Abundant Ancestors:Information about Peter Greenlee
Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals | |Sources
Peter Greenlee (b. Abt. 1745, d. Bef. 03 Sep 1802)Peter Greenlee (son of William Greenlee) was born Abt. 1745 in Passapatanzy, Stafford, Virginia, USA1856, 1857, and died Bef. 03 Sep 1802 in Anderson, South Carolina, USA1858.He married Deborah Willis on Abt. 1769 in Stafford, Virginia, USA or Wilkes, North Carolina, USA?.
Notes for Peter Greenlee:
According to history books, the Greenlees were Anglo-Saxons and first appear in English history during the reign of King Alfred c. 871 A.D.Greenlee history claims "...two Knights of an ancient family through Anglo Saxon, gallantry in the Norfolk campaign against Denmark, were gifted by King Alfred to a demesne called Balsal Chase, now called Balsal Heath, in the County of Warwick.Paraphrased from source: Navarro leaves and Branches, Volume XVIII, Issue 11.
In 1773, Peter was in Fauquier County, Virginia. He served as an overseer at "North Wales", an estate of William Allason. In 1775, he paid personal property taxes in Fauquier County, Virginia from 1782 to 1786. Taxes were paid by him on nine slaves in 1786.He purchased land in 1775 but his name did not appear on the 1782 land tax roll.
According to descendant, Nancy Bible, "Peter Greenlees and his descendants adopted the spelling Greenlee and the descendants of two of his sons, LEWIS WILLIS GREENLEE and JOHN GREENLEE are traced in The Greenlee Genealogy; but the authors erroneously credited John Greenlee as the son of Michael Greenlee of Delaware." (Greenlee, Ralph Stebbins & Greenlee, R. L., Genealogy of the Greenlee Families in American, Scotland, Ireland and England, Chicago, Illinois., Privately printed, 1908, p. 37, 567 et seq.)
Note: Stafford County is now King George County, Virginia.
More About Peter Greenlee:
Occupation: Bet. 1768 - 1972, Fredericksburg [area], Virginia, USA.1859
Probate: 03 Sep 1802, South Carolina, USA.1860
Residence 1: 1773, Fauquier, Virginia, USA.1861
Residence 2: 1790, Pendleton, South Carolina, USA.1862
Will: 28 Jun 1798, Pendleton District, South Carolina, USA.1863
More About Peter Greenlee and Deborah Willis:
Marriage: Abt. 1769, Stafford, Virginia, USA or Wilkes, North Carolina, USA?.
Children of Peter Greenlee and Deborah Willis are:
- Nancy Caroline Greenlee, b. Abt. 1771, Wilkes, North Carolina, USA1864, d. Dec 1843, Anderson, South Carolina, USA1864.
- +Elizabeth Greenlee, b. 05 Dec 17721865, d. Abt. Oct 1812, Pendleton, South Carolina, USA1866.
- +Lewis Willis Greenlee, b. Abt. 1775, Georgia, USA1867, 1868, d. 07 Sep 1846, Lowndes, Mississippi, USA1869, 1870.
- Margaret Greenlee, b. Abt. 1777, Anderson, South Carolina, USA1871, d. Aft. 1808, Anderson, South Carolina, USA1872.
- William Greenlee, b. Abt. 17781872, d. Aft. 08 Jun 17981873.
- James Greenlee, b. Abt. 17811874, d. Aft. 08 Jun 17981875.
- +Mary Ann Greenlee, b. 1782, South Carolina, USA [Possibly Pendleton ]1876, d. 03 Aug 1840, Vaiden, Carroll, Mississippi, USA1877.
- Shadrack Greenlee, b. Abt. 17831878, d. Aft. 08 Jun 17981879.