My Never Ending Quest for Family Ties:Information about John HOWE
Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals | |Sources
John HOWE (b. 1695, d. 1757)John HOWE (son of Isaac HOWE and Deborah HOWE) was born 1695 in Roxbury, Suffolk, MA, and died 1757 in Grafton, MA992.He married Mary WOOD.
Notes for John HOWE:
HOWE(*) The surname of Howe is found at
an early period in several counties
in England as appears in the records
of about the time of Henry IV. to that of
Elizabeth, as Howe, How, Hough, Howes,
Hoo. and similar spelling, and in or about the
reign of Edward Ill. the designations were
variously de le How, de How, at How, de le
Hoo, de Hoo, etc.
John Howe, born about 1420, was the father
of William Howe, of North Weald Basset.
Essex, died 1518. Of this William was born
Page 841Series 1, New England Families Genealogical and Memorial
Previous Page | Next Page | Book Beginning | Search Book
GenealogyLibrary.com Main Page
(*)Facts and dates compiled from various sources
by Alfred Leighton Howe, November, 1911.
William Howe, of Hatfield Broad Oak, died
1558, father of John Howe, of Much Hallingbury
Hall and Hatfield, How's Green, died
1601; and he was father of Robert Howe, of
Hatfield, Broad Oaks, etc., living in 1601, of
whose descendants more will be said later.
William Howe, of North Weald Basset, mentioned
above, was the father also of Henry or
Harry Howe, ancestor of the Lord Howe
branch of the family. One of the eminent men
in the history of England bearing the name of
Howe was the Rev. John Howe, Oliver Cromwell's
chaplain, one of the most noted ministers
of his time, and author of several well-known
books. Three Howes, brothers, were prominent
not only in English history, but in that of
America. One of them, General George Augustus
Howe, killed at Ticonderoga, had a
monument erected to his memory in Westminster
Abbey, for which the general court of
Massachusetts made an appropriation. General
William Howe commanded the British
forces at Bunker Hill and held Philadelphia
while Washington was at Valley Forge. And
Admiral Richard Howe ("Black Dick") was
in command of the British naval forces during
the revolution, and was one of the most famous
of the English sea fighters. His victory over
the French fleet in 1794 on "The Glorious
Fourth of June" is one of the cherished traditions
of the Royal Navy of the British nation.
Among the early Puritan settlers in Massachusetts
were four by the name of Howe, and
it is from them that the great majority of
those now bearing this name in America are
descended. These four were James of Roxbury
and Ipswich, Abraham of Roxbury, John
of Sudbury and Marlborough, Abraham of
Watertown and Marlborough, and Edward of
Lynn. All of them were Puritans and were in
Massachusetts soon after the arrival of Governor
John Winthrop in 1629. James and
Abraham, of Roxborough and Ipswich, were
probably brothers, and John of Sudbury was
of near kinship to them.
From John, of Sudbury and Marlborough,
was descended that line of Howes whose name
was closely associated with the Red Horse
Tavern, which Longfellow made famous as
The Wayside Inn. Several generations of
Howes were successive proprietors of this wellknown
hostelry. In the prelude to the "Tales
of the Wayside Inn" is described the
"coat of arms well framed and glazed,
Upon the wall in colors blazed,"
and the legend upon it states that the wolves'
heads appearing thereon are the family arms.
These three wolves' heads are to be found as
charges upon the escutcheon of nearly all the
Howes mentioned in "Burke's General Armory."
The armorial bearings of John Howe in
heraldic parlance are described as follows:
Argent, a chevron between three wolves' heads
couped sable. Crest: Out of a ducal coronet
or; a unicorn's head gules, attired and crined
of the first. Motto: Utcunque placuerit deo.
James Howe was born in England about
1606. He was the son of Robert Howe, of
Broad Oak Hatfield, county Essex, England.
He settled in Roxbury, Massachusetts, about
1637, where he was admitted freeman, and married Elizabeth, daughter of John Dane.
He was a commoner 1641; one of Major Dennison's
subscribers 1648. With the designation
of James Sen'r. he had a share in Plum
Island 1644, tithingman 1677, and in 1679 was
a voter in town affairs. He settled before
1648 in Ipswich, Massachusetts, where his wife
died January 21, 1693. He died May 17, 1702.
His children were James, born about 1634 (the
unfortunate Elizabeth who was executed at
Salem, Massachusetts, July 10, 1692, for alleged
witchcraft is said to have been wife of this
James); Mary, married Nehemiah Abbett;
John; Sarah, married John Bridges, of Andover,
Massachusetts; Abraham, born about
1649; Rebecca, married Stephen Barnard.
Abraham, son of James Howe, was born
about 1649. He married, March 26, 1678, Sarah
Peabody, daughter of Lieutenant Francis Peabody,
who came from St. Albans, Hertfordshire,
England, to New England in the ship
"Planter," Nicholas Tearice, master, in 1636.
Abraham settled in Ipswich, Massachusetts.
"A seat in the meeting house was assigned to
Corporal Abraham How in 1700." He died
January 21, 1717. His widow died September
20, 1732. His children were Love, born January
13, 1679, married Samuel Porter; Increase,
born April 12, 1680, married (first) Mary
Whipple, (second) Susanna Kinsman; Sampson,
born March 1, 1683; Abraham, born June
27, 1686, married Hepsibeth Andrews; Abijah,
born about 1689, married Hannah Dow; Israel,
born January 24, 1692-93, married Mercy Warner;
Mark, born March 28, 1695, married
(first) Hepsibeth Perkins, (second) Margaret
Perley, (third) Elizabeth Bradstreet. He died
February 17, 1777.
Sampson, son of Abraham, known as Captain
Sampson, was born in Ipswich, Massachusetts,
March 1, 1683, and settled in Killingly,
Connecticut, about 1708. He married,
1700, Alice, daughter of John Perley, of Boxford,
Massachusetts, who was the first male
child born in Ipswich. Family traditions represents
Sampson to have been a man of giant
proportions, six feet seven inches in height and
broad in proportion, but he was not noted for
his stature only. He was a representative in
the general assembly at Hartford in 1720, and
was a prominent citizen and landowner. He
was one of the original patentees of Killingly.
On July 16, 1711, the town agreed to give
Mr. John Fiske three hundred and fifty acres
of land for his encouragement to settle in the
work of the ministry, and Sampson Howe was
appointed one of the committee to lay out this
land. On July 9, 1728, the inhabitants of
North Killingly met together to organize a
religious society, "they voted and chose Sampson
Howe Clerk for said Society." They set
about the work of erecting a meeting house,
and Sampson Howe was one of a number
"chosen to take care to provide for raising, and
under their supervision the work was faithfully
accomplished and the frame raised before
the setting in of winter." In 1730 he was
chosen captain of a military company organized
by the inhabitants of Thompson parish. The
meeting house being completed, to him was appointed
"the delicate task of assigning the
seventeen pew spots * * * to the persons they
most properly belong unto." To Sampson
Howe was entrusted the work of gathering the
land tax, and in 1734 he acted as one of the
agents of the town in a dispute over the boundary
line between Thompson and Killingly, the
More About John HOWE:
Residence: Hopkinton, Middlesex, MA and Grafton, MA.993
Children of John HOWE and Mary WOOD are:
- +Deborah HOW, b. 18 Dec 1731, Wilmington, MA994, d. 7 Feb 1816, Framingham, Middlesex, MA995.