The Overcashes of Atlanta:Information about Paul Blackwelder
Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals | |Sources
Paul Blackwelder (b. Abt. 1800, d. Aft. 1870)Paul Blackwelder (son of Isaac Blackwelder and Mary Redling)402, 403, 404 was born Abt. 1800 in Cabarrus co., NC, and died Aft. 1870 in Mecklenburg, Co., NC.He married Christina Ritchie on September 21, 1824 in Cabarrus Co., NC.
Notes for Paul Blackwelder:
Childrens birthdates are actual baptism dates at St John's E. L. Lutheran in Cabarrus co., NC.
From this point, information is from Mecklenburg County Marriage records, 1850, 1860 and 1870 Mecklenburg Census.
Zoah Methodist church cemetery, Meck. co., NC
Centenary Methodist Church, Iredell Co., NC
Uncle Monroe Blackwelder interview in the 1960s.
Paul moved to Steele Creek Twp of Mecklenburg Co., NC between 1840 and 1850.He appears in the 1850 census living near the Catawba River in lower Steele Creek.Living next to him was the Wentz family.It appears that paul incurred debts as evident from a recorded debt i Meck. Co. dated 26 Aug 1850, of his Indenture to John N. Kerr.He sells the following items to pay his debt to John Kerr for $1, as follows:One brown horse, one clock, one Bureau and all my interest of crop corn growing on the lands of Wm H. Heel, to have and to hold as security.He owed Wm. H. Neel $40 and Thomas J. Grier, $15.
He was listed as a laborer and farm hand.His son, Moses married Sarah Ann Kerr in Jan of that same year so it may be that John Kerr was her father.
In the 1860 census, Paul is shown as being a carpenter.
Paul Blackwelder59 Carpenter
Simeon20 Invalid and insane
Harriott19(This was Alfred's wife)
By 1870, Paul is still living but is a farm hand in the household of John Millen and his worth is $10.John Millen lived near the Youngblood home at the end of Youngblood Rd.
Christina is shown living with her grandson, Thomas Thornburg (son of Mary Ann Blackwelder and Samuel Thornburg)Simeon must have died between the 1860 and 1970 census.
Neither Paul, Christina or Simeon's graves have been found.It is presumed there was not enough money to errect a monument.The three of them may have been in unmarked graves at Zoar Methodist church where his son, JohnPaulus was a founding member.
More About Paul Blackwelder and Christina Ritchie:
Marriage: September 21, 1824, Cabarrus Co., NC.
Children of Paul Blackwelder and Christina Ritchie are:
- +Mary Ann Blackwelder, b. December 11, 1825, Cabarrus co., NC, d. Aft. 1880, Iredell Co., NC.
- +Eli Blackwelder, b. January 03, 1826, Cabarrus Co., NC, d. WFT Est. 1854-1917.
- +Elizabeth Blackwelder, b. January 03, 1826, Cabarrus co., NC, d. Abt. 1862.
- Marion Blackwelder, b. October 25, 1827, d. WFT Est. 1828-1917.
- +Moses Blackwelder, b. April 14, 1829, Cabarrus co., NC, d. WFT Est. 1871-1920.
- +Esther Blackwelder, b. November 27, 1830, Cabarrus co., NC, d. WFT Est. 1870-1925.
- +John Paulus Blackwelder, b. March 14, 1832, Cabarrus co., NC, d. November 03, 1882, Fort Mill area, York co., SC.
- +Isaac Wilson Blackwelder, b. November 20, 1833, Cabarrus co., NC, d. April 05, 1922, Iredell Co., NC.
- +David Monroe Blackwelder, b. Abt. 1835, d. WFT Est. 1880-1927.
- Catherine Elizabeth Blackwelder, b. April 17, 1837, Cabarrus co., NC, d. Bef. 1850.
- +Alfred Mumphert Blackwelder, b. February 11, 1838, Cabarrus co., NC, d. December 25, 1862, Mecklenburg, Co., NC.
- Simeon Blackwelder, b. 1840, possibly Meck. Co., d. Bet. 1860 - 1870, Prob. Meck. Co., NC.