David W. Peters of Sparta, WI:Information about Samuel James Youmans
Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals | |Sources
Samuel James Youmans (b. May 28, 1832, d. June 05, 1909)
Samuel James Youmans (son of William Youmans and Ann Alger)3212 was born May 28, 1832 in Oneida Co., New York3213, and died June 05, 1909 in Sparta, Wisconsin3214.He married Cynthia Nichols on August 06, 1857 in Leon, Monroe Co., Wisconsin3215, daughter of Daniel L. Nichols and Eunice O. Merrifield.
Notes for Samuel James Youmans:
The 1860 Census says that Samuel was born in Ohio.That probably is wrong.The Monroe County Heritage Book states that Cynthia and Samuel were born in New York and then spent several years in Ohio before moving on to Wisconsin.
The 1860 Census states that a J.H. Youmans, age 21 was in the household.He is too old to be a child of Samuel so perhaps he is a brother of Samuel's.The 1860 Census spells the name "Yoemams".
The family moved to Unity, Clark County, WI about 1870.Samuel and Cynthia moved back to Monroe County after 1905.
The Monroe County Heritage Book states that Samuel was in the Civil War on two occasions."He enlisted the first time with Company A, 3rd Regiment of the Wisconsin Cavalry, mustering in on Nov. 30, 1861 at Camp Treadway, Janesville, Wisconsin.During this time he was a nurse at the hospital in St. Louis, Missouri and later reported sick at Fort Scott, Kansas and also at Kansas City, Missouri.He was given a disability discharge on October 18, 1862.However he re-enlisted as a veteran volunteer in Company C, 36th Wisconsin Infantry on February 27, 1864.He was in the battles of North Anna and Tolopotomy, Virginia (May 22-June 1, 1864).He was wounded near Petersberg, Virginia and hospitalized.(The story is that he was wounded in the right foot and this can be seen if one looks closely at the photo.)"
More About Samuel James Youmans:
Burial: June 08, 1909, Farmers Valley Cemetery, Sparta, Wisconsin.3216
Census 1: 1860, Farmer, 28 y/o, living in Leon, Monroe, WI.
Census 2: 1900, 68 y/o, living with spouse in the Town of Sparta, Monroe, WI.
Military service: Civil War.3217
More About Samuel James Youmans and Cynthia Nichols:
Marriage: August 06, 1857, Leon, Monroe Co., Wisconsin.3218
Marriage Notes for Samuel James Youmans and Cynthia Nichols:
Witnessed by Eunice Nichols, mother and George Nichols, brother.
Children of Samuel James Youmans and Cynthia Nichols are:
- William D. Youmans, b. June 27, 1858, Sparta, Monroe, WI3219, d. date unknown.
- Mary Avrilla Youmans, b. April 15, 1860, Sparta, Monroe, WI3219, d. date unknown.
- +Charles Alfred Youmans, b. March 03, 1861, Sparta, Monroe, WI3219, d. date unknown.
- Margaret May Youmans, b. November 23, 1864, Wisconsin3219, d. date unknown.
- Edward S. Youmans, b. September 1866, Wisconsin3219, d. November 04, 1866, Wisconsin3219.
- Emery Harrison Youmans, b. July 28, 1870, Wells, Monroe Co., Wisconsin3220, d. October 09, 1932, Little Falls, Monroe Co., WI3221.
- +Hosea Milton Youmans, b. September 09, 1871, Unity, Clark, Wisconsin3222, d. date unknown.