Munson Family of Louisiana:Information about Alcide Veeder
Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals | |Sources
Alcide Veeder (b. July 08, 1851, d. March 10, 1908)Alcide Veeder (son of John Veeder and Marie Feliciane Mora) was born July 08, 1851 in Charenton, LA, and died March 10, 1908 in Charenton, LA.He married Anna Minderman on June 06, 1870 in Charenton, La, daughter of Leandre (Leon) Minderman and Marie Elena Sinitriere.
Notes for Alcide Veeder:
One story told about my Great-grandfather Alcide Veeder is in 1900 he went to New Orleans after grinding season to pay off his debts.He brought back a piano and thereafter he would have Aunt Mayme play and the girls would sing.His favorite was "La Paloma". The girls begged him to buy a Victrola but he said he didn't like "Canned Music".
More About Alcide Veeder:
Burial: Charenton, LA.
More About Alcide Veeder and Anna Minderman:
Marriage: June 06, 1870, Charenton, La.
Marriage Notes for Alcide Veeder and Anna Minderman:
Anna and Alcide's first home had a dirt floor in the kitchen.When their finances improved they built a spacious home in the town of Charenton.Later, when hes two older sons, John and George, were old enough, he formed the company of A. Veeder and Sons and operated a General Merchandise Store.The building was situated on the main steeet of Charenton.Alcide and Anna's home was built directly behind the store and faced the road leading to Bayou Teche.They also purchased a plantation and named it "Anna".Another plantation was purchased and it was called "Amanda".These consisted of about 300 acres.The company was later changed to A.Veeder and Co. Inc.The principal products on the plantations were sugar cane and rice.
One of the stories told about Anna and Alcide was she was awakened one night by a noise outside so she woke up Alcide.He sat on the side of the bed and started putting on his bow tie.She shook him saying "You don't have to be so dresssed up to go to see about a burglar".
Children of Alcide Veeder and Anna Minderman are:
- +Winnifred Ann Veeder, b. February 27, 1879, Charenton, LA, d. February 16, 1979, Charenton, LA.
- John Willard Veeder, b. March 16, 1872.
- Marie Ida Veeder, b. March 29, 1875.
- Jacques Vivian Veeder, b. November 20, 1877.
- George Thomas Veeder, b. May 07, 1881.
- Philomine Ella Veeder, b. August 06, 1883.
- Marie Nellie Veeder, b. March 12, 1886.
- Annette Aimee Veeder, b. June 25, 1887.
- Marie Elena Veeder, b. December 21, 1889.
- Anna Veronique Veeder, b. January 16, 1893.
- Joseph Earl Veeder, b. October 20, 1894.