Paul Reeves Home Page:Information about Wylie Reeves
Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals | |Sources
Wylie Reeves (b. 27 Apr 1769, d. Bef. 1850)Wylie Reeves (son of William Reeves, Sr. and Elizabeth Lawson) was born 27 Apr 1769 in Granville County, NC1180, and died Bef. 1850 in Fayette County, GA.He married Rebecca Thomasson on 24 Nov 1788 in Granville County, NC1181, daughter of Thomas Thomasson and Ann.
Notes for Wylie Reeves:
Wylie was born in NC and came to York County, SC around 1790.
Wiley and his wife moved to Fayette County from Jasper County, Ga. before 1827, along with severalgrown sons and their families. The sons known to have accompanied him were Allen,Alfred M., and William, all of whom married in Jasper County.
Marriage bond in Granville County, NC, shows Wiley Reeves and Rebecca Thomson married Nov. 1788, North Carolina 5265-24, Abner Reeves, bondsman. Names spelled in book "Granville County Marriages 1753-1868" as "Willy Reeves and Rebeka Thomson."
Wylie cannot be found in Georgia in the 1820 census
1830 Census - Fayette County:
One male 10 to 15 (Unknown - Wiley had no known children this young)
One male 15 to 20 (Unknown - Wiley had no known children this young)
One male 60 to 70 (Wilie (Wiley) - Head of Household - age 61)
One female 50 to 60 (Rebecca, who would have been 60)
Total 4 in household
Land became available from the Indian Springs treaty in 1821, but it is not known if this is how Wylie acquired his land.
Wilie owned Land Lot 109, Section 4, Fayette County. Note: LL 109 appears to straddle the Flint River, thus Wilie may have also paid taxes in Spalding County.
Fayette County, Ga. tax digest for 1827 shows "Wiley Reves" owning Lot # 109, 4th district.
On 8/5/1826, Wilie signed a promissory note deeding Land Lot 109 to William Reeves, along with one horse, 5 head of cattle, 10 head of hogs, 3 feather beds and furniture, one chest, one trunk, two spinning wheels, 7 chairs, one slab(sic), and one side saddle, in return for a loan of $1000. If loan repaid, ownership would revert back to Wiley or his heirs. Deed recorded 8/31/1826. Source: Drawer 93, Box 43, Ga. Archives, Fayette County, General Index to Deeds and Mortgages, Direct and Indirect Indexes 1821-1900.
An old cemetery is located on LL 109 in Spalding County, but has no tombstones with the name Reeves on them. Only 5 graves are marked, but there are about 20 more unmarked graves. The land on which the cemetery is located is currently owned by a Mr. Leon Spoone, who has owned it at least since 1981, when the last inspection was performed. Three descendants visited the cemetery on April 3, 2006 and did some clearing and a thorough search for fallen tombstones using probe rods, but none were found. While this cemetery could be the burial place of Wiley, William and other Reeves ancestors, it cannot be proven with the information found to date.
HISTORY OF LL 109 AFTERDEED TO SECURE DEBT TO WILLIAM REEVES:
According to the early tax records of Fayette Co.
1827 Allen Reeves paid tax on LL109
1829 Alfred M Reeves paid tax on LL109
1831 Alfred M Reeves paid tax on LL109 and 110
So Alfred M. Reeves acquired LL109 between 1827 and 1829 and LL110 between 1829 and 1831 without either deed being recorded in the Fayette Co deed book.
More About Wylie Reeves and Rebecca Thomasson:
Marriage: 24 Nov 1788, Granville County, NC.1181
Children of Wylie Reeves and Rebecca Thomasson are:
- +Wyatt S. Reeves, b. 31 Oct 1789, Granville County, NC1182, d. 25 May 1826, Fayette County,GA1182.
- Edmy Reeves, b. 28 Nov 17911183, d. date unknown.
- +William Reeves, b. 07 Jul 1794, York County, SC1183, d. 04 Dec 1850, Fayette County, GA1184.
- +John T. Reeves, b. 08 Dec 1796, SC1185, d. 1876, Carroll County, GA1186.
- +Ethalinda Reeves, b. 11 Jul 17991187, d. date unknown.
- +Allen Reeves, b. 22 Jun 1801, York County, SC1187, d. 1862, Fayette County,GA.
- +Alfred M. Reeves, b. 19 Dec 1803, York, SC1187, d. Oct 1878, Spalding County, GA1188.
- Elizabeth T. Reeves, b. 10 Feb 18051189, d. date unknown.
- +Mariah A. Reeves, b. 13 Nov 1805, York County, SC, d. 1842, GA.
- Polly A. Reeves, b. 13 Nov 18051189, d. date unknown.
- Tabitha Reeves, b. 1808, York County, SC, d. date unknown, GA.
- +Permelia T. Reeves, b. 29 Jun 1810, SC1189, d. 19 Jun 1878, Fayette County,GA.
- +Wiley Dabney Reeves, b. 13 Jun 1814, York County, SC1189, d. 1874, Vaughn, Spalding County, GA.