Rogers History and Family Tree:Information about William Thomas Rogers
Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals | |Sources
William Thomas Rogers (b. Bet. 1751 - 1761, d. Abt. 1815)William Thomas Rogers (son of Thomas Rogers and Elizabeth)72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77 was born Bet. 1751 - 1761 in New Hanover, North Carolina, and died Abt. 1815 in New Hanover, North Carolina.He married Lucretia Treadwell on Abt. 1783 in Duplin County, North Carolina.
Notes for William Thomas Rogers:
William Thomas Rogers was born about 1751-1761 in Duplin county, North Carolina.His parents were Thomas (1716-1782) and Elizabeth (d. Bef. 1782).His father came from Rhode Island with his parents, Peleg Rogers (1695-1768) and Isabel Brand (d. 1754).He died about 1815 in New Hanover county, North Carolina.He, as well as his cousin, also names Thomas, son of Job Rogers, served in the Revolutionary Army from North Carolina.He married Lucretia Treadwell (1767-1844), daughter of Major John Treadwell, Revolutionary Soldier, and Sarah Herring of Sampson County, North Carolina.They were married about 1783 in Duplin, now Sampson County, North Carolina.
By 1816 Lucretia Rogers was in Bullock County, Georgia with some of her children.She was listed as a widow in 1819 in the sale of land along the Black creek in New Hanover County, North Carolina.The 1820 census shows Lucretia and her children in the household of Benjamin Devane.In 1825, Francis Devane, Benjamin's brother, acted as attorney for Lucretia Rogers and children James Rogers, Ann Rogers and Benjamin Devane in the sale of 585 acres of land in New Hanover County, North Carolina.The Rogers family came to then Lowndes County, now Brooks County, in 1828, moving with the Devane family.
Lucretia Rogers is buried in the Rogers Cemetery about six miles north of Quitman, Georgia (Dist. 12, Lot 382) in an unmarked grave where other Rogers and Devanes are buried.The Rogers Cemetery exists where stated and is being maintained by a Devane.Stanley D. Rogers, Sr. visited the cemetery in June 1997.There were five tombstones or markers as follows:
Rogers, Moses B.Son Of J.G. & A.M. Rogers
(Woodman of the World Memorial)
11/14/1860John F. Devane
John T. Devane Martha Hicks
William B. Devane
The Rogers Cemetery is located off Hwy 76N, turn right on Jackson Road after 2nd dirt road to right.Cemetery is on left approximately 1/4 mile off road on to of hill in middle of field.
The Rogers children intermarried with several of Brooks County's pioneer families including Devane, Folsom and Hicks.
More About William Thomas Rogers and Lucretia Treadwell:
Marriage: Abt. 1783, Duplin County, North Carolina.
Children of William Thomas Rogers and Lucretia Treadwell are:
- Elizabeth Rogers, b. 20 May 1784, d. date unknown.
- Samuel Rogers, b. 31 Jan 1786, d. 1816.
- +James Rogers, b. 16 Feb 1793, New Hanover, North Carolina, d. Abt. 1847, Brooks County, Georgia.
- Mary Jane Rogers, b. 28 Jul 1795, New Hanover, North Carolina, d. Abt. 1847, Brooks County, Georgia.
- Thomas Rogers, b. 09 Sep 1796, d. Bef. 1815.
- Ann Rogers, b. 30 Oct 1799, d. 1861.
- John B Rogers, b. 01 Jan 1802, d. date unknown.
- Miriam Rogers, b. 20 Sep 1803, d. date unknown.
- +Uriah Rogers, b. 01 May 1807, New Hanover, North Carolina, d. 1874, Brooks County, Georgia.
- +William Haywood Rogers, b. 02 May 1810, New Hanover, North Carolina78, d. 02 Jan 1889, Lowndes County, Georgia.