| || Notes for Major William Boarman:|
William Boarman was born in England in 1630.Exactly when he entered the province is not known, however, he seems to have been merely a lad in his young teens.The first Maryland record concerning him, when he was 15 years old, shows him living with Jesuit priests.
During Claiborne and Ingle's Rebellion, in 1645, Kent Island was first captured and then the whole Province of Maryland.A temporary government was set up, and Governor Leonard Calvertand other settlers, including most of the Catholics, whose land had been seized, took refuge in Virginia.
While in Virginia, Governor Leonard Calvert raised an army.One of William Boarman's future father-in-laws, Lieutenant Colonel John Jarboe, was a leader of the troops which assisted Governor Leonard Clavert in restoring Maryland to his authority.Peace was restored to Maryland and prevailed until about 1689.
When Father Andrew White first arrived in the Province of Maryland in1634, one of his first interests was to proselytize and baptize the native Indians.Once can suppose if young William Boarman was liviing with the Jesuits, he accomanied later Jesuits on their visits to convert the Indians.In his adult life William Boarman knew the Indian dialects, and until his death was an interpreter for Indian affairs for the Provincial government.
William Boarman was intimately associated with the Clavert family.It is within the realm of possibility that he or his first wife, Sarah, in some manner was related to the Lord Proprietary.His 3,000 acre tract in St. Mary's County was given the significant name of "Brother's Gift" granted in 1674 during the reign of Cecilius, and only the Lord Proprietor had the power to give or grant land.
Upon Charles Calvert's, later 3rd Baron, initial coming to Maryland in 1661 he was a guest in the manor house of William Boarman until he found suitable quarters.At that time his half-uncle, Philip Calvert, was in Maryland residence.In Calvert's retinue was an Irish servant wench, Nell Butler, who became attracted to one of Major Boarman's black African slaves and insisted upon marrying him much against the entreaties of Clavert and Boarman who finally gave their consent.About 100 years later her issue who had remained slaves in the Boarman family sued for their freedom which resulted in an interesting court case and legal decision.
William Boarman was appointed as one of the Justices of the Peace for St. Mary's County on 7/27/1666.As a new justice he first took an oath of fidelity to the Right Honorable Cecilius Lord Proprietary and then the Oath of a Justice of the Peace.
From 1660, when William Boarman was commissioned a Captain, and until 5/8/1700, he traded with, and laid out land for the Indians, as directed by the Provincial Council.
William Boarman spoke a number of Indian dialects, and he was an Indian interpreter on many occasions.He handled dealings with the Indians, not only in St. Mary's and Charles' Counties, bu also in Calvert and Anne Arundel Counties as well.On one occasion his close business relations with the Indians led to an accusation that he was exciting the Indians to massacre the protestants.Upon investigation it was found the rumor was started by Wawoostaugh, who the Indian Emporer insisted was "an idle and run away person" adn that the story should not have been believed.With no supporting evidence William Boarman was cleared of such charges.From time to time William Boarman received payment form the Provinicial Council for his valuable services with the Indian tribes.
William Boarman was able to keep the Indian tribes peaceful and no massacres occurred while he was interpreter.Likewise he was employed to keep the English from annoying the Indians.
William Boarman was a justice of the peace, a delegate to the assembly on several occasions, a coroner, an officer ofthe Provincial militia, and a magistrate of the local courts in St. Mary's County.For Charles County he served as a delegate to the lower house of the assembly from 1671 to 1675.On March 10th, 1678 Major William Boarman was made sheriff of St. Mary's County and Leonard Green took the oath of sub sheriff.By 1675 he was commissed a Major in the Provincial Militia, and was the main interpreter and negotiator with the Indian tribes in all matters pertaining to the Province.William Boarman was a remarkable man, as well as an extraordinary leader, to be able to hold several important posts simultaneously.
When Major William Boarman took up residence at "Boarman Manor" he had a chapel near or connected to his residence.This chapel he mentions in his will.This chapel was the forerunner of St. Mary's Parish, Bryantown, Maryland.
As the records show, the Catholic Church into which Major William Boarman was "born and bred" had a top priority in his life, and that of his family.Like himself, his three wives came from staunch Catholic families.Their strong faith and religious practices were passed on to their children, who like their parents were leaders in the Catholic Church.Those same Catholic values have been passed down and are possessed by Boarman descendants today.
When he died, Major William Boarman's home plantation was "Boarman's Rest," known as "Boarman's Manor" which consisted of 3,333 acres of land.This house stood until 1913 when it was torn down.Major William Boarman's descendants have continuously lived on this site, and on the vast acreage he possessed.
It can be assumed that Major William Boarman was buried near his residence on "Boarman's Manor."It was custom of all the old English settlers to have their burial ground quite near to, and within sight of the family residence.
This old Boarman home was a typical 17th century two-story brick with a deep sloping roof and dormer windows, a one-story wing on the side, and a seperate kitchen in the rear, attached to the house by an open porch.
The area near the residence of Major William Boarman was eventually called Bryantown, Maryland.From the colonial times until the building of the railroads, Bryantown was a center of importance and the main stop between St. Mary's City and Port Tobacco.Bryan's Inn, probably the reason for the town's name, offered travelers an evening's rest and good food.A Boarman department store was located ere as early as 1778, a part of a thriving village.This store was run by Edward Boarman.
Bryantown is still found at the crossroads of Route 5 and Route 232.Today only a fre stores, houses, and near-by St. Mary's Church comprise this once flourising little village.
Source: MAJOR WILLIAM BOARMAN (1630-1709), HIS DESCENDANTS, (ISBN: 0-939142-11-2) written by Mary Louise Donnelly.