Mary Shiffer's Family Home Page:Information about Simon Burkhardt
Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals | |Sources
Simon Burkhardt (b. January 12, 1814, d. April 17, 1895)Simon Burkhardt465 was born January 12, 1814 in Bruckweiler, Germany466, and died April 17, 1895 in Buffalo, New York467.He married Margaret Schickler on June 20, 1839 in Buffalo, New York, St. Louis Catholic Church468, daughter of Johann Schickler and Agatha Eberlin.
Notes for Simon Burkhardt:
Baptism record Simon Burkhardt Bruckweiler, Bavaria Germany
Hodie decima octava Januarii anni millesimi octigentesimi decimi quarti.Circa horam duodecimam meridianam natus, et eadem dia a me infra seripto baptizatas est Simonfilius legitimus Simonis Burkhard et Catharinea Zfwick conjugem et civium in Bruckweiler Commorantrum patrinus fuis adolescens Simon Burkhard filius Wendelini Burkhard civii hujatis matrina vero Catharina Burckhard filia Soluta Joannes Theobaldi Burckhard civis hujatio ejui ves meaum Signarunt.
Death of Simon BurkhardtObituary clipping
Simon Burkhardt, the subject of this sketch who died yesterday, was one of the first settlers of Black Rock.So closely had Mr. Burkhardt been identified with the growth of that section, that almost every enterprise can be traced to his support.In his death the residents of Black Rock mourn the loss of a zealous and enterprising worker, who always had their best interests at heart.
The deceased was born in Bruckweiler, Germany, February 18, 1815.He came to this country in 1830 with his parents.Among his first employers was Gen. Porter.Mr Burkhardt learned the trade of blacksmith and in 1838 wedded Margaret Shickler at the old Stl Louis Church,Rev Father Pax officiating.In 1840 he took up residence in lower Black Rock.
Mr. Burkhardt was one of the founders of the old St. Louis Church, and later became associated with others in the establishment of St. Francis Xavier Church of which he was a constant member up to the time of his death.As one of the oldest and one of the best known residents of Black Rock, he was on of the most largely consulted men of this section.Every public enterprise had his support and after retirement from active business in 1863, he still continued to take a lively interest in all that pertained to the welfare of his beloved city.He left him surviving his wideow, four sons, and five daughters, Louisa, wife of Bernard Brosterhouse of Winona, Minnesota.Emma wife of Anthony Doll, Mary, wife of William Depford, Barbara, wife of Jacob D. Ginther, Mathilda, wife of Edward Gies, and Edward C Burkhardt, all of this city, and John C. Burkhardt of Leadville, Col.
The funeral will be held at 9 o'clock on Saturday morning from the home, No. 54 Amherst Street and at 9:30 o'clock from St. Francis Xavier Church.
More About Simon Burkhardt:
Address (Facts Page): 1890, 54 Amhurst, Buffalo, NY.469
Baptism: January 18, 1814, Bruckweiler, Bavaria, Germany.470
Census: 1840, Living in Ward 12, Buffalo, Erie Co. NY.471
Fact 1: Death certificate reads: 80 yrs, 2mo, 0 days..
Fact 2: Lived 76 years in the USA in Buffalo NY.
Godparents: January 18, 1814, Simon Burkhardt, son of Wendel Burkhardt and Catherine Burkhardt daugher of Johann Theobald Burkhardt..472
Occupation: 1860, Blacksmith.473
Property: 1860, Value of real estate $2000.474
More About Simon Burkhardt and Margaret Schickler:
Death of one spouse: April 17, 1895, Buffalo, New York.
Marriage: June 20, 1839, Buffalo, New York, St. Louis Catholic Church.475
Marriage Fact: June 20, 1889, Celebrated 50th anniversary..
Children of Simon Burkhardt and Margaret Schickler are:
- +Louisa Burkhardt, b. April 01, 1840, Buffalo, New York476, d. January 02, 1934, Minneapolis, Minnesota477, 478.
- +John C. Burkhardt, b. February 25, 1841, Buffalo, New York479, d. 1932, Leadville, Colorado480.
- +George Burkhardt, b. March 11, 1842, Buffalo, New York481, d. April 11, 1908, Buffalo, New York482.
- +Emma C. Burkhardt, b. September 15, 1845, Buffalo, New York483, d. January 10, 1932, Buffalo, New York483.
- +Mary Catherine Burkhardt, b. September 07, 1847, Buffalo, New York484, d. September 10, 1924, Buffalo, New York485.
- +Barbara Burkhardt, b. 1849, Buffalo, New York486, d. 1899, Buffalo, New York487.
- Michael Charles Burkhardt, b. October 19, 1851, Buffalo, New York488, d. 1855, Buffalo, New York489.
- +Joseph John Burkhardt, b. July 22, 1855, Buffalo, New York489, d. June 06, 1894, Buffalo, New York490.
- +Mathilda Frances Burkhardt, b. October 10, 1857, Buffalo, New York491, d. April 16, 1939, Buffalo, New York492.
- +Charles Simon Burkhardt, b. October 12, 1860, Buffalo, New York493, d. February 26, 1946, Buffalo, New York494.
- +Edward Carlton Burkhardt, b. June 20, 1863, Buffalo, New York495, 496, d. September 03, 1927, Buffalo, New York497.