My Genealogy Home Page:Information about Robert Stoball Scruggs
Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals | |Sources
Robert Stoball Scruggs (b. Jun 19, 1800, d. Dec 07, 1890)Robert Stoball Scruggs (son of Richard Scruggs and Mary "Molly" Dobbins)259, 260 was born Jun 19, 1800 in Spartanburg County, SC, and died Dec 07, 1890.He married Catherine Connel on 1822.
Notes for Robert Stoball Scruggs:
Census: 1830 Spartanburg County, SC page 263a
Census: 1840 Spartanburg County, SC page 156b
Census: 14 SEP 1850 Spartanburg County, SC page 173a
Census: 15 AUG 1860 Northern Division, Spartanburg County, SC page 292b
Census: AUG 1870 Cherokee Township, Spartanburg County, SC page 399a
Census: 11 JUN 1880 Limestone Springs Township, Spartanburg County, SC page 246a
Robert own the property that the Battle of Cowpens was fought on. His house is the log cabin that is located on the Cowpens National battlefield. He built the cabin around 1828.
Roberts father Richard moved just across the state line about 1805 and started farming near the site of cowpens battlefield. The Richard Scruggs home site is located about one half mile south of the Cabin which is onthe Battlefield.Robert grew up working on his fathers farm. He marriedCatherine Connel. In 1828 they were given 200 acres of land by Richard Scruggs. Robert built the cabin on part of this land. He and Catherine begain clearing the land so that it could be farmed. They raised eleven(11) children. They relied on the farm for their living. In May 1847 Robert was apponited postmaster of the newly established Cowpens Post Office. He retained this position until August, 1859, when James H. Ezell replaced him.
The fields of the Scruggs farm were mostly planted in corn. Smaller plots were planted in wheat, rye, oats and sweet potatoes. They raised pigs and cattle but were not as numerous as sheep.
Robert Scruggs ran a country store. His store stood on the other side of the Green River Road which runs directly in front of his cabin.
1870 Census Spartanburg Co., SC Page 392B, Cherokee Township, Spartanburg Court House PO, Aug
More About Robert Stoball Scruggs:
Date born 2: Jun 19, 1800, Rutherford , North Carolina.260
Burial 1: Unknown, New Pleasant Baptist Church Cemetary, Cherokee County, SC.
Burial 2: New Pleasant Baptist Church, Cherokee , Gaffney, South Carolina.260
Died 2: Dec 07, 1890, Spartanburg, Spartanburg , South Carolina.260
Record Change: Sep 14, 2003260
More About Robert Stoball Scruggs and Catherine Connel:
Marriage 1: 1822
Marriage 2: Abt. 1822260
Children of Robert Stoball Scruggs and Catherine Connel are:
- +Robert Dennis Scruggs, b. Nov 19, 1840, Cowpens, Spartanburg , South Carolina260, d. Jul 04, 1916, Cherokee South Carolina.
- John Walton Scruggs, b. 1823260, d. date unknown.
- Lemuel Durham Scruggs, b. Jan 31, 1825260, d. Mar 14, 1913260.
- Richard Allen Scruggs, b. Mar 08, 1826260, d. 1910260.
- Wilson Nelson Scruggs, b. Feb 18, 1828260, d. date unknown.
- Mary E. Scruggs, b. Aug 15, 1831260, d. Apr 10, 1917260.
- Delia (Deliah, Delila, Drucilla) Scruggs, b. 1832, , Spartanburg, South Carolina260, d. date unknown.
- Judy/Julia E. Scruggs, b. 1834260, d. date unknown.
- Martha J. Scruggs, b. 1835260, d. date unknown.
- Pamthea "Susan" Nancy Scruggs, b. Sep 18, 1835, , Spartanburg, South Carolina260, d. Oct 18, 1909, , Cherokee, South Carolina260.
- Amanda Scruggs, b. 1837260, d. date unknown.
- Sarah E. (Sallie) Scruggs, b. Apr 1837, of , Spartanburg, South Carolina260, d. date unknown.
- Drury Samson Scruggs, b. Oct 13, 1845260, d. Jul 25, 1914260.
- James Augustus "Black" Scruggs, b. Nov 01, 1848, , Spartanburg, South Carolina260, d. Aug 12, 1923260.