reverend Andrews of the First Presbyterian Church of Philadelphia, PA. The marriage was recorded in his ledger book, the kind that was carried in a saddle bag of a Evangelist or circuit minster. It may be assumed the reverend traveled to where Darby and Hannah lived and it wasn't in Philadelphia, PA. But how large an area he corvered is unknown, did it cover as far as Burcks County, PA , where Darby was known to live or did they live somewhere else at the time? Some people believe they were married in a civil marriage until they could be married by a minister and he just happened to show up on the day James was born. This may also mean they were not of the Presbyterian faith or Church but by the first minister who came to where they lived. The record itself only has a date and the names of the people who were married. It is nice to know her maiden name and when they were married but it would be great if it gave more information like there age, her father's name and where they lived at the time.
Children of Hannah Richardson and Darby McCarty are:
- +James McCarty, b. July 04, 1736, PA392, d. Bef. February 15, 1802, Graigner County, TN393.
- Mary McCarty, b. December 10, 1738, PA, d. date unknown.
- Isaac McCarty, b. April 18, 1741, Bucks County, PA, d. date unknown.
- Sarah McCarty, b. July 03, 1743, Bucks County, PA, d. date unknown.
- Rachel McCarty, b. October 28, 1745, Frederick County, VA, d. date unknown.
- Elizabeth McCarty, b. June 18, 1748, Frederick County, VA, d. date unknown.
- Hannah McCarty, b. December 09, 1750, Frederick County, VA, d. date unknown.
- Enoch McCarty, b. April 29, 1753, Frederick County, VA, d. date unknown.
- +Jonathan McCarty, b. April 29, 1756, Frederick County, VA, d. February 12, 1827, Decatur County, IN.
- Lydia McCarty, b. April 30, 1756, Frederick County, VA, d. date unknown.
- Benjamin McCarty, b. December 22, 1759, Frederick County, VA, d. August 16, 1837, Franklin County, IN.