46.Jane5 Packwood (ParringtonProvst4, Larkin3, Samuel2, Samuel1)She married James T. Hopper. Child of Jane Packwood and James Hopper is:
MARY ANN6 HOPPER, b. Abt. 1838; m. JAMES B. GIPSON, January 09, 1859, Stone Co. Missouri.
47.Mary5 Packwood (LarkinCanada4, Larkin3, Samuel2, Samuel1) diedin in early womanhood, possibly in Quincy, ILL (Source: "The Centennial History of Oregon").She married Dr. ?. Notes for Mary Packwood: Mary married a physician of Quincy, Illinois, and died in early womanhood.She had asisterr, Agnes, who married twice.Agnes was from Coos County, Oregon. Child of Mary Packwood and Dr. ? is:
48.Agnes5 Packwood (LarkinCanada4, Larkin3, Samuel2, Samuel1) died Abt. 1882 in Coos County, OR (Source: "The Centennial History of Oregon").She married ?. Child of Agnes Packwood and ? is:
49.Judge William Henderson5 Packwood (LarkinCanada4, Larkin3, Samuel2, Samuel1) was born October 23, 1832 in Jordans Prairie, north of Mount Vernon, IL, and died 1917 in Baker County, Oregon.He married Josephine Ann O'Brien October 16, 1862 in Auburn City, Baker Co., Oregon (Source: Blanche McCutcheon Koll CA "Oregon Statesman" Newspaper Nov. 10, 1862 page 2 column 7.).She was born in from Omaha, Nebraska Territory. Notes for Judge William Henderson Packwood: "THE CENTENNIAL HISTORY OF OREGON" PG. 157-161 Judge W. H. Henderson.The last surviving member of the state constitutional convention, Judge W. H. Packwood, came to the Pacific coast in 1849 and there is no notable experience of any kind connected with the upbuilding of the north- west with which he has not been actively associated, from the subjugation of the Indians to the reclamation of the arid lands through the conservation of the water supplies.No history of the state would be complete without extended reference to him and his life work.Tradition gives the origin of the family name of Packwood as follows:In Colonial days there was a flood in the Potomac River valley in Virginia; on which occasion a small boy too young to know or tell his name was taken by some boatmen from an immense drift tree.They reared the little lad and called him Billy.He was a strong, vigorous boy and would carry big loads of wood to the boat.Because of this it was proposed that he should be called Packwood, which name was adopted.He became a large stockman, married, settled on the James river and reared a family, from whom all of the Packwoods know to the judge have been descended.This story of his ancestry came to him from his father's first cousin, "Uncle" Elisha Pack- wood, whom he met in 1864, and who died some years ago in Washington.In 1834 he had visited his old grandmother, then more than one hundred years of age, well cared for by two negro slaves, there being about three hundred on the plantation.His grandfather had willed that the negroes should have all they made on the plantation from his to her death and that alll that would emigrate to Texas should be free.This will was undoubtedly made before the admission of Texas to the Union.An old Scotchman, Archie Downey, in Baker county said his people joined the Packwoods in Virginia and that the name of the subject of this review should be Duncan, for he claimed that at the time of the flood when a boy was found on a tree it was known that four families had settled well up the river and that all were drowned save perhaps this one boy, for it was known that a family of the name of Duncan had a boy about the age of the one picked up and it was believed that he was the Duncan boy. Larkin Packwood, the grandfather of Judge Packwood, was born in Virginia and afterward went to Kentucky and to Tennessee.He married had ten sons and two daughters, including Larkin Canada Packwood, who was one of the youngest and was born in Tennessee.The grandfather removed to Illinois and, owning slaves, at the admission of the state to the Union, removed into the Ozark country of Missouri.Larkin C. Packwood did not go with him but remained in Illinois and on October 31, 1831, married Elizabeth Cathcart Storm- ont, who was born in South Carolina, a descendant of the Cathcart family of Scotland, and came to Illinois about 1826. The son of this marriage, William Henderson Packwood, was born on Jord- ans Prairie, north of Mount Vernon, Illinois, October 23, 1832.His middle name was in honor of his grandmother's family, the Hendersons of Kentucky.The father, Larkin C. Packwood, first followed farming and was afterward foreman for R. G. Shannon, a prominent merchant of Sparta, Randolph County, Illinois, for weven years or more.His son William was there sent to school for about 18 months or two years, acquainting himself with the "three R's", which was all the schooling he ever had.His father then removed about four miles east of St. Louis and conducted a dairy.Early in 1844 he wwent to Collinsville, where his wife died on September 8th of that year.She had become the mother of two sons and four daughters, of whom one son and two daughters died very early in life.Mary became the wife of a physician of Qincy, Illinois, and died in early womanhood. Agnes, the other daughter was married twice and her death occured in Coos County, Oregon, about thirty years ago.After losing his first wife, Larkin C. Packwood married again and removed to St. Louis.He hauled wood to the city and made trips as a peddler to southern Missouri, usually accompanied by his son William, who well remembers being frequently called upon to read and write for groups of old men and women, young men and girls, who regarded it as a wonderful thing to see a boy or twelve or thirteen years read and write as well as he did.He spent one summer on the farm of Ed Dews, twenty-five miles east of St. Louis, and a winter and part of one summer at the home of his grandfather Stormont in Jefferson County, Illinois.He then joined his father, who had removed to Springfield, and in the winter clerked in a grocery store, while in the summer he worked on a farm, being thus employed until September, 1848.He frequently met Abraham Lincoln, for they both followed the same road in going to the business section of Springfield--Lincoln on his way to his law office and Judge Packwood to his place as clerk in the store. On the 23rd of September, 1848, having secured the reluctant consent of his father for his enlistment in the Mexican War, he attempted to join the army as one of Captain J.B Backenstos' Mounted Rifles, the captain agreeing to accept him on the promise that he would "never desert".He was then in his 15th year and by hard stretching could reach the standard of five feet three ince.The re- cruits were sent to Jefferson barracks in Dec. 1848, and were then examined as to their physical fitness to become soldiers.They stripped and the exam- ing physician, thumping Judge Packwood on the breast, said he would not live to be twenty-two.That this was a death blow to his hopes must have shown in his face, for as he went out Colonel W. W. Loring, commanding the United States Mounted Rifles, approachedhim and in a low tone asked:"Do you want to go?"He said that he did and the next day when the rejected were reexam- ined by a board of doctors Colonel Loring, again standing near the door, came up to him with one of the examiners.He was not asked to undress bu was sent out, passed.He was assigned to Company B United States Mounted Rifles, under Captain Noah Newton, and marched overland to Forth Leavenworth, Colonel Loring establishing Camp Sumner about five miles west of the fort, where he drilled the regiment.On the 10th of May they broke camp and began the long march to Oregon with General Wilson, commissioner of Indian affairs for the Pacific coast, Captain R. M. Morris of the Rifles, Lt. Haynes of the Artil- lery and 25 men of Company D acting as an escort.On the 5th of June they broke camp and marched across the plains to Sacramento, spending five months on the trip, and proceeded to Fort Kearney, thence to Fort Laramie, on to Fort Bridger, to Salt Lake City, and to Haughton, now Placerville, CA.They frequently saw Indians and many herds of buffalo, one herd being estimated at five thousand head.Cholera was prevalent along the route and there were many descecrated graves.All of the privations and the hardships of campaign- ing across the plains in 1849 were experienced.The winter was spent at So- noma, during which time Colonel Joe Hooker was tried by a general court mar- tial.Judge Packwood was detailed as orderly for the court, which lasted ten or more days, during which he met many men who afterward won distinction in the Civil War.By April only 3 or 4 of the original escort remained, the others having gone to the mines.These were put on board the revenue cutter Ewing bound for Astoria, Oregon, and they were in a heavy storm lasting about ten days.As they approached the Columbia river night drew on but there was no wind and Captain McArthur secured a whaling boat, put in a crew and towed it over the bar.From Astoria they pulled up the river to Fort Vancouver and join- ed the regiment.At Astoria, Judge Packwood saw the timer that was gotten out by D. M. Frost for the keel of the first steamboat ever built on the Columbia river.It was named the Columbia and came up to Frot Vancouver in July, 1850. In 1851 the command to which Judge Packwood belonged was sent to Cali- fornia.Their steamer, the Massachusetts, stuck on the bar and had to put back into Bakers bay but the next day was more successful in making the ocean and proceeded to San Francisco and thence to Benicia, where the troops remained on attached service with the infantry then at the post.Judge Packwood served with Major Wessels as escort for Colonel Roderick McKee, commissioner, making treaties with all the California Indians from Clear Lake to Scotts Valley and from the Trinity and Klamath rivers down the Sacramento Valley by Reddings and on the Benicia, where he served until transferred to Company C, First United States Dragoons.In 1851 there was trouble with the Coquille and Coast Indians and Judge Packwood's command was put on the chooner Lincoln at San Franciso with First Lt. Stanton in command bound for Port Orford.A heavy December storm wrecked the boat, which was driven ashore opposite to the present site of Empire City on Coos Bay, January 3, 1852.The wind and tide drove them high on the beach.No lives were lost but the vessel was a to- tal wreck. With the help of the Indians, however, they saved their supplies and made a camp near the beach, whence they went overland to Port Orford in May. Judge Packwood was soon afterward promoted to corporal and later to serg- eant of the post.He was out with scouting parties and was with Lt. Stanton in Luly 1852, in a fight with the Indians at Big Bend, on the Rogue River.His headquarters wereat Port Orford until he was discharged, Sept. 23, 1853, having served the full five years.Mines have been found along the seaside and he and a partner, George H. Abbott, purchased horses and followed packing.They also took up mining claims which they later sold and went up the Coquillriver, securing a ranch.The Indians causing trouble, a company was formed of which Mr. Abbott became captain, and Judge Packwood lieuten- ant.After some of the Indians were killed peace was declared.The partners then followed mining, packing and merchandising until December, 1854, when Mr. Abbott went on a prospecting trip to California, Judge Packwood remaining on the Coquille River.In 1855, on the outbreak of the Indian War, a company was formed of which he was elected captain, afterward receiving a commission as captain of the Coquille Guards from George L. Curry, governor of Oregon.By making an active and aggressive campaign in which two Indians were killed he brought about the surrender of all three tribes, turning them over to Ben Wright, Indian agent.He then discharged his company after fifty-three days' service.He next went to Coos Bay, joined Captain W.H. Harris of the Volunteers, and was elected sergeant.They had been in the service over one hundred days when the war closed.Judge Packwood, then made up reports for S.S. Mann, quartermaster, and B.F. White, acting assistant commissary, re- ceiving sixteen dollars per day in war script for eighty day's work.He then went to the Sexes river mines and in 1857, when an election was held to choose members to form a state constitution.Judge Packwood, who was then not 25 years of age and had not voted up to that time, was unanimously chosen to represent Curry County.He had previously taken part in making laws in mining camps and even presided as chairman at miners' meetings but had no other experience qualifying him for the position.Stating this fact to his old partner, the latter gave him the advice: "Be yourself".he took his place as a member of as distinguished a body of men as ever met in Oregon, two be- coming governors, four U.S. Senators, two congressmen, one a federal judge, six judges of the state courts, one attorney general and one of the United States and mayor of Portland and still another mayor of Portland, while another enjoyed the distinction of being successively congressman, governor and U.S. Senator.At the beginning Judge Packwood knew only two members, Judge Deady and David Logan.He was instrumental in having the elk placed on the seal of the state, where it can be seen now, and for over firty years past has appeared on the first page of "Every Oregonian". Judge Packwood is now the only living member of that convention.After its adjournment he visited his old friend Abbott at Siletz and Yaquina Bay, where he was subagent for the Indians.That winter Judge Packwood clerked for Metcalf, the Indian agent, and in the spring resumed the raising of cattle and horses at Coquille.He was elected assessor of Coos County, not knowing that he was a candidate until the day of election.In 1862 he lost his ranch, cattle and horses and started for the mines of eastern Orregon, discovered in the fall of 1861, arriving at Blue Can- yon on June 12 and helping lay out the town of Auburn the following day.There he began merchandising, freighting and packing, becoming a member of the firm of Knight, Abbott & Packwood, and in connection with Ira Ward and others he organized the Auburn Water Company and located the water rights about August 3, 1862.They built some miles of ditches and sold out in November at twenty-five per cent profit.The work was completed at a cost of about two hun- dred and twenty-five thousand dollars and the water rights are now owned by Baker as the water supply for the city.He was one of three men selected to act as judges for the miners in September to try a Frenchman who was later hung for poisoning his partners.The other judges were a Mr. Able and James R. McBride, afterward appointed consul to the Hawaiian Islands by President Lin- coln.The trial was by jury. On Cotober 16, 1862, Judge Packwood maried Miss Johanna A. O'Brien, who came across the plains with her sister and brother-in-law, Daniel Mc- Laughlin. She taught the first school Omaha and with the assistance of the miners had a schoolhouse built and opened a school in Auburn, the first in eastern Oregon, remaining as teacher until her marriage.In September the legislature created Baker County and Judge Packwood was appointed school superintendent, issuing to Mrs. Stafford the first teacher's certificate in the county.He also signe the first call for the union republican party in Baker to send delegates to the convention to nominate a ticket for the ensuing election. The full ticket was nominated and elected in June and he canvassed and made speeches in favor of Lincoln in every precinct in the county.In 1863, with Ruf- us Perkins and others, Judge Packwood bult Clark's Creek ditch and put to work the first hydraulic claims on the creek.He owned a fourteen twenty-fourths interest in this.In 1863 and 1864 he was interested with Knight and Abbott in merchandising and in freighting to Idaho City and Boonevile but the Owyhee mines failed and Judge Packwood's loss, for he paid the debts, was fully forty- five thousand dollars.In 1864 he began the construction of the Burnt river ditch to extend to Clark's creek and after paying out three thousand dollars afterward sold it for six hundred dollars.The same year he was the principal in locating the Burnt river ditch to extend to the Eldorado mines.After building and running water fifty-seven miles to Eldorado the company sold out.After various changes, lawsuits and agreements Judge Packwood finally completed the ditch in 1874 and ran water to Fourth of July gulch, about one hundred and thirty-five miles.The ditch cost at least five hundred thousand but Judge Pack- wood was practically swindled out of his rights and left with a worthless judgment in his wife's name for purchase money that now with interest amounts to over one hundred thousand dollars.In 1870, with Alexander Stew- art he located the Eagle Creek ditch to run to the Koost mines, being associat- ed in this enterprise with Rufus Perkins, I.B. Bowen, Sr., and E.P. Cranston.In 1871 they built the Eagle canal at a cost of ninety thousand dollars and the following year he and Mr. Stewart sold out their interests at a net profit of $21,600.They then bought and operated a ten stamp steam mill and a five stamp water power mill and built the summit and other quartz mines near Sanger, in Union County.About April, 1863, Judge Packwood purchased a three-quarters interest in the Washoe ferry and incorporated the Oregon Road, Bridge, and Ferry Company, capitalized at three thousand dollars.They owned the Olds, Central and Washoe ferries and built and controlled about seventy miles of road.Judge Packwood was secretary, treasurer, and practically gen- erally manager.The ferries in those days were the haunts of bad men--horse thieves and highwaymen--and the Washoe had a bad name, harboring men who afterwards met justice at the hands of the vigilantes.It was this condition of affairs that practically governed Judge Packwood'sownership of the ferry, for in Feb. 1864, ten or twelve men came from Payette, Idaho, and locked them in a cabin, intending to hang them the next morning, but they picked the lock, swam the Snake River in February at Washo, obtained their canoes and escap- ed.Later Judge Packwood met Byron going to Walla Walla and he said he could never go back and also that Stewart was at Auburn and that he, Pack- wood, should have the ferry.On reaching Auburn he learned the true situation; The Washoe was the key to the ferrying on Snake River for the Boise Basin mines from the fact that it cut off the ferrying of the Weiser and Payette rivers in Idaho and that the real cause of the kidnapping of the two men was to obtain control of the ferry.When Stewart and Byron had come from Washington to Nevada Judge Packwood had befriended them, had given them food and sup- plied their needs, so without a dollar in exchange they made over the ferry to him although some time afterward he paid them $5,000 for their share of the property.When he left Auburn to go to the ferries bets were freely ofered that he would be mobbed, etc., but he fearlessly faced the situation, Olds and Parton came to his terms, there was no more mobbing and by July the harbor- ing of horse thieves had become a thing of the past.He operated the ferries until 1868, when he sold out, for the building of the Union Pacific railroad had diverted trade to other centers.He had cleared about 36,000 dollars in 32 months. Judge Packwood next went to Eldorado, devoting his time to the building of the Burnt River ditch from 1874 until 1887.The following year he was elected police judge and clerk for Baker City and for five successive years, although he is a republican and the council is democratic, he held the offie.He then went to the coast, near Port Orford, to try beach mlining and a year later began survey work on the Daly Creek ditch to Snake river.He afterward worked on the Northwestern railroad down Snake River, keeping accounts for Taylor, a subcontractor.When the work was closed there he went to the Pacific & Idaho Northern railway and secured a position as leveler on Friends division under Colonel Moore, chief engineer, but found the cross-sectioning on the Weiser river canyons below Salubria was too hard on him.He next became an ac- countant for TAylor, the contractor, until the work closed in December, when he returned to Baker.in a few days he became bookeeper for the Columbia Gold Mining Company, acting in that capacity for seven or more years.But the snow was deep and the winters long at the mines, forcing to change his pos- ition.Returning to Baker, he became assistant postmaster and remained in the office until between seventy-seven and seventy-eight years of age, when he resigned.He hassurveyed many ditches all ofver the country, has worked at leveling and cross-sectioning the railroad from Cove to Union in Union County and has been closely connected with much of the pioneer work in the northwest.His last military survey was under Major Gener O. O. Howard, who appointed him chief of scouts for the Malheur country in the BAnnock Indian War of 1877-78.His ranch and cattle interests for various reasons that no one could coresee proved almost a total loss.At the time of the Civil War he was a member of the Union League, which is the only order to which he ever belonged. Judge and Mrs. Packwood have two sons and three daughters.Mary Eliz- abeth, born in August, 1865, became the wife of Charles F. Hyde, and died about 3 years ago, leaving two sons and five daughters, the eldest daughter being now the wife of Dr. F.C. Vaughan, of Prtland.William H. Packwood, Jr., a lawyer, has been married and has a son and daughter.Jefferson Carter, the third of the family, is an accountant.Edith Gonzaga is the wife of ex-State Senator John L. Rand, a lawyer of Baker, and has two sons.Martha Amelia is the wife of Dr. L.G. Wheeler, a mining promoter, now at Winnemucca, Nevada, and has a daughter. There are four living children and twelve grandchildren. Mrs. Packwood and children are of the Catholic faith.The Judge's people were Covenators and he joined the Christian church long years ago.While not an active church worker, he has tried to be a practical Christian, attempting to live rather that to preach Christianity.Honorable principles and worth purposees have guided him throughout his entire life.He has always endeavored to up- build the state and he was instrumental in inducing Dr. Hennan, now deceased, to bring a colony of Germans from Baltimore to settle on the Coquille River in Coos County.His entire life has been full of interesting events.In nearly every enterprise in which he has engaged he has been the controlling spirit and on most occasiions success has attended him.If he has experienced failure it was because he had too much confidence in his felow men.While he has had hundreds of men in his employ he haas never missed a pay day nor had a strike.He is, as previously stated, the last surviving member of the state constitutional convention and with one exception the last survivor of the Mounted Rifles that came to Oregon in 1859.He belongs to the Oregon Pioneer Association, has for several years been a member of the Oregon His- torical Society, is an Indian War veteran and may well claim to be one of those pioneers who have blazed the way for the march of civilization and who "Be- longed to the legion that never were listed. They carried no banner nor crest: But, split in a thousand detachments, Were breaking the ground for the rest" (book was probably written before 1917, when he died) More About Judge William Henderson Packwood: Fact 1: 1857, delegate to Oregon Constitutional Convention 1857 (Source: Blanche McCutcheon Koll CA) Fact 2: November 06, 1855, enlisted Indian War, Oregon Militia (Source: Blanche McCutcheon Koll CA Indian War Pension Records Index #887 Vol. 9 Reg.) Fact 3: December 28, 1855, discharged (Source: Blanche McCutcheon Koll CA Indian War Pension Records Index #887 Vol. 9 Reg.) Fact 4: June 1857, Election returns Curry Co., OR (Source: Blanche McCutcheon Koll CA Oregon Provisonal & Territorial Government Papers IndexMicrofilm # 2269) Children of William Packwood and Josephine O'Brien are: