My Genealogy Home Page:Information about Elizabeth Ellen Green
Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals | |Sources
Elizabeth Ellen Green (b. November 27, 1831, d. October 17, 1901)Elizabeth Ellen Green was born November 27, 1831 in Terre Haute, Virgo County, Indiana, and died October 17, 1901 in Junction City Oregon.She married John Wesley Owen, Jr. on October 01, 1848 in Madison County Illinois, son of John Wesley Owen, Sr. and Mary Polly Seat.
Notes for Elizabeth Ellen Green:
Oskaloosa Times - Friday October 25, 1901
Mrs. Pavey was grieved to learn of the death of her mother, Mrs. E. E. Owen, on the 20th.Mrs. Owen died very suddenly of heart disease at the house of her daughter in Junction City Oregon.(daughter - Mary Elizabeth Owen Painter Archibald)
Marriage record of W. M. Hazelwood and Nancy W. Varner married Novemer 19, 1865.This could be a second marriage for Nancy and she could be Elizabeth E. Green Owen's sister.I did not find them in the 1865 census index or 1875, unless the index is wrong, which is possible.
Valley Falls Kansas New Era October 27, 1877 p.3
J. W. Owen's brother-in-law, Wm. Hazelwood, who left here last spring, and went to Silver City New Mexico, was not long since killed and scalped by the Indians while carrying the mail in Arizona.
Comments from Alfred Earl Archibald:She died the year before I was born.The family camped in the Cottge Grove area near a spring.She passed away there and she is buried at Pleasant View Cemetery, Cottage Grove. (ed. she is buried at Mt. Vernon Pioneer Cemetery, Springfield Oregon; she was in Kansas for the 1900 census).
James Alexander told Al that John Wesley Owen bought livestock and chickens and sold them at his store
Comments from Pete Archibald:Remembers Elizabeth Ellen sitting in a rocking chair on the porch smoking her small clay pipe.The family kept the pipe for years after her death.She lived with Mary Elizabeth.
More About Elizabeth Ellen Green:
Fact 1: 1900, Census Rock Crk Mother born in Tennessee and Father born in Kentucky;.
Fact 2: 1901, Buried Mt. Vernon Pioneer Cemetery, Springfield Oregon; picture of grave in file.
Fact 3: October 25, 1901, Oskaloosa Times - Mrs. E. E. Owen died on the 20th.
Fact 4: 1900, Census:12 children 9 living.
More About Elizabeth Ellen Green and John Wesley Owen, Jr.:
Marriage: October 01, 1848, Madison County Illinois.
Marriage Fact: Madison County Marriage Register.
Children of Elizabeth Ellen Green and John Wesley Owen, Jr. are:
- +Alexander G. Owen, b. July 1852, Indiana, d. 1915, Jefferson County Kansas.
- +William Lewis Owen, b. February 14, 1857, Grasshopper Falls, Kansas, d. May 05, 1927, San Francisco, California.
- +Jacob L. Owen, b. December 13, 1858, Grasshopper Falls, Kansas, d. July 21, 1928, Los Angeles, California.
- +Isabella Lillie I. Owen, b. November 1859, Illinois, d. July 04, 1942, Alameda County California.
- +Mary Elizabeth Owen, b. June 27, 1861, Valley Falls, Kansas, d. December 02, 1943, Corvallis, Oregon.
- +Charles Melville Owen, b. November 07, 1863, Rock Creek, Kansas, d. July 10, 1956, Williams, Arizona.
- Elleen Ella M. Owen, b. 1866.
- Ina Inez Josephine Owen, b. February 18, 1868.
- +Laura Ella Sophelia Owen, b. July 1870, Valley Falls Kansas, d. December 15, 1944, Kingman Kansas.
- Myrtle Owen, b. 1875.