The Westlake Family of Mercer County, Pennsylvania:Information about Samuel Westlake
Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals | |Sources
Samuel Westlake (b. Abt. 1721, d. 1796)Samuel Westlake (son of Samuel Westlake and Ann)1007, 1008 was born Abt. 1721 in Cornwall, England1009, and died 1796 in VA1010.He married Sarah Welling on Abt. 1742 in Settled in Trenton, NJ1011, 1012.
Notes for Samuel Westlake:
If research attributed to Pearson, Schlabach and others proves true, Samuel was a young boy of five years of age when his father died in 1726 and his mother, Ann, later that year, married John Burroughs.
Billie R. Miller's Genforum posting states "SAMUEL WESTLAKE II:Wayne Vandal Masterson, a Westlake genealogist, who credits another researcher named Ralph Pearson for the following, lists Samuel Westlake II as born in Cornwall, England, ca. 1721. His wife was Sarah Welling who was born in Philadelphia, Oneida County, New York. Samuel and Sarah settled in Trenton, New Jersey, and he reportedly owned property connected with the "Iron Works" [Schlabach].What that establishment was is not known, but Samuel worked as a blacksmith [Pearson, The Westlake Family].Samuel and Sarah had nine children. Several of the sons were said to have fought with Washington at the battle of Germantown. Some sources say Samuel, the father, was on the side of the British during the Revolution [Schlabach].A descendant, Mary Gilruth, stated that Samuel lived with his son Thomas in Greenbrier County, Virginia (now West Virginia), until he died at a great age [possibly in the year 1796], and was buried at the Gilboa Meeting House graveyard at Big Levels there [Pearson].Samuel and Sarah (Welling) Westlake had the following children [Pearson]":
1. Samuel Westlake, born 1745
2. John Westlake, born 1747, died 1795
3. Burroughs Westlake, born 1749 (Mercer County, PA)
4. George Westlake
5. Thomas Westlake, born 1755, died 1827
6. Joseph/Josiah Westlake, born 1758
7. William Westlake, born 1761
8. Sarah Westlake, born 1763
9. Nancy Westlake, born 1764, died 1766.
A handwritten family group record prepared by Wayne Vandal Masterson of Bull Shoals, AR copied by this author at the Mercer County Historical Society shows Samuel Westlake, born 1721 in Cornwall, England and died 1796; married to Sarah Welling of Philadelphia, Oneida Co., NY; parents of nine children birth and death dates as listed in the preceding paragraph.
Another researcher, Ann Guenther, wrote that "Samuel settled in New Jersey and became the owner of a pretty large property, connected in some way with ironworks.During the Revolutionary War, he lost it all."
Samuel became the father of Burroughs Westlake ca 1753.Burroughs may have been named for his father's stepfather, John Burroughs.Hunterdon County Query Index and Surname Registry shows an inquiry from a Burroughs researcher, Susan Riddle, who indicates that "John Burroughs was a Sheriff of Hunterdon Co., NJ circa 1720, when his daughter, Hannah, m. Benjamin Abbott".
Samuel died 1796 in VA, at 75 years of age.
More About Samuel Westlake and Sarah Welling:
Marriage: Abt. 1742, Settled in Trenton, NJ.1013, 1014
Children of Samuel Westlake and Sarah Welling are:
- Samuel Westlake, b. Abt. 1745, d. date unknown.
- +George Westlake, b. 1747, Devonshire, England, d. May 22, 1831, Marysville, Union Co., OH.
- John Westlake, b. 1747, NJ1015, d. 17951015.
- +Burroughs Westlake, b. Abt. 1753, most likely NJ1016, d. Bef. 1820, most likely Mercer County, PA1017.
- +Thomas Westlake, b. January 01, 1755, Elizabeth or Trenton, Salem County, NJ1018, d. December 05, 1827, Green Twp., Gallia Co., OH1018.
- Josiah Westlake, b. January 16, 1760, Orange Co., NY1019, d. date unknown.
- William Westlake, b. Abt. 1761, d. date unknown.
- Sarah Westlake, b. Abt. 1763, d. date unknown.
- Nancy Westlake, b. Abt. 1764, d. 1766.