My Genealogy Home Page:Information about Johannes George Reis
Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals | |Sources
Johannes George Reis (b. May 06, 1753)Johannes George Reis (son of Johanness Jacobes Reis and Anna Barbara Schwartz) was born May 06, 1753 in Wollmesheim, Germany, died in Landau, Russia.He married Anna Catharina Deibel on November 04, 1776 in Wollmesheim, daughter of Franzicus Michael Deibel and Maria Eva Rang.
Notes for Johannes George Reis:
George Reis, son of Johannes Jacobus Reis, (1724) was born in Wollmesheim Pfalz, Germany, near Landau. In 1793, during the French Revolution George and his family moved to Kaffertal, now a suburb of Mannheim, Germany.In 1809after living in Kaffertal for sixteen years, George, his wife, and his four youngest children, Konrad, Michael,Marie Katharina & Maria Eva moved from Kaffertal, to Landau, Russia in the Ukraine. His three oldest children, J, David, J.George and Balthasar remained in Kaffertal.
In 1852 J. George, son of J. David, emigrated to Albury, Australia where they became prosperous business people. (Google- Reis Family History Australia)J. David's other children, Johann, Maria Praxades, Kasper and Susanna remained in Germany.
In1878when land became scarce in Landau, Russia, Peter Reis, my great grandfather,and my grandfather,Rafael ,movedabout 600 miles east to Blagodarnoje near Stavropol.This is in the North Caucuses between the Black and Caspian Seas.( In Russia they were teamsters and operated a Government Mail Route)When the Russians began breaking their promises, the German colonists left Russia for Canada, the US, and South America.
In December of 1912 my grandfather, Rafael, (son of Peter son of Konrad) and his family arrived at Ellis Island via the USS George Washington. from the Port of Bremen, Germany.From New York they traveled to North Dakota and settled in Wells County along with many other German immigrants from Russia. They were wheat farmers until their retirement . In 1941 my father left North Dakota and settled in Tacoma, Wa.
I've recently been contacted by Heinz Reis, son of Balthsar, about our family history. I hope to gain information about the relatives who remained in Germany.
Michael, son of George who traveled to Russia has been difficult to research, I think his descendants settled in Canada and later in the U.S.
I contacted some of the descendants, but they haven't responded to my correspondence.
One researcher listed a Katherina Reis who was married to a Michael Geiger as a family member. She was born in 1840 but we can't confirm she was a family mamber.
More About Johannes George Reis:
Emigration: 1793, Moved to Kafertal(Mannheim).
More About Johannes George Reis and Anna Catharina Deibel:
Marriage: November 04, 1776, Wollmesheim.
Children of Johannes George Reis and Anna Catharina Deibel are:
- Joh. Bernhardinus Reis, b. August 11, 1777, Wollmesheim, Landau/Pfalz, d. August 11, 1777, Beetle Valley, Germany.
- +Johannes George Reis, b. December 11, 1779, Wollmesheim,Landau/Pfalz Germany.
- +Joh.David Reis, b. 1782, Wollmesheim, Landau/Pfalz, d. March 04, 1843, Oggersheim.
- Maria Katherina Reis, b. May 23, 1784, Wollmesheim, Landau/Pfalz.
- +Balthazar Reis, b. October 28, 1786, Wollmesheim,Landau/Pfalz Germany, d. December 16, 1855, Kafertal.
- +Maria Eva Reis, b. November 04, 1789, Wollmeshein,Landau/Pfalz.
- Marai Anna Reis, b. August 26, 1792, Wol,llmesheim,Landau/Pfalz, d. 1792, Wol,llmesheim,Landau/Pfalz.
- +Konrad Reis, b. Abt. 1794, Wollmeshein, Germany, d. Abt. 1857, Ukraine, Russia.
- Michael Reis, b. February 15, 1801, Kafertal, Germany.