The Richard C. Davies' of Armstrong, Illinois:Information about Littleberry WELLS
Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals | |Sources
Littleberry WELLS (b. 03 Apr 1762, d. Bef. Feb 1848)Littleberry WELLS (son of Michael Henry WELLS and Sarah DICKERSON)678, 679, 680 was born 03 Apr 1762 in Dinwiddie County, Virginia681, 682, and died Bef. Feb 1848 in Henry County, Kentucky.He married (1) Polly GOODE on 29 Dec 1785 in Chesterfield County, Virginia683, 684, 685.He married (2) Frances MOODY on 10 Apr 1794 in Pittsylvania County, Virginia686.
Notes for Littleberry WELLS:
"Littleberry (or Littlebury) Wells was born 3 Apr 1762, in Dinwiddie Co., Va.. He entered the Revolutionary War in Sept., 1778 at Chesterfield Co., VA. to serve as a private in the Virginia Militia. This group joined the army at Petersburg, VA.
to serve under the command of Capt. Thomas Goude, Lt. Ezekiel Dance, Col. Robert Goude, Gen Morgan and Adjutant Pride. From Petersburg, they marched to Chesterfield Courthouse, then to Full Creek Church, crossed the James River and went to
Richmond, then recrossed the river and went to Manchester. Littelberry was discharged there verbally by Col. Goude in Nov., 1778 after serving two months, the term of each of his enlistments. These enlistments were as follows:
-Mar. 1779 at Dinwiddie Court House as a substitute for his father, Michael Wells. Discharged, verbally in May 1779 by Capt. Hill.
-Sept 1779, as a private in the Virginia Militia, under command of Capt. Dance, Lt. Wm. Cheatam, Col. Haskins and Major Boyd.
-From Feb. 1780 to Apr 1780 he again acted as a substitue for his father, serving under Capt. Dance, Lt. Cheatham, and Col. Haskins.
-From Oct 1780 to Dec 1780, at Petersburg, he served under Capt. Dance, Lt. Mathew Cheatam, Col. Robertson, and Gen. Morgan.
-Again, in April 1781, he entered service as a substitute for his father, to serve under the command of Capt. Henry Archer, Lt. Richard Hill, and Col. Goude.
-Once more, he joined the army at Petersburg in Aug. 1781 to serve under Capt. Thomas Goude and Col. Haskins. They marched to Williamsburg, then to York. They were at the siege and surrender of Lord Cornwallis at that place in October under the
command of Gen. Washington, Gen. Lafayette and Gen. Lincoln. They then marched to Hanover Courthouse where Littleberry became sick and was honorably discharged in writing 1 Nov 1781.
In 1796, he came to Kentucky. He settled in Henry County, KY. and his pension was issued on 9 Aug 1833.
His will, recorded in Henry County, Ky. Will Book 9, p. 1, and probated during the February, 1848 term, shows his name as Little Berry Wells, and mentions his children: Coleman, Thomas, Elizabeth Rowelett, Polly Woodsides, Nancy Fuqua, William,
Dickerson, John, Martha Taylor and Little Berry M. Wells."
More About Littleberry WELLS:
Died 2: Feb 1848, Henry County, KY.687
More About Littleberry WELLS and Polly GOODE:
Marriage: 29 Dec 1785, Chesterfield County, Virginia.688, 689, 690
More About Littleberry WELLS and Frances MOODY:
Marriage: 10 Apr 1794, Pittsylvania County, Virginia.691
Children of Littleberry WELLS and Polly GOODE are:
- +Coleman Berry WELLS, b. 1793, Chesterfield County, Virginia691, d. 1870, Daviess County, Kentucky.
Children of Littleberry WELLS and Frances MOODY are:
- Isaac WELLS, b. 1794, Pittsylvania County, Virginia691, d. Bef. 19 Jul 1822.
- Elizabeth Dickerson WELLS, b. Abt. 1795691, d. date unknown.
- Polly WELLS, b. Abt. 1804, Henry County, Kentucky691, d. Aft. 16 May 1827.
- Nancy WELLS, b. 1804, Henry County, Kentucky691, d. Aft. 1850, Daviess County, Kentucky.
- William Blanks WELLS, b. 1805, Henry County, Kentucky691, d. 1884.
- Michael Dickerson WELLS, b. 11 Sep 1811, Henry County, Kentucky691, d. 12 Mar 1873, Whitesville, Daviess County, Kentucky.
- John P. WELLS, b. 1817, Shelby County, Kentucky691, d. Jan 1852, Daviess County, Kentucky.
- Littleberry Moody WELLS, b. Abt. 1820, Henry County, Kentucky691, d. date unknown.
- Patsey R. WELLS, b. Bef. 19 Jul 1822691, d. Aft. 16 May 1827.
- Thomas T. WELLS, b. 1825, Henry County, Kentucky691, d. Bef. 1870.
- Martha WELLS, b. Aft. 16 May 1827691, d. date unknown.
- Isham Blanks WELLS, b. Abt. 1833691, d. date unknown.