My Genealogy Home Page:Information about William Douglas
Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals | |Sources
William Douglas (b. August 09, 1610, d. July 26, 1682)William Douglas (son of Robert Douglas and Jean Ross)44 was born August 09, 1610 in Ringstead, Northamptonshire, England, and died July 26, 1682 in New London, New London, CT,.He married Ann Mattle on 1636 in New London, New London, Connecticut45.
Notes for William Douglas:
Looking for the Ancestry of William Douglas
New London, CT
updated theories on Aug. 16, 2004
What we know from LDS records
Research within the LDS files indicates (most without source) that William (1610-1682) was the son of Robert (1588-?) who was the son of Alexander Douglas (1562-?), Provost of Elgin. Further, Alexander was the son of William (1532-1591) "9th Earl of Angus". Although there is little doubt that William of CT was related to the Clan Douglas of Scotland, the ancestry in LDS is incorrect. William, "9th Earl of Angus", did not have a son named Alexander.
Various searches on William DOUGLAS b.1610 result in the following:
a.) William Douglas "9th Earl of Angus" (as G-grandfather m. Giles "Egidia" Graham)
b.) Alexander Douglas "Provost of Elgin" (as grandfather m. Agnes or Agnes Leslie)
c.) Robert Douglas (as father m. Jean or Jean Ross/Rose)
d.) William Douglas (as father m. Agnes Leslie)
e.) Anne (as wife nee. Mattle, Mottle or Motley)
f.) Elizabeth (as sister m. John Innes)
First: Assuming that there must be some type of relation between William of CT and the other names found in LDS, I have 3 theories about his ancestry. William's father was probably named Robert b.1585-1588. If we look at the other names associated to Robert, we find close ties to the Earls of Angus as well as Earls of Morton.
Second: I have not found any source that clearly states "fact" supporting my theories. I base it on the evidence of family names as well as written source of several authors listed here. I assume there is some fact in the LDS names but not necessarily in their relationships or parentage to Robert (1588-) or son William (1610-). I have reviewed the Douglas families of Angus, Moray, Morton & Main, looking for similarities and I see 3 possible links with either Angus or Morton.
DOUGLAS, William (1610-82), came with his wife and two children to Gloucester, Mass., 1640;
He was made freeman at Boston, 1640;
He and his wife settled at New London, Conn., 1659,
William Douglas was Connecticut representative Gen. Court.;
m: Ann (d 1685), dau. of Thomas Mattle.
Source: "The Abridged Compendium of American Genealogy", Vol. II, 1926(1968)
3. i Ann Douglas b. 1637, Scotland, m. Nathaniel Geary, d. ??.Ann died ??.
+ 4. ii Robert Douglas b. --1639.
5. iii Elizabeth Douglas b. 26-Aug-1641, Ipswich, Massachusetts, m. Dec. John Chandler, d. ??.Elizabeth died ??.
6. iv Sarah Douglas b. 08-Apr-1643, Ipswich, Massachusetts, m. John Keeney, d. ??.Sarah died ??.
+ 7. v William Douglas b. 01-Apr-1645.
4. Robert Douglas b. --1639, Scotland, m. 28-Sep-1665, Mary Hempstead, b. 26-Mar-1647, New London, Connecticutt, (daughter of Robert Hempstead and Joanna Wyllie) d. 26-Dec-1711, New London, Connecticutt.Robert died 15-Jan-1715(6), New London, Connecticutt.Mary: from:"Charles Henry James Book": "Mary, daughter of Robert Hempstead, of New London.She was the first child of English parents born in the town."
8. i William Douglas b. 11-Nov-1666, m. b 1701, in New London, Connecticutt, Hannah ??, d. ??.William died ??.
9. ii Mary Douglas b. 13-Jun-1668, m. George Chappell, d. ??.Mary died ??.
10. iii Ann Douglas b. 25-Dec-1669, m. Jacob Waterhouse, d. ??.Ann died 15-Mar-1714(5).
11. iv John Douglas b. 17-Jul-1671, d. in infancy.
12. v Hannah Douglas b. 14-May-1673, m. Stephen Hurlbut, d. ??.Hannah died ??.
13. vi Sarah Douglas b. 02-Dec-1674, m. Samuel Comstock, d. ??.Sarah died 01-Apr-1704.
14. vii Elizabeth Douglas b. 26-Apr-1677, m. Henry Rowland, d. ??.Elizabeth died ??.
+ 15. viii Thomas Douglas b. 15-May-1679.
16. ix Phebe Douglas b. 20-Jan-1681, m. John Baker, d. ??.Phebe died ??.
17. x Susannah Douglas b. abt. 1683, m. Edward DeWolf, d. ??.Susannah died ??.
18. xi Ruth Douglas b. abt. 1685, m. Isaac Woodworth, d. ??.Ruth died ??.
7. William Douglas b. 01-Apr-1645, Boston, Suffolk, Massachusetts, m. (1) 18-Dec-1667, in New London, Connecticutt, Abiah Hough, b. --1648, England, d. --1715, m. (2) Mrs. Mary Bushnell, d. ??.William died --1724/25.
Children by Abiah Hough:
19. i Capt. Richard Douglas b. --1682, d. --1734/35.
15. Thomas Douglas b. 15-May-1679, New London, Connecticutt, m. 25-Nov-1703, in New London, Connecticutt, Hannah Sperry, b. New Haven, Connecticutt, d. 1758. Thomas died 03-Mar-1724(5), New London, Connecticutt.
20. i John Douglas b. 07-Sep-1704, New London, Connecticutt, d. young.
21. ii Robert Douglas b. 28-Dec-1705, m. Sarah Edgecome, d. ??.Robert died ??.
22. iii Thomas Douglas b. 18-Feb-1707, New London, Connecticutt, d. 25-Feb-1724(5).
23. iv James Douglas b. 05-Apr-1710, New London, Connecticutt, m. Sarah Gee, d. ??.James died ??.
24. v Daniel Douglas b. 18-Sep-1713, m. Lois Caulkins, d. ??.Daniel died ??.
25. vi Mary Douglas b. 13-Feb-1715(6), New London, Connecticutt, m. Daniel Sexton, d. ??.Mary died ??.
26. vii Stephen Douglas b. 18-May-1719, New London, Connecticutt, m. Patience Atwell, d. ??.Stephen died ??.
27. viii Nathan Douglas b. 15-Apr-1721, New London, Connecticutt, m. Anne Dennis, d. ??.Nathan died ??.
+ 28. ix John Douglas b. 08-Apr-1727.
More About William Douglas:
Burial: July 27, 1682, Old First Burial Ground.
More About William Douglas and Ann Mattle:
Marriage: 1636, New London, New London, Connecticut.45
Children of William Douglas and Ann Mattle are:
- Deacon William Douglas, b. April 01, 1645, Boston, MA, USA46, d. March 09, 1724/25, New London, CT, USA46.
- Robert Douglas, b. 1639, New London, New London, CT, USA46, d. January 15, 1715/16, New London, H, CT, USA46.
- Sarah Douglas, b. April 08, 1643, Ipswich, Essex, MA, USA46, d. August 04, 1689, New London, New London, CT, USA46.
- Anne Douglas, b. 1637, New London, New London, CT, USA46, d. September 16, 1691, Roxbury, Suffolk, MA, USA46.