| ||Notes for William "Willie" Mashell Vickers:|
In the late 1880's, Willie Vickers built a white frame non-denominational church, known simply as Carver Church, not far from the Vickers family home.The church was torn down in the mid 1940's and replaced with a red brick churchwe know today as Carver Missionary Baptist.
SOURCE: "Wiley Vickers, Pioneer of Coffee County" ... pg. 45-46
"WILLIE VICKERS - THE CONFEDERATE SOLDIER
When Gen. Robert E. Lee, Commander of the Army of Northern VA., surrendered his hungery, ragged, depleted troops at Appomattox Courthouse on April 09, 1865, a young Coffee Countain was among those surviving.He was William Marshall "Willie" Vickers, the 21 year old grandson of Wiley Vickers who first settled in the area now known as Coffee County.
Nearly three years earlier, when the 61st GA Regiment arrived in Virginia, they were more than 1,000 strong.Willie Vickers was among the only 81 from the Regiment that left the ditches at Petersburg and the 49 armed and in the line at the Appomattox surrender.
In August 1861, the same month Willie Vickers turned 18 years of age, he was mustered into the Confederate service at the junction on the Augusta and Savannah Railroad, Eden, Ga., No. 2.. Known at first as the Seventh GA Battalion, Willie Vickers was a member of the unit's Company A, known as the "Irwin Cowboys", from Irwin County, GA.. Other companies in the seven-company battalion were the Tattnall Rangers from Tattnall County, Brooks Rifles from Brooks County, Montgomery Sharpshooters from Montgomery County, Wiregrass Rifles from Quitman County, and the Wilkes Guards from Wilkes County.
Armed with the best Enfield rifles, these seven companies were ordered to Jekyll Island "where they had to work very hard building a fort, and fighting sand flies and mosquitoes, and drilling siege artillery, and company and battalion drill with small arms".after completing construction of the fort, Private Willie Vickers and fellow troops were transferred to Camp Bethesda some 100 miles south of Savannah where the battalion was well drilled, and two companies, The Tattnall Volunteers from Tattnall County and the Thompson Guards from the city of Macon, were added.
The nine companies transferred on May 20, 1862 to Charleston, SC., where Company K was formed by volunteers from the different companies in the battalion.The Seventh Georgia Battalion, with 10 companies and some 1,000 men then became known as the 61st Georgia Regiment.On June 2, three years of fighting in some of the Civil War's most historic battles such as: Chancellor, Gettysburg, and Petersburg.Willie Vickers was wounded during one of the battles and was sent to a hospital in Richmond for treatment.After his recovery, he returned to the battlefield.
The 61st GA Regiment was a part of John B. Gordon's Brigade of 7,000, which numbered only 747 at the time of the surrender.In 1865, Company A of the GA 61st listed only seven survivors at the time of the surrender.Those left were: J. McDuffie, R.H. Henderson, William Branch, J. Branch, Henry Paulk, M. Hansel, and Willie Vickers.
SOURCE: "Wiley Vickers, Pioneer of Coffee County Georgia" compiled by Jessie H. & Delma (Wilson) Paulk ... pg. 44-45.