The Roach's of Johnston County Oklahoma:Information about Clara Hadassah Swain
Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals | |Sources
Clara Hadassah Swain (b. 16 Apr 1880, d. 15 Feb 1927)
|Picture taken about 1904|
Clara Hadassah Swain (daughter of Spencer Coleman Swain and Susan Caroline Miller) was born 16 Apr 1880 in Alvord, Texas, and died 15 Feb 1927 in Payne Place Southwest of Bromide, Ok.She married David Merrit Muncrief on 25 Dec 1898 in Viola Springs, Indian Territory (Oklahoma), son of Rev. William Taylor Muncrief and Mary Sue Durham.
Notes for Clara Hadassah Swain:
Sick headaches - Every three weeks Clara would get what they called the sick headache and they would not go away until she got sick to her stomach and threw-up.She would tie a diaper around her head real tight which would help relieve the pain.
In memory of Sister Clara Muncrief
Clara Swain was born April 16, 1880.Departed this life February 15,
1927.She was married to David M. Muncrief Dec. 25, 1898. To this union
was born 11 children nine are still living.She was converted and joined
the missionary Baptist Church at the age of 16 years.She held membership with the Plain View Missionary Baptist Church at the time of her death.She was always faithful companion and faithful and loving mother and also faithful and true to her church never missing a meeting if it could be avoided.Death came very sudden.She was only sick about five hours.She was laid to rest February. 16, 1927 in Wells Valley Cemetery in the presence of host of relatives and friends.Services was conducted by Eld W.L. Whittemore who is filling the pulpit of her pastor Eld W.H. Mayo in his illness resolve by the Plain View Baptist Church that we tender to the be rived family of our beloved sister our sincere condolences and heart felt sympathy and while we how in humble submission to the Devine mandate.We are admonished to be ready to answer the summons of the monster death.Sorrow not dear friends as those that have no hope.Although she can not come to us but we can go to her and may we realize our loss is her gain.Resolve that we tender the bereaved family a copy of these resolution also have a copy spread on our church book.Also send a copy to the Baptist and Commoner for publication.She leaves to morn her loss besides her husband and children.Her mother, one sister, and three brothers, and many other relatives.
J.E. Allison(Friend of Charlie Collin's step dad)
M.L. Muncrief(Clara's brother-in-law)
Sudie Muncrief(Clara's brother-in-law's wife)
Alice Lesley(Married Clara's husband later)
Yettie Swain(Clara's brothers wife "Will Swain")
Note: Clara's mother name at time of her death was Susan Tripp.Susan Tripp's first husband was S. Coleman Swain.
More About Clara Hadassah Swain:
Burial: 16 Feb 1927, Buried - Wells Valley Cemetery - Bromide, Ok.
Fact 1: 25 Dec 1898, Married.
Fact 2: member Missionary Baptist Church.
Fact 3: Housewife.
Fact 4: Her middle name Hadassah is in Bible - Esther..
Fact 5: Tombstone is 11 7/8 inches wide and 32 inches tall.
More About Clara Hadassah Swain and David Merrit Muncrief:
Marriage: 25 Dec 1898, Viola Springs, Indian Territory (Oklahoma).
Children of Clara Hadassah Swain and David Merrit Muncrief are:
- William Spencer Muncrief, b. 18 Jul 1901, Nickel Hill, Oklahoma, d. 03 Sep 1902, Buried Wells Valley Cemetery.
- +Pearl Gertrude Muncrief, b. 28 May 1903, Nickel Hill, Oklahoma, d. 30 Dec 1986, Buried Wells Valley Cemetery.
- +Lydia Mae Muncrief, b. 02 Oct 1905, Nickel Hill, Oklahoma, d. 05 Jun 1995, Buried Wells Valley Cemetery - Bromide, OK.
- William Bryan Muncrief, b. 17 Dec 1907, Nickel Hill, Oklahoma, d. 01 Feb 1977, Buried Wells Valley Cemetery.
- +Ernest Marion Muncrief, b. 17 Apr 1910, Nickel Hill, Oklahoma, d. 08 Jun 1955, Las Cruces, New Mexico.
- Alice Muncrief, b. 29 Jul 1912, Nickel Hill, d. 19 Sep 1914, Buried Wells Valley Cemetery.
- +Edna Evelyn Muncrief, b. 14 Oct 1914, Nickel Hill, Oklahoma (Born @ home), d. 01 Jun 2007, Valley View Hospital, Ada, Oklahoma.
- +David Archie Muncrief, b. 20 Apr 1917, Nickel Hill, Oklahoma, d. 04 Apr 1959, Buried Wells Valley Cemetery.
- +Charlie Manson Muncrief, b. 30 Nov 1919, Nickel Hill, Oklahoma, d. 27 Oct 1975, Buried Wells Valley Cemetery.
- +Nettie Caroline Muncrief.
- Gladys Marie Muncrief, b. 07 Oct 1924, The Payne Place, d. 21 Feb 1935, Buried Wells Valley Cemetery.