EARLY HISTORY OF THE STOUTS
The name Stout was first used in Germany, according to WesleyStout of Ohio, writing for the Saturday Evening Post. At the time when theCathar hordes invaded the country, one man overcame in battle twenty of thebarbarians single- handed. His fellowssaid he was Stout, and the name stuck.
Sir Robert Stout, who went from the Shetland Islands to make hishome in New Zealand, became a distinguished scholar and rose to the position ofChief Justice there. In a letter to Mr.Claude D. Stout of Wisconsin, genealogist, Sir Robert states that Stout is aScandinavian name. "Danish Norsemen invaded England," he said,"drove the Celtic inhabitants back into Wales and Scotland, then minglingwith the peoples, they settled down and became permanent residents in thenortherly counties of England. The racial make-up of York, Lincoln, Nottingham,and northern North-hampton shires was Scandinavian. Fair Isle has a population entirely of Stouts. The Stout family in Shetland claims descentfrom Olaf Stout whose name is mentioned in the Orkneyinga Saga, an epic-likestory of the tribal heroes of their early history. The Stout family in Norway is the royal family. Olaf Stout was the Earl of Orkney andShetland. Our family line goes back to1220 A.D. when one Stout, a leader of the Danes against the Irish waskilled. Some of the family went toAmerica.”
In 1600 in Nottinghamshire, England, an entry was made in theBurton Joyce Parish record book telling of the marriage of one John Stout, ofgood family, to Elizabeth Gee. To thisunion was born Richard Stout in 1602 or 1604. When Richard grew up he quarreled with his father over a girl friendwhom the father considered beneath him in social standing. Consequently,Richard ran away from home and joined the English Navy. After seven years, whenhis time was out, Richard got a discharge from the Navy, and left his ship atNew Amsterdam about 1640. He took up arms for the Dutch, and so was unharmed bythe British when they took over New Amsterdam about 1664.
Richard found friends among some English settlers who because oftheir religion had fled to New Amsterdam from neighboring colonies. Among them were Lady Deborah Moody, her son,Sir Henry Moody, Richard Salter, William Browne, and Thomas Applegate. Together they obtained a charter from theDutch governor to found the first English settlement on Long Island at GravesEnd. Thirty-eight others joinedRichard where he settled in 1644 on Plantation No. 18, which he had purchasedfive years earlier. Richard became thelargest landowner of the group. He mayhave married when he settled there, if so his first wife was dead when PenelopePrince, a widow, appeared on the scene.
When religious persecution made life intolerable for dissenters inEngland at this period, they fled to Holland and later to America. It seems likely a Baptist Preacher, Rev.Prince, was driven out of Sheffield and lived for a time in Amsterdam, Holland,when Penelope was born. Years laterPenelope married a boy from Amsterdam, and together they took a ship forAmerica. This ship was wrecked in 1640at the northeast corner of New Jersey, on a point called Sandy Hook. The passengers that could fled overland tothe settlement called New Amsterdam, but Penelope's husband, ill of a fever,was not able to go. Penelope busiedherself making him comfortable on the shore when they were attacked by Indianswho killed her husband and left Penelope seriously wounded. In fact, the Indians thought her dead.
But Penelope did not die. Gradually she aroused from her swoon. Suffering from a fractured skull,a hacked shoulder and a gash on her body, which allowed her intestines toprotrude, she crept to shelter in a hollow log or tree nearby. No doubt she found water from a spring, andfood from the bushes, for she suffered alone there for several days until twoIndians came by on a hunt. When theysaw her, they seemed to argue over what to do with her. The younger wanted to kill Penelope, but theolder objected, and finally won the argument, for he came, put her across hisshoulder and carried her away to the Indian village. He sewed her wounds with fishbone needle and thread of vegetablefiber. He treated her kindly, and sherecovered. She helped the squaws withtheir work and otherwise adapted herself to Indian life for perhaps a year.
Gradually the rumor reached New Amsterdam that a white woman hadbeen seen in the Indian village. Whensome of the white men came, and offered to buy her, the old Indian called toPenelope and made their desire known, and then asked what she wished todo. When she replied that she wishedto go with the men, her captor agreed but accepted the pay they offered forher. Penelope lived in New Amsterdamamong some of the English families until Richard Stout chose her for wife in1644. A historian of the period saysthat when they settled at Graves End on Long Island, Richard was forty years ofage, Penelope in her twenty-second year.
About the time the English took over the rule of the town, perhapsto escape the English, perhaps seeking more land, Richard and a few other menbegan exploring the main land of the New Jersey coast, near the place where theIndian had saved Penelope's life. About 1648, Richard with eleven others purchased a large section of eastNew Jersey, called Monmouth, from Governor Nichols. Richard bought lot number six and some upland country, in all 745acres. Thirty years later he had accumulatedso much land that he was able to deed eighteen hundred acres to his heirs. Considered the largest landed proprietor,Richard served as overseer of the district of Middletown.
One day, the story goes, not long after they founded Middletown,the old Indian who had saved Penelope, appeared at their home. When he refused to eat with her family,Penelope followed him out of the house to learn what was wrong. He had come to warn Penelope that the tribeswere coming to attack the settlement. He urged her to take her family and flee to safety in his canoe. When she told Richard the news, he refusedto believe it. Penelope then gatheredthe children to the boat and paddled away as best she could to seek aid at NewAmsterdam. After Penelope left, Richardreconsidered and gathered the men of the settlement together to make plans. They armed themselves, sent the women andchildren in canoes to wait off shore while they prepared to watch allnight. At midnight the Indians came. When the whites from a point of vantageattacked, the Indians armed with only bows and arrows were soon on therun. Then Richard Stout walked intothe open and demanded a parley. Aftera conference, the whites and Indians held a two-day ceremonial to celebrate atreaty of peace. When the whites agreedto buy the lands on which they had built their town, an alliance for mutualassistance was formed. This treaty wasfaithfully kept. Though othersettlements had war, this one was able to avoid it. The date of the purchase of the land from the Indians was January25, 1664. Governor Nichols gave thesettlers a statement called the Monmouth Patent, which guaranteed themreligious and political freedom. Therewere supposed to be fifty families of whites and 500 Indians inhabiting thearea at this time.
As the settlement in New Jersey grew into the town of Middletown,Richard Stout was appointed to assist in laying out the lots. In 1668, Richard, Penelope, and their familymet with others in the kitchen of the Stout home to organize the first BaptistChurch of New Jersey. Richard and John,his oldest son, were among the eighteen male charter members. Every Sunday thegroup met at the homes of its members to sing hymns. Twenty years later a logchurch was built. Today a new churchstands on the spot, but some of the materials of the old log church are carefullypreserved, after two hundred years, in this modern building.
Richard's will, approved October 1705, is on file in the Office ofthe Secretary of State at Trenton. Init he gave his home farm to his youngest son, Benjamin. Though Richard formerly was required toreport to the agents of the proprietors in writing, he signed his will with anx, doubtless due to his age or the state of his health
Penelope out lived Richard by 27 years, dying in 1732, at the ageof 90 or 110. She had been the mother often children, seven sons and three daughters. By the time of her death, she had welcomed some five hundred and twodescendants into the world. It was toldof her that she had always to wear a cap because of her scalp scar, and thatshe had no use of her left arm. Herknowledge of the Indian language, and the fact that she was a friend of theIndian who mended her wounds, no doubt were a great help to the little NewJersey settlement.
A number of people through the years have written stories of thisearly family. Samuel Smith, in his"History of New Jersey", published in 1765, wrote less than thirtyyears after Penelope's death. MorganEdwards published his "History of the Baptists of New Jersey" in1792, in which he gives the same story of this family, taken from othersources. Mrs. Seabrook, a descendant,in her story added details, which had come down, through her family. She said she remembered the familydiscussing Penelope's scars. Stillwell, who married a descendant of the family, wrote after some timehad elapsed. Captain Nathan Stoutpublished his story in 1825. Thedetails differ in the various versions, but the main part of the story isalways the same. Dr. Stillwell says ofthe various versions, "That thetradition concerning Penelope Stout's experiences with the Indians is true, isto my mind as certain as that man exists." Frank Stockton includesPenelope's story in his "Stories of New Jersey."
Concerning Richard and Penelope, Mr. Claude D. Stout of Wisconsinwrote: "I have concluded thatRichard Stout was of the Puritan Baptist Separatists, who went to NewAmsterdam. That Penelope Prince wasthe daughter of the Rev. Mr. Prince who was banished from his church atSheffield, England, and lived for a time in Holland where Penelope probably wasborn. I think also that Penelope was aBaptist Puritan emigrant direct to New Amsterdam."
Dr. Thomas Hale Strats after investigation suggested that alldates of the Richard and Penelope story seem to be twenty years too early. "The shipwreck should be dated 1640,Richard and Penelope's marriage 1644." he said.
The three daughters of Richard and Penelope were married early tomen of the same or neighboring communities. Mary, the oldest daughter, married Judge James Bowne of Portland Point. It was their great granddaughter. HannahSalter, who married Mordecia Lincoln, the great grandfather of Abraham,President of the United States. Thehusband of Alice Stout, the second daughter of Richard, was JohnThrockmorton. Dr. John E. Stillwell, who wrote an early history ofthe Stouts, was a grandson of Alice. The third daughter of Richard, Sarah, became the wife of John Pike. It was of their line that Zebulon Pike,1779-1813, American general and explorer was descended. He found in 1806 Pike's Peak, and thenpushed on to California. Tradition saysthat when General Pike went west to Colorado he had two or three Stout boyswith him.
Five of Richard's seven sons, namely John, Richard, James, peter,and Ben settled at Middletown or in Monmouth County. Two sons, Jonathon and David removed to adjoining districts tothe south of Middletown. The last twowere the ancestors of all Stout families who settled in Western Virginia so faras is known.
David Stout, who married Rebecca Ashton of Freehold, settled firston Hop River but moved in 1725 to Amwell Township. He died at the age of thirty-seven of pleurisy. Descendants of two of David's sons wereamong Western Virginia's early residents. Of the seven children, one son, James Stout, with his wife CatherineSimpson, resided on a homestead of 700 acres in the same township as theirfather. James, too, died young, at theage of thirty-three years, leaving seven children, one of which was also named James.
This second James, with his wife Jemimah Howell Reeder, also dweltin Amwell township. One son of theirsix children whose name was Caleb, came in 1783 to what is now Harrison County,West Virginia. Another son, Abel,settled with the Wyckoff Family in the Louden-Culpepper County of Virginia. Reuben Stout and wife willed Abel's son,Jacob, his farm nearby. A son, Isaiah,located near Monticello on a 1200-acre estate. Abel died eight years later andwas buried at White Oak Springs, Augusta County, Virginia.
David's son, Joseph had a single child, Mary, by his first wife,Mary Ashland. His second wife, MarthaReeder, of New Brunswick, New Jersey, was the mother of eight children. When Joseph settled at Hopewell, he lived onland bequeathed him by his father, David. After Joseph's death, five of his sons left New Jersey to settle fartherwest. Abner, Job, and Joseph came toWestern Virginia. About 1800 Abnermoved to Washington County, Pennsylvania, where his brother Ben had settledbefore him. Another brother, Jacob, settled in Kentucky.
There were then only four of David's descendants who remained asearly residents in what is now Harrison County, West Virginia. They were Caleb, son of James, and Abner,Job, and Joseph, sons of Joseph, brother of James.
Another son of Richard and Penelope, Jonathon, in 1685 took forhis wife Anna Bollen. She was probablythe daughter of Captain James Bollen, Secretary of the New Jersey Province,traditionally a close relative of Anne Boleyn, wife of Henry VIII, King ofEngland, and mother of Queen Elizabeth I. Jonathon and Anna lived on a farm at Hopewell, south of Amwelltownship. Together with Nathan Drake,John Hart, and the Bowne Family, Jonathan helped establish the Baptist Churchof Hopewell. For forty-one years themeetings were held at the home of Jonathon or at that of one of his children,before a meetinghouse was built in the early 1700's. John Hart, signer of the Declaration of Independence, donated theland for the church and was later buried in the graveyard adjoining. Nine ofthe fifteen original members of this church organization were Stouts or Stoutdescendants. Jonathan served as aCaptain of the Militia and as a President of the County Court. At his death he left a personal estate of$2500.
Nine children survived Jonathan. The oldest, Colonel Joseph, who lived on land deeded to him by hisfather at Middletown, took as his wife Ruth Brinson. The story goes that when Colonel Joseph offered the Baptistcongregation at Middletown a lot on which to build their church, the offer wasrefused. Joseph was so wrought up thathe said he would build on the lot a house larger than a church. The result was a nine room, two story housewith basement which was used during the Revolutionary War as Gen. Washington'sheadquarters, and in which he held a famous council of war. The house was later called Hunt Housebecause a brother-in-law of Col. Joseph's brother, named John Price Hunt, livedthere at the time. Hunt House is now a memorial. St. Ledger Codd Stout, a grandson of Col. Joseph, came about 1790to settle near the present town of Beverly, West Virginia.
Another son of Jonathon, Benjamin, married Hannah Bonham, adescendant of Edward Fuller who came to America on the Mayflower as thetwenty-first signer of the Mayflower Compact. She was also a descendant of Captain Francis Drake, a relative ofSir Francis.
Five sons of Ben and Hannah were among the early settlers ofpresent Harrison County, West Virginia. They were Jonathan, Hezekiah, Benjamin, Ezekiel, and Hosea.
The Stout family, which descended from Richard, first in America,and his wife Penelope, had been living in the northern part of New Jersey formore than a hundred years before the outbreak of the Revolutionary War. Onlyexplorers or hunters and traders had yet entered the dense forests of WesternVirginia.
THE WILDERNESS ATTRACTS
Before the time of the Revolutionary War, six nations of Indiansheld control in that part of the country known today as West Virginia. Along the principal rivers of the state, theIndians had rude shelters or wigwams at the place where they engaged inhunting. They kept their settlementsnorth of the mountains or to the west in Ohio. Frequently, other tribes from beyond the Ohio River challenged theirright.
By 1716, Governor Spottswood's men sent out of eastern Virginia toexplore, had reached the summit of the Allegheny Mountains, the presentPendleton County of West Virginia. Soon afterwards, settlements were made along the Potomac River. Settlers feared to cross the mountains, bothbecause of French claims on the district, and because of the danger of Indianattacks. The seizing of Fort Duquesneand the treaty of Fort Stanwix, which gave the white man the title to WesternVirginia lands, really provided an entrance for pioneers from the East.
The Indians had regular routes for travel well beaten down bytheir feet over a period of many years, which could easily be followed by oneof their number. These paths served asguide to the white hunters, trappers and traders who were the first to enterthe mountainous district.
The settlements in West Augusta District were usually made bythree or more men coming in the spring over the most traveled trails onhorseback or afoot. When they found aplace to their liking, they made a tomahawk claim, which consisted in blazing amark on their boundary to show their right of possession. Often they stayed long enough to build rudeshelters and trap for furs before they returned home. In 1779, the Homestead Law required a settler to live a year onhis claim and raise a crop of corn, thus establishing his claim to 400acres. Clearing land, planting a patchof corn, and building a cabin, would require a full summer 5 work. It might be late in the fall before hecould store his crop and return to bring his family to his new home. In the earliest days, men waited sometimesfor years before moving a family to a new location.
Building a home on the new land was not a light task. After a pioneer found a suitable place neara spring, other settlers would help him raise his dwelling. This consisted of felling the trees,notching the logs, and chinking them with clay, riving the clapboards, andplacing them for a roof. Next, theybuilt a chimney of stone, mud, and sticks. The final tasks consisted of laying a puncheon floor and cutting doorsand windows. The rule of help for help back would keep a settler occupied for atime since he must pay other settlers in kind.
When the buildings in a settlement were complete and the familysafely sheltered, there were frequent corn huskings and a man could claim akiss from his sweetheart if he found a red ear of corn. Many kinds of "bees", as aquilting, a bean stringing, a logrolling, etc., furnished some social life fora settlement. A wedding was no doubt amatter of the greatest moment. If nominister lived nearby, all weddings would be performed when a traveling parsonpassed through. Sometimes one man inthe community was granted the authority to "say the words." After a marriage ceremony, which wasperformed at the bride's home, followed by a dinner, which all the neighborsattended, the entire group escorted the pair to the home of the groom. Some uninvited guest of the group started upa form of merry making by slipping ahead to stack logs or tree limbs to blockthe path of the bride and groom. Thecouple often rode or walked along to the accompaniment of a calithumpian band,which performed by beating a stick on any form of metal to make a noise. A big supper was ready when the pair arrivedat the home of the groom. There mustalso be a treat for the merrymakers. Ifa fiddle were present the time following the evening meal was spent in dancing.
The original name of the "Westerly" part of Virginia towhich the early Stout settlers came was Spottsylvania. After 1734, the western part ofSpottsylvania was called Orange County. In November 1738, Orange County was divided into two sections: the northeastern part being termed theCounty of Frederick, and the remainder called the County of Augusta. Thatportion of Augusta lying west of the mountains became officially known, after1775, as the District of West Augusta. In October 1776, the Assembly of the New Commonwealth of Virginiadivided the West Augusta District into three counties: The Ohio, the Monongaliaand Youghiogheny. In 1784, Monongalia was divided into two parts, the northerncalled Monongalia, the southern receiving the name of Harrison County. Later on, the district known as HarrisonCounty was divided into sixteen entire of parts of counties. Randolph County was formed in 1787, LewisCounty in 1816, Gilmer and Doddridge in 1845, and Upshur in 1851.
THE FIRST STOUT SETTLERS IN WESTERNVIRGINIA
The first descendant of the Stout family of New Jersey to appearin the West Augusta District was Ben Stout, son of Ben, grandson of Jonathan,and great grandson of Richard and Penelope. He blazed his name on a claim in the Simpson Creek area in 1754. Coming to this section as a hunter andtrapper, he may have trapped for a number of seasons before he finally returnedin 1772 to West Augusta to settle, laying claim to 400 acres on Simpson Creek
There is a tradition to many families of the Stouts that therewere three brothers who came from New Jersey as settlers. Investigation shows that the threebrothers were most likely Joseph, Abner, and Job.
Since New Jersey was overrun so badly during the Revolutionarystruggle by the British and American armies passing through its boundaries asthey moved north or south, the Stout families who lived in the line of theirmarch mush have suffered great losses in food, forage, in animals, and even inreal estate. For a large number of theStout men stood on the side of the Colonists against England, although somewere sympathizers with the English and consequently lost their land through itsbeing sequestered. Some had even fledthe country to escape taking part in the conflict, returning after the warended. No doubt the condition of theirNew Jersey homesteads, as well as the reports brought back from the region westof the Alleghenies by Ben, Jonathan, and perhaps Hezekiah, must have promptedthe various Stout men to bring their families to found new homes in the West,rather than to rebuild in New Jersey.
In the early years following the close ofthe Revolutionary War, Caleb Stout, after serving in Captain Breaily's Company,Second New Jersey Regiment, and spending two years as a prisoner in Quebec,came to settle in Monongalia County in 1783. At first he appeared on Elk Creek; in 1796 he purchased from Jonathan'sson, Daniel, 245 acres on Brushy Fork of Elk. Caleb was taxed to vote in 1785. He was also registered to vote for President of the United States in1789.
A brother of Ben Stout, Jonathan, aLieutenant in the New York Regiment, turned west after his discharge from theArmy, arriving in Monongalia with his three sons, Bonham, Thomas, andDaniel. In addition to the land he hadclaimed in 1775, Jonathan obtained grants in 1785 for himself, Thomas, andDaniel, and in 1788, for his sons Bonham and Amos. Amos, a younger son, seemsto have been too young to vote with the five Stouts who were on the list ofthose who paid taxes in Harrison County in 1785. By 1792, Jonathan's wife and family appear, for a daughter,Sarah, is named in the marriage records of that year.
In the year 1790, Job Stout, with Abner andJoseph, his brothers, is found for the first time in Harrison Countyrecords. Job secured 95 acres, Abner300 acres by 1796, Joseph had 1260 acres on the West Fork River in 1793. This Abner Stout had married Levina,daughter of Jonathan, who sold Abner 300 acres of land in Harrison County. By 1793 Abner had purchased land and movedto Washington County, Pennsylvania, near his brother, Ben. After 1817, no further record of JosephStout is found in Harrison County. Helater is found in Doddridge County.
A brother of Ben and Jonathan was Hosea. His name appears for a brief period in thelist of voters in the 1790's, but he disappears. A Hosea Stout is on record as having gone west with Brigham Young,serving for a time as Young’s private secretary, later rising to the positionof Attorney General of the State of Utah. Whether the Hosea who lived in Harrison County was the Hosea of westernfame has not been established.
A fourth brother, Ezekial, found his way toHarrison County in 1787, laying claim to 870 acres on Brown 5 Creek, south ofthe present Mt. Clare. His landadjoined that of Edward Jackson of the Jane Lew Jackson line. Ezekial's land is still in the possession ofhis descendants, one of whom now lives close to the site of the original logcabin. Growing on the lawn of thishouse is a rose bush which is proudly pointed out as being the one which wasbrought by Ezekial's wife, Sarah Drake Stout, when she settled there aftercoming from New Jersey.
By 1796, the total amount of land owned byStouts in Harrison County was 4,541 acres.
Hezekiah Stout, brother of Jonathan, laidclaim to land in 1783 on Brushy Fork, and his name appeared on the list of taxedvoters from 1796 to 1799. Though hewas twice married, to widow Smith and to widow Sorter, Hezekiah had nochildren. Mrs. John Lang, late ofBridgeport, reported the story of Hezekiah told her. "Uncle Hezekiah was slow." Mrs. Lang said. "One Sunday morning when they had ahouse full of company, Aunt Becky, Uncle Hezekiah's wife, was making biscuitsfor breakfast. She needed a hot fire but was running short of fuel, so to thefirst person who came through the kitchen, without turning to look who it was,Aunt Becky called out, "Say, would you bring me a load of wood?" Not receiving any reply, she turned to lookat the one who had entered. When shesaw it was her husband, she added "And don't be all week." Uncle Hezekiah stopped long enough to takein the situation. Then, with a knowinggrin he slowly and deliberately picked up his hat and cane and left thehouse. He returned a week later to theexact hour carrying on his arm the load of wood."
THE EDWARD ANDNANCY HART FAMILY
Nancy Ann Stout, the daughter of St. Ledger CoddStout was a direct descendant, in the royal line of England, of Prince Lionelof Antworth, son of King Edward III. The seventh descendant in line from Prince Lionel was Sir Anthony St.Ledger who came to America in 1609, and was a personal friend of Sir WalterRaleigh. Sir Anthony became a memberof the Virginia House of Burgesses. Later, he returned to England and became the Lord Mayor of London. Mary Ann St Ledger Codd, of the fourthgeneration following Sir Anthony, was the first of her family to remain inAmerica. In 1730, Mary Ann marriedJames Stout, the great grandson of Richard and Penelope through Jonathon andhis son, Colonel Joseph. Nancy AnnStout was the granddaughter of James and Mary Ann St. Ledger Codd Stout whosettled in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia.
Nancy Stout married into the Hart familyduring the Revolutionary War. Edward Hart, while a soldier serving in the NewJersey Militia, received a three-day pass to go home to marry Nancy. George Washington attended the wedding, andlater visited in the Hart home. WhenGeneral Washington chose 2200 men to go with him to cross the Delaware River toTrenton, December 25, 1777, Edward Hart was one of the group. Edward in hislater life received a pension for his military service
Edward Hart was the son of John Hart, signerof the Declaration of Independence. Mrs. Elizabeth Buckey, a Hart descendant in Beverly, says that John Hartcame with his sons Edward and Daniel when they came to settle there. "Later, he returned to New Jersey byway of Baltimore," she says. Therecords say that he left his home and hid out for two years. When he returned home his wife wasdead. When the countryside was"beset with enemies and infested with tories" she had fled her homewith her children. After losing hermind from worry, Deborah Scudder Hart died October 1776.
John Hart had been a delegate to the firstand second Continental Congresses and Speaker of the New Jersey Legislatureuntil illness forced him to resign. England took all of John's estate, reducing him to poverty. "Honest John" as he was commonlyknown, died before victory was assured in 1780, at seventy-two years of age.
Some years ago an article appeared in theSaturday Evening Post which stated that a reward had been offered by theBritish during the Revolutionary Period, which would pay $10,000 for any signerof the Declaration of Independence whether dead or alive. To escape capture, John Hart, Edward'sfather, slipped away into a swamp in which Col Charles Lindberg later built hishome. One cold rainy night in thisSourland Country of New Jersey, he was in the swamp trudging along when he sawa small light in a cabin window. Theman who lived in the cabin answered when John knocked at his door to inquire ifhe might find lodging for the night.
"We have only one bed, but you may sleepon the floor with the dog," was the reply. John Hart accepted gladly, but he left early in the morning,always in fear of being recognized. Hishost that night probably never knew whom he had befriended. The hardships he suffered shortened John'slife.
Edward Hart was a contractor. In 1787, he took the contract to build thefirst courthouse and jail at Beverly for $400. After ten years, the work was concluded. Edward also gave the town a playground for pitchinghorseshoe. This was the first publicplayground in the United States. In 1798, Edward Hart gave bond to keep an"Ordinary" (Inn) in Randolph County. His prices were: "For lodgingand clean sheets each night .08, Breakfast .12, Supper .12, Dinner.16." Through the years Edwardaccumulated about 600 acres of land. All of his estate he willed to his wife Nancy provided that she wouldremain single after his death. In caseshe should remarry, she could have but a third for her own use, all to bepassed on to her nine children after her demise. Edward Hart passed on in 1812, Nancy died in 1844. Both areburied in the Beverly Cemetery.
Edward and Nancy's oldest son, John MontgomeryHart, married Deborah Stout, his first cousin, daughter of Abagail Hart,Edward's sister, wife of Moses Stout. In 1803 the family lived in a large house on Rich Mountain. They moved in 1822 to the town ofElkins. In 1829, John served asSheriff of Randolph County. He moved toKentucky in 1834, where his wife died. Returning in 1858, he lived for a time with Ziba Reese, his grandson, inwhose home he died in 1865. The JohnMontgomery Hart home in Elkins was on the spot where a stone house now standsjust outside the gates at the Maplewood Cemetery. The wall nearby is still in use as it was a hundred yearsago. The story goes that the MosesStout family moved from New Jersey to settle in Harrison County around 1800,and that some descendants supposedly went on into Gilmer County later.
Edward and Nancy Hart's daughter, Abigail AnnHart, married Tyrus Wees. Their grandson, Boyd Wees, was a prosperous merchantin Elkins.
Joseph Hart, Edward's son, was a lawyer andprosecuting attorney in Randolph County. His daughter, Nancy Ann Hart, married Lemuel Chenowith, the builder ofcovered bridges. He also built finefurniture and houses. It is told of Lemuel that he went to Richmond, Virginia,to put in a bid for building the Philippi Bridge. He carried in his saddlebags small logs, which he had sawed andwhittled, out of which he constructed a miniature form of the proposedbridge. He laid his plan on two chairs,serving as abutments, then he stood and walked on the model bridge. He received the contract for the PhilippiBrigge and for five others, those at Cheat River, Huttonsville, Dailey,Beverly, and Ellamore. The Philippi Bridge built in 1852, was the only two-lanecovered bridge west of the Alleghenies. Some of the homes, which he built, are still standing in Beverly, amongthem the house in which his family lived at the intersection of routes 250 and33.
Edward and Nancy Hart's daughter, Deborah,married Captain William Booth, a veteran of the War of 1812. He was a son of Daniel Booth whose father,Captain James Booth, settler of Booth's Creek, had been killed by Indians in1778. Daniel had been the owner andoperator of the Booth's Ferry, which was later, replaced by the PhilippiBridge.
Little is known of Captain William Booth'sfamily except that after William's death all of the family went to Illinoisexcept the son, Houston, who settled near the Booth schoolhouse in HarrisonCounty. Some of the family located inChicago where they started the Booth Fisheries that developed into a million-dollarindustry. Some of William Booth'sdescendents married into the Stout family.
THE DANIEL ANDRACHEL FARNSWORTH FAMILY
Daniel Farnsworth, the son of ThomasFarnsworth, Jr., was born at Staten Island in 1766. After his marriage to Rachel Stout of New Jersey, they lived forsome time on Staten Island, New York, before selling their land and settling inWestern Virginia in 1814. The money,which they received for their New York land, consisted of gold guineas, whichthey used to pay for their new homestead. Some pieces of the money, which were left over, were handed down inlater years among various members of the family as keepsakes. The land, which they purchased, was made upof parts of some and all of others of five counties of present West Virginia.
Daniel brought Rachel and the children in acarriage. The diary of their journeyfrom New York to Philadelphia, to Lancaster, to York, to Gettysburg, toHancock, Maryland, to Cumberland, to Morgantown, to Clarksburg, and present Buckhannongave, in addition to the route, the names of the Inns and their Inn Keeperswhere they stopped. On their arrival,Daniel built the first dwelling house on Buckhannon Island, his son, James, thefirst store. Some of the descendantsstill live on land purchased by Daniel.
A descendant of note was Daniel D. D. T.Farnsworth, 1819 -1892, a tailor, storekeeper, and farmer, who was elected in1861 to the General Assembly at Richmond. Severance of West Virginia from the Mother State, however, precluded hisattendance. Instead, he became amember of the second Wheeling Convention, and of the first House of Delegatesof West Virginia. When he served in theState Senate of West Virginia, he was chosen President of the Senate. On the resignation of Governor Boreman, heserved as Governor of West Virginia for five days, Feb. 27 to March 3,1869. In 1872, he was a member of the Second Constitutional Convention.
Another descendant, Dr. Floyd F. Farnsworth,born 1869, became one of the officials of the State Board of Health ofCharleston. His son, French M. Farnsworth, born 1891, became a druggist atBuckhannon. Ida M. Farnsworth Curry of Rock Cave, WestVirginia, was a teacher of Piano for many years. She was still living in August of 1959, at the age of 96. After suffering a broken hip, she was stillable to sit up in bed to write a letter telling about her family. Her Grandfather, Nathaniel D. Farnsworth,was said to be the oldest resident of Buckhannon in his time, and lived in alog house there. This family hasintermarried with the families of Jackson, Reger, Hart, Bassel, Edminston,Clifford, Martin, Carper, and McCarty.
THE BENJAMIN AND REBECCA DOOLHAGEN - MARTHA SCHENK STOUT FAMILY
The first Benjamin Stout, whose name appearedin 1754 (*) on a claim of land on Simpson's Creek, must have come at eighteenyears of age, for his birth date is given in New Jersey records as 1736. His claims to land in Harrison County wererecorded in 1775. Only in New Jerseyrecords are found the names of Rebecca Doolhagen, Ben's first wife, with threesons, Andrew Bray, Samuel, and Benjamin. A fourth son, Hezekiah, appears later in Harrison County as does MarthaSchenk Stout, Ben's second wife, whom he married in 1772, the date of their coming to Western Virginia. Traditionsays that Ben Stout was killed by an Indian. There are no details as to when or where, but Ben's will is found onrecord under the date of September 17, 1788, in Book 31, Page 145, of NewJersey wills.
(*) date not verified in Harrison County records.
The rest of the family's story is learnedfrom Harrison County records. In 1789, Ben's son by his first wife, HezekiahStout, married Mary Powers. In 1790, Martha Schenk Stout's name firstappeared on the list of tithables in Harrison County. She later appeared on record under the name of Martha Stout,widow, on the applications for marriage of some of Ben's children in the yearsfollowing 1791. In 1793, the heirs ofBen Stout of Hunterdon County, New Jersey, purchased 180 acres on Board CampRun from Thomas Webb. In 1807, SarahStout married Thomas Eldridge, and in 1811, she sold for $500.00, 57 acres ofland on Booth's Creek, which she inherited from Ben Stout's estate.
On September 5, 1809, a daughter, Rachel,died leaving to her brother Nathaniel all her property which she specified asher inheritance from the estate of Ben Stout, late of Hunterdon County, NewJersey. Nathaniel signed the marriageapplication of a sister, Sarah. In1808, Nathaniel married Peggy Monhar. In 1800 a son, Daniel Stout, married Jemima Stout, Daughter ofCaleb. Some of the Daughters chosefirst cousins as their husbands: Catherine, in 1791, married Ezekial's son,Daniel; Mary, in 1797, married Ezekial's son, Dr. Hezekiah. A daughter, Charity, in 1802 married JamesMalone. They settled at Stout's Millsin what is now Gilmer County.
After Daniel, with his wife, Jemimah, movedto present Stout's Mills, he purchased, in 1807, 103 acres along the LittleKanawha River. While the Staunton toParkersburg Turnpike was in process of construction between the years 1831 and1836, Daniel Stout was employed as a hunter and packer to provide meat for theconstruction engineers. Gilmer Countyrecords state that Daniel was accidentally shot at a deer lick, and was buriednear Smithville, Ritchie County. In 1848, Jemima, widow ofDaniel, Mary, her daughter and the wife of Phillip Norman, and also a son,Samuel E. Stout, signed the deed in which the farm of Daniel was sold toCurrance Conrad.
Concerning Ben's son, Hezekiah, very littleis known after his marriage to Mary Powers, in 1789. Professor T. MarcellusMarshall, a great grandson, was an early President of Glenville State NormalSchool. He wrote in a letter fromStout's Mills that when his Grandmother was old she told of having lived withher husband on the French Broad in Tennessee where he kept the ferry on theBoone Road to Transylvania. Professor Marshall further states that before 1801,Hezekiah had been in Webster county, where he had built a cabin at Stout'sGlade, later called Stout's Cabin, which was burned in the Civil War. He also said, the Stout people were atStout's Mills since about 1801. A largeshaft marks Professor Marshall's grave, in the Stout Cemetery at Stout's Mills. The Cemetery is almost inaccessible becauseof many years of neglect.
A grandson of Hezekiah, Samuel Smith Stout,writing in 1917, from Los Angeles, stated that he was one "of the thirdgeneration", and the last one of nineteen living, of the Stouts of thesettlement of the Stouts of Stout's Mills, West Virginia.
Records and letters seem to add up to thefollowing picture. Hezekiah Stout withhis wife and children, together with any sisters and brothers, or even cousins,with their husbands or wives; any in fact, in whom Hezekiah could stir up aninterest to go with him, a total of nineteen started out to settle in a placewhich he may have previously located. That place was at the mouth of BigSliding Hill Run along the Little Kanawha River on land covered with virginforest. On his arrival Hezekiah built acabin and a gristmill. He leased anacre of the land to James Malone, the husband of his sister, Charity. According to the agreement, James waspermitted to build any type of mill on the said land except a gristmill. The town, which later grew up about thelocation, took the name of Stout's Mills.
Other Stouts found in the same community wereHezekiah's brother Daniel, a cousin Sarah, and Hezekiah's son Hezekiah Jr., andSamuel and Thomas.
Professor Marshall further stated, "My land is just a mile across SpringHollow from where the first cabin was built on the flat bottom that extends tohere, where it spreads around considerably more. Later they built on the hill flat by the road some distance fromthe river, and where the public road has passed for nearly a century, to makethe turn and pass the bad bluff along the river."
Hezekiah Sr.'s name is on record in the 1840census of Gilmer as having eight in the family. By 1850 his land is in the possession of Hezekiah Jr., who laterwilled it to his youngest son, Samuel. When Samuel decided tomove to California, in 1863, he sold the farm of 130 acres to a first cousin,Sarah, and her husband, Robert R. Marshall. They were the parents of T. Marcellus Marshall, who told the story ofHezekiah Sr.'s last days. Marsellussaid, "Sarah Stout's grave is on my land, a mile from here, where I wasborn. Her husband took a drove ofcattle toward Lynchburg, Virginia, and never was heard of beyond thatlocality."
No record is found of the burial place ofHezekiah Sr., though the graves of his sons are in the Stout graveyard atStout's Mills.
In 1834, Hezekiah Stout Jr., received landgrants of 50 acres on Copen Run, 50 acres on the Little Kanawha River, and in1840 100 acres on Butchers Run. Hezekiah, born in 1788, the son of Hezekiah Sr., had been living in theStout's Mills community in the early days of its settlement. In 1807 he married Mary Ann Wolfe ofHarrison County. In later years he marrieda second wife, Sarah Kline, and a third, Mary Alexander. In 1865 William Stout, a son, wasadministrator of the estate of Hezekiah Jr. As such, he sold to Matthew Holt a lot, as directed in his father'swill. The will, dated August 13, 1850,left the home place to the widow, Mary Stout, and at her death to her youngestson, Samuel Smith Stout.
The family of Hezekiah Stout Jr. was a largeone, many of the children growing into men and women of fine character. They are remembered as leaders in theircommunities by some of the older folk today. Philip Rutherford was reared in the home of Hezekiah Jr., and in youngmanhood married a daughter, Emzey.
As a boy, Phillip managed a trap line, whichcovered a territory of 25 miles. Starting out on Monday morning, he would camp out at night, cook hisfood, and return home by the end of the week. For years Uncle Philip and Aunt Emzey lived in a hewn log house, whichhad been carefully built. This had been twice extended, no doubt as the size ofthe family grew. It was located in present Braxton County along Cedar Creek, athird of a mile above the mouth of Butchers Run. Many relatives and neighbors gathered at his old home to helpUncle Philip celebrate his ninety-first birthday. He passed on about a year later. He was buried beside Aunt Emzey in the Rutherford Cemeterylocated on his farm.
Uncle Phillip and Aunt Emzey Stout Rutherfordhad a son Daniel, who married Virginia Stout, a great granddaughter ofCaleb. Uncle Daniel, a fine carpenter,lived in a house he built adjoining the upper Hotel at Cedarville. He erected other homes in the community, butthe work that is most appreciated is the building of Cedarville Baptist Church. The structure is still in use. Uncle Daniel and Aunt Virginia were probablythe best loved people in their community. A daughter of Hezekiah Stout Jr. was Nancy, the wife of DanielTownsend. Though they lived at Stout'sMills, Daniel ran a mill of his own at Sand Ford. Leona Baker, who was reared in his home and later married Nancy'sgrand nephew, makes the statement that Nancy was an efficient housekeeper and afine cook. Nancy was a midwife and anurse for all the sick of the community. She still found time to be the best quilter in the community. "She made a quilt for everybody,"Leona said.
A daughter of Nancy Stout and DanielTownsend, Louisa, married Marion Stout, great grandson of Caleb. After Marion was killed by an explosion of asteam engine engaged in threshing grain, Louisa took a second husband, Jahu (Jabe)Greenlief. Aunt Lou, as Louisa wascommonly known, was a pillar in the church. At every meeting Aunt Lou sat in her pew, wearing her little cap andwhite apron. She came to life in arevival meeting when she shook hands with all and urged them to "befaithful, live faithful." Two sonsand two daughters were leaders in the church and community.
A granddaughter of Nancy Stout Townsend,Hallie McCullough, carried on Nancy's tradition. The night was never too dark, the roads too muddy, nor the weathertoo bad for her to travel any number of miles on horseback to help a sickneighbor.
Two sons of Hezekiah Stout Sr. settled inGilmer County, Samuel and Thomas B. Samuel Stout married Elizabeth Stump and settled at Stout's Mills. Their daughter, Sarah, married Robert R.Marshall, in June 1861 after having wrongfully accused of killing a FederalCourier. John F. Sutton, in his History of Braxton County, gives this accountof the tragedy:
"Two Federal Couriers, coming up WineHill from Big Run were fired upon by Ben Haymond, and one of them waskilled. Just over the hill on the westside of Wine Gap, near the foot of the hill, some Federal soldiers capturedThomas Stout and two of his sons, Jonathan and Isaac, at their home, broughtthem to this place, and killed the father, shot Isaac, and wounded himbadly. Jonathan made his escape byflight. Thinking Isaac was killed, thesoldiers ran after Jonathan, shooting at him, and while this was going on Isaacmade his escape. Jonathan joined theConfederate Army, lived through the war and for many years thereafter, and wasfinally killed by a falling tree. Isaac, though badly wounded iii the mouth, recovered and is stillliving." (1919)
Madge Stout Douds, Manager of the RobinsonGrand Theater in Clarksburg, West Virginia, is a granddaughter of Isaac. Pearly Stout of Burnsville is a son ofThomas, and a grandson of Thomas who was shot.
Some of the Caleb Stout Great Grandchildrenattended Mr. Robert R. Marshall's subscription school when he taught in an oldlog church that stood on the same spot as the present Baptist Church atCedarville. The tuition at the timeranged fro fifty cents to a dollar per month per pupil.
At least two of the brothers of Hezekiah Jr.,as well as others of his twelve children settled in the various communities inthe vicinity of Stout's Mills. Amongthe descendents were the Jessee Stump, the William Cottril, and the JemisonHeater families.
These pioneers were known for theirhospitality. If one came to their door,he would be invited to "stay all day," when he rose to leave he waspressed to "stay all night." If he responded that he must be going, he must also reply, "Youcome and go home with me," or "you pick up and come down and spendthe day with us." If a man wereplowing in his cornfield and a neighbor arrived to visit him, all work wassuspended and the day was spent in socializing.
THE JONATHAN AND HANNAL JEWELL FAMILY
Jonathan Stout, brother of the first Ben who cameto Simpson's Creek, enlisted in the Revolutionary Army in the First New JerseyRegiment of Enlisted Men. He rose tothe rank of Lieutenant before receiving his discharge from service in New YorkState. Though Jonathan had previouslylaid claim to lane in Western Virginia, his name appears first on the HarrisonCounty Tax List in 1785
In the Simpson's Creek Church Minutes of 1780, thereappears a record showing that Reverend John Corbly on that date baptized DanielStout, his wife Elizabeth, and brother Thomas. These were the two sons and daughter-in-law of Jonathan. If we can trust that date as being accurate,it establishes the fact thatJonathan's sons were living on Simpson 5 Creek after their father had returnedto New Jersey for his service in the Army. It further shows that these Stouts were holding to the tradition of theearlier generations of the Richard Stout line in joining the Baptist Church.
By 1792, the date at which Jonathan's wife, Hannah Jewell, andhis daughters are mentioned in legal records, Jonathan had settled on Simpson'sCreek. By this time, he had spent 77 ofhis 96 years. It was in that year thathis daughter Sarah in Harrison County married James Malone. After 1800, a second daughter, Priscilla,is on record as becoming the wife of John Murphy. A third daughter, Louisa, had previously married Abner Stout, ofthe Richard-David Stout line. A deedrecorded in Harrison County states that Jonathan sold a 300-acre tract of landto Abner, his son-in-law. Not longafter, however, Abner and Louisa moved to Washington County, Pennsylvania,locating near his brother, Ben. One of their descendants is the recent GovernorMartin of Pennsylvania.
Jonathan's son, Bonham, married Sarah Finley and later Ann Sairin Harrison County. But by 1812, he hadmoved to Ohio and later on to Missouri. Daniel and Elizabeth also moved west, settling finally in Kentucky,after spending some time in Missouri. Jonathan's two sons, Thomas and Amos, remained in Western Virginia. Amos, who married Rachel Patton owned landfirst on Simpson's Creek and Stout's Run, but by 1799, he moved to HackersCreek, present Lewis County.
Thomas, whose wives were Margaret Phillips and Mary Stewart,owned land on Elk Creek in 1775, but lived on Simpson's Creek in 1785. He became a noted spy in the Virginiaservice on the frontier, for which he received a pension in 1833. The Thomas and Amos Stout descendants stillremain in Harrison County.
Later generations appreciated the stories of "UncleTom's" scouting days. Mable Stout,a descendant, now a retired teacher, of Clarksburg, is the authority for thestatement that when her grandfather, James Pindall Stout, as a boy went withhis father, Ben, to visit Uncle Tom, the boy became enthralled by the storiesof Indian days. Upon his return home hekept asking so many questions that his father threatened to give him a"tanning" if he asked anything more.
Benjamin Stout, son of Thomas, had been reared on, and laterinherited the home farm, which was located about two miles north of the presenttown of Bridgeport. When the town wasincorporated, Ben Stout was said to be the oldest resident. His house was then one of the finest in theCounty. A legend exists in the family of Ransel Romine of Clarksburg that whenthe Romine family arrived from Maryland to settle in Western Virginia, theystopped at Ben Stout's home to inquire the way. They were fed, kept over night, and treated so well that thefamilies were friends ever after.
When Ben was Justice of the County Court, he applied forpermission to build a dam for a saw and gristmill. Ben's lands were heavily timbered, and he and his son JamesPindall, sawed great quantities of lumber, some of which was loaded onto flatboats and floated to Pittsburg. In1839, on the recommendation of the County Court, the Governor appointed Ben,Sheriff of Harrison County. After Ben'sdeath in 1843, his son James continued to run the Mill until it was washed awayshortly after the Civil War. He was theonly Confederate sympathizer in the family.
The sons of Ben were prominent in business affairs of the County. John R., a farmer and grazer, at one timeowned about a thousand acres of well-watered land. Thomas moved to Washington County, Pennsylvania, about1860. Ben Brown Stout served as CountyCommissioner for ten years. Lemuel E. Stout was a blacksmith in the Union Army,serving only a few days until the war ended. After returning home, he became a farmer. His name is remembered best for the Methodist Chapel atBridgeport which was named for him because he was influential in its buildingand had contributed largely to its maintenance.
Later descendants of Ben have also taken a large place in publicaffairs. James Otis Stout was afarmer-teacher who married Mary E. Crawford, who in her nineties was the oldestmember of the Clarksburg Baptist Church. She had joined the congregation while its members met in the old CourtHouse before a church building had been erected. A grandson, Charles W., became a Judge in Harrison County. Bertha Stout was Principal of the BroaddusInstitute at Clarksburg before she became the wife of Porter Maxwell. Pauline Stout is Supervisor of HomeEconomics in the State Department of Education at Charleston.
The records of Harrison County list the following Stouts thathave served her in one capacity or another: W. Frank Stout, Lawrence R. Lynch,Alexander Stout, and J. Philip Clifford as members of the Harrison County Bar,the last a Prosecuting Attorney for many years. Rev. Ben Stoutgrandson of Sheriff Ben, son of JohnReynolds and Hannah Rose Stout, was one of the most distinguished ministers ofthe Methodist Protestant Conference in W. Va. He later became the first Home Missions Secretary of the GeneralDenomination, traveling to organize missions and solicit funds. His eloquence earned him the name of"W.Va. Cyclone." Always a popular speaker, he was called to dedicate31 churches. It was said of him, "His enthusiasm was as contagious ashis eloquence was inspiring." Inthe second year of his ministry, he organized the Methodist Protestant Churchat Parkersburg. He married Martha Hull,daughter of a charter member of that church.
Rachel Stout, who married Samuel Sheets, had a daughter, Florence, whomarried Rev. Hamilton Young of the Methodist Protestant Conference. This pastor held some of the greatestrevivals ever known in Lewis County.
Rev. Ben Stout's sister, Mrs. Adam Fleming, in recent years providedtombstones for the leading members of her ancestral line in the BenedumCemetery at Bridgeport - a fitting tribute to a worthy past.
Other descendants stand out in prominence Sylvester B. Stout was formerly Directorof the School of Music of Louisiana School of Music. His son, Kemble, was thehead of the Music School in Washington State. Bertha Stout Brown, daughter ofCharles Q. Stout and Tina Prim Stout, is a teacher in Harrison County.
THE CALEB AND ELIZABETH LABAWFAMILY
Early local histories of Western Virginia state that theearly settlers arrived over different routes. One was the Nemacolin Path, present U.S. Route 40. Another was the trail from Winchester,Virginia, to Western- port, Maryland, thence to the mouth of the Cheat River,present Graf ton, West Virginia. Athird route left from Staunton, Virginia, across the mountains to the presentBeverly, and thence further west into the present Harrison, etc. Counties.
Unless they walked, the settlers rode on wooden saddles atoppackhorses. Any possessions, which they brought, were carried in saddlebags orcreels made of hickory withes. Thesepossessions consisted mostly of agricultural tools, cooking utensils, bedding,and provisions. Children too young towalk were "tied on top as securely as possible." The description of their coming to thefrontier is identical as recorded in the histories of several families.
Nanny L. Fordyce described one family's coming asfollows; "The husband and father carried an axe and gun on his shoulder;the wife the rim of a spinning wheel in one hand and a loaf of bread in theother; several boys and girls each with a bundle according to size. Two horses were each heavily loaded withnecessaries. On the top of the baggageof one was an infant rocked to sleep in a kind of wicker cage lashed securelyto the horse. A cow formed one of thecompany and helped to bear her proportion of service. A bed cord was wound around her horns, and a bag of meal was onher back."
Caleb, son of James Stout, was the first of the David Stoutline to come to Western Virginia. Anearly Lewis County history states that Caleb Stout was the "first or amongthe first" to arrive with his family in a wagon. The event was noteworthy because of the fact that there were onlytrails west of the mountains at the time. Other families must have come with him to help hack down trees along theway, and to help dismember and reassemble the wagons where the trail or streamdid not readily permit a crossing.
The town of Clarksburg, at the time of Caleb's coming,consisted of two rows of cabins extending from the site of the present Court Houseeast to the Jackson home on the corner of present Main and Maple Streets.
It happened that Judge Jackson was holding District Court,and when it was whispered about that wagons were arriving, the Judge dismissedcourt and went with the other men present to witness the event. No doubt the arrival of a first wagon was asmuch a sensation as the coming of a first car or a first airplane at a laterdate. At the place where Elk Creekempties into the river, present West End Bridge, the men helped to dig down thebank of the stream to enable the wagons to cross. The Judge himself put his hands on Caleb's wagon to help steadyit in crossing the stream. The nextday, the town folk turned out to help Caleb build his cabin. The date of Caleb's arrival is known only bythe fact that in 1785, he was registered in the John Powers List on Simpson'sCreek to vote in the election for the first President of the United States.
In 1775, while still a resident of New Jersey, Caleb had seenservice in the Revolutionary War. Enlisting in Captain Breaily's Company, 2nd New Jersey Regiment underColonel Maxwell, Caleb had gone north with Major Arnold through Maine toQuebec. Following the Kennebec andChaudier Rivers, many of the men of the Company sickened and died because theirprovisions had become moldy from being upset in crossing the rapids in theRiver. The men had even reached theextremity of boiling leather to eat. Only a few of the original group reached their destination. They had towait awhile across the river to build boats and gain recruits. Finally, they crossed and tried to take thefortress of Quebec by attacking from two sides at the same time. In the attempt, General Montgomery waskilled, Major Arnold wounded and Caleb Stout taken prisoner.
Held within the walls for nearlytwo years, he finally escaped on the night of December 31, 1777. "Without shoes or underwear, clad onlyin an overcoat" in the Canadian winter, he found his way back to thePatriot's camp. After his discharge he returned to his New Jersey home Immediately after the Revolution, withhis wife, Elizabeth Labaw Stout, and their children, he had started on his tripacross the mountains.
In 1788, Caleb purchased a twohundred forty-five acre tract on Brushy Fork, present site of Stonewood, fromDaniel, son of Jonathan Stout. Although Caleb and Elizabeth deeded this landlater to their sons, David and Samuel, they seem to have spent the rest oftheir lives there, for two leases are on record in which Samuel and his wife Nancygave to Caleb and Elizabeth the right of possession of their home place for therest of their lives. Both lived to beninety-six years of age.
Caleb's oldest child, Abel,migrated to Kentucky, and later to Butler County, Ohio, where he died in 1837.Caleb's son David's name appears in his will, dated 1825, in which he gives hispart of the home place to his brother James, and various items to his brotherSamuel and his sisters Deliverance, Jemima, and Eleanor. His wife, Elizabeth, is not named in thewill. A child, Gideon, was named, butnothing beyond that has been found. The marriage record of Titus to Phoebe Hall gives the name of DavidStout as signing the petition. Nothingfurther is known of Titus except that he signed the bond for his sister JemimaStout to marry Daniel Stout.
Caleb's daughter, Delia Ann(Deliverance) was unmarried. At thetime of the 1850 census, she was living then in the home of her nephew, NathanStout, in Gilmer County.
Another daughter, Eleanor, in1817 married Edward Davis, fifth child of Josiah (or Joseph) Davis and his wifeSophia Jackson Davis, daughter of John and Elizabeth Cummins Jackson of the"Stonewall" Jackson line. Infact, Sophia was Stonewall's great Aunt. Through the years following 1820, Edward and Eleanor accumulatedconsiderable land on Major Power's Run. In 1846, they secured 108 acres on Rooting Creek. Later they bought a house and lot inJohnstown opposite the old blacksmith shop. At the death of her husband, in 1837, Eleanor received her share of theestate, and the remainder went to her only child, a son Washington J. Davis, alawyer of Lewis County. Jemimah marriedDaniel, the son of Jonathan, who settled in Gilmer County. The story has been given in Chapter seven.
Caleb's son, Samuel, in 1815,married Nancy Stout, daughter of Job and Margaret Richards Stout of WestMilford. Samuel and Nancy lived onUpper Elk, now Stonewood, for a time, and then moved with their children in1855 to Gilmer County. Samuel purchasedeleven hundred acres on Steer Creek for twenty-five hundred dollars, which hepaid in five annual installments. When his farm was overrun by the armiesduring the Civil War, Samuel, having been robbed, sold his place in 1865 for$12,000. Soon he moved to DoddridgeCounty where he later owned all of one valley, Hunter's Fork, in New MiltonTownship. At his death, he gave toeach of his twelve children $1,000.
Mrs. Oscar Andre, of Bridgeport,West Virginia, a descendant, has in her possession an Empire Period cherry chest,which Samuel and Nancy gave to their daughter, Sarah Catherine Stout, whomarried Smith Barnett. Smith Barnett was the son of Reverend Joseph Barnett andElizabeth Calhoun. Reverend Joseph'sparents were Joseph Barnett, who served in the Revolution, and Jane Smith both of whom are buried in the oldJackson Cemetery in Clarksburg.
Smith Barnett was married firstto Aiah Stuart, and they had one child, Rebecca. When Rebecca Barnett was grown, she married Noah B. Stout, ayounger brother of her stepmother, Sarah Catherine Stout Barnett. This made for much confusion amongdescendants as to relationships. Mrs.Thomas Stutler of Salem is a granddaughter of Noah Stout and Rebecca Barnett.
James was four years old when hecame with his father, Caleb Stout, to settle in present Harrison County. He grew up to be a prosperous farmer, aDemocrat, and a Baptist. In 1811, hechose for his bride Phoebe, the daughter of Edward Jackson, who settled southof the present town of Mt. Clare. Phoebe's father had been one chosen by General Washington to cross theDelaware River with him on December 25, 1776. Edward and his son Stephen had fought together in the battle ofYorktown, when Stephen was wounded before he had reached his eighteenthbirthday. James Stout, in 1812,purchased from Stephen Jackson a part of the home place, which lay across thehill on Stone Pot Run. There James andPhoebe reared a family of four sons and two daughters.
Aunt Allie Jackson, late of JaneLew, said she remembered seeing Phoebe
Jackson Stout driving down thestreets of Clarksburg in her carriage
drawn by fine horses, and herselfbeautifully dressed. One daughter,
Irene Stout, married Rev. LewisMcDonald and settled in Lewis County.
The second daughter, Martha,married a Dennison, as did her brother
Their son, Edward Stout, moved toMissouri and died of Yellow Fever. His bride, Byrd Lawrence, lived nearGeorge. His sons were a conductor on astreet car, a wholesale businessman, a prominent physician in Morgantown. William Stout alone remained inMissouri. Daniel Stout and his wife,Emmaline Booth - a John Hart descendant, lived in the home place with hisfather until the Staunton to Parkersburg Turnpike was being constructed, whenDaniel built a large frame house on the Lost Creek side of the hill along thenew road. That house was recentlyreplaced by a new brick home built by Daniel's grandson, Jesse D. Stout. Daniel's daughters, Emma and Laverne Stoutlived nearby. The latter being themother of Hoffman and French Young.
The only son, Lloyd, became aninfluential man, President of the Board of Education, a founder and Director ofThe Harrison County Bank. At theformation meeting of that bank, the story goes, all details were worked outleading to the point where forty to fifty thousand dollars must be put up. Someone said, "Where will we get the money?" After a hush, Lloyd spoke up,"Gentlemen, I reckon I can let you have that amount."
Another son of James Stout andPhoebe Jackson Stout, Nathan, went about 1840 to settle in Gilmer County. The land which he purchased near Stout'sMills he later exchanged for another near the village of Townsend's Mills -later known as Cedarville. A teacher ofsubscription schools, a farmer, Nathan later served as a commissioner in thedivision of Gilmer County from Lewis. His wife was Elizabeth Ann Cottril from Harrison County. The children settled in homes nearby andbecame substantial members of theCommunity. The youngest, John S. Stoutinherited the home farm. He was anundertaker, a farmer, and a teacher of singing schools. From his experience, he had acquiredperfect pitch so that without an instrument or tuning fork he could start asong on key. For more than twenty-fiveyears he served as Moderator of the Mt. Pisgah Association of the BaptistChurch, and as President of the Center District Sunday School Convention.
John's wife, Ellen Ora SnyderStout was the daughter of Jacob Snyder, who during the Civil War had gone as araw recruit into the battle of Phillippi, then across the mountains and downthe valley to Richmond with Jackson, back up the valley to Chancellorsville, oninto Pennsylvania, to Gettysburg, and back to Appomattox to the surrender,coming out of the service without a scratch. Rev. D. Blame Stout, John's son, recalled when as a small child hismother would take him to see her grandmother. She was old and blind, scarcelyremembering the things which happened each day, but able to tell stories of thedays when her family came to settle at Bulltown. They lived at first in a hollow sycamore tree, large enough toturn a fence rail around inside. TheIndians under Sitting Bull had only lately been driven out when the familyarrived. Ellen's Grandmother Conraddied at the age of 119 years.
(ed note: 118 years per BraxtonCounty History 6/77)
THE EZEKIEL AND SARAH DRAKE FAMILY
A brother of Ben and Jonathan,Ezekiel Stout, in 1787, came from New Jersey with his wife and seven childrento settle in present Harrison County. He lived first on Hacker's Creek across from Johnstown but within theyear he purchased trout George Arnold 870 acres of land on Brown's Creek, atthe foot of the hill that separates the valley from Lost Creek. There Ezekiel lived eight short years,dying in 1795. He was buried in afamily plot on the hill overlooking his cabin home.
Ezekiel's will gave to his wife,Sarah Drake Stout, the home place for her lifetime. At her death it was to be passed on to her youngest son, Dr.Hezekiah. The will gave to each of twosons, Daniel and Ben 200 acres of land, and to the four daughters, 50 acreseach. Sarah must have been a competentperson, for Ezekiel made her executrix of his will.
Sarah was, in fact, a descendantof Samuel Fuller who came from England on the Mayflower. When Sarah came from New Jersey, traditionsays she brought with her a rose bush, which she planted near her cabinhome. Her descendants today stillcherish the plant.
One of Ezekiel's daughters wasPrudence, the wife of Abraham Van Horn, who lived on the site of the BlakeSchool House near Rockford.
A third daughter, Hannah Stout,married William Powers, son of John Powers, Sr., who settled in WesternVirginia in 1771 and built a Fort west of the town of Bridgeport. His land later came into the hands of BenStout. Later, he was a Justice of thePeace, living near West's Fort, above Jane Lew. A diary, which William kept enabled him to collaborate withWilliam Hacker in the First Harrison County History. William's granddaughtermarried Eli, son of Levi Bond who was President of the first Board ofEducation, first Miller, and oldest resident (106 years) of Lost Creek. Ezekiel's fourth daughter, Sarah Stout,married Lieutenant John Powers, brother of William, a prominent IndianScout. He later became a Trustee of theRandolph Academy in Clarksburg. He wasappointed as a member of a commission to survey a road to Parkersburg.
At 15 years of age, JohnPowers, Jr., enlisted in Captain Joseph Gregory's Company of Indian Spies inMonongalia County, Virginia. He wasmade a 2nd Lieutenant; he voted in the first election for President of theUnited States and was a Justice of the Peace in 1800.
Ezekiel's son, Daniel Stout,married Catherine Stout, the daughter of his father's brother Ben. They owned land adjoining that ofCatherine's brother, Nathaniel, on Booth's Creek. This land Daniel left at his death, in 1808, to hisdaughters. The home place he left tohis wife to be divided between their sons, Daniel and Hezekiah. The last two named migrated to RitchieCounty where Hezekiah married and raised a family, but Daniel remained singleand lived to the age of ninety-seven years.
Ezekiel's son, Ben, was a twin ofDr. Hezekiah. Ben located in Pruntytown with his wife, Sarah Wilkinson. A grandson, Hon. John Wilkinson Stoutbecame a Civil Engineer, and later a prospector for oil, then a member of theHouse of Delegates of West Virginia. Another grandson organized the First Baptist Church in PleasantCounty. A third grandson, who settled inWood County in 1865, became a Colonel in the Militia.
Ezekiel's third son, Dr.Hezekiah, married Mary Stout, the sister of Catherine, his brother Daniel'swife. After Dr. Hezekiah studied medicine in England, hepracticed medicine in Harrison County for more than fifty years. The lance he used in his practice and therecipe, which he used in his successful treatment of cancer, is in thepossession of his great grandson, Claude D. Stout, of Wisconsin.
Aside from the running of hisfarm, and his practice of medicine, Dr. Hezekiah was employed as Court Crier atthe Harrison County Court House. He served as overseer of the poor in1830. When the Doctor was too busy tokeep his accounts, his wife, Mary, helped out. She did the collecting too, because Dr. Hezekiah did not always call hispatron's attention to a bill. To teaseMary when the Doctor planned to be away from home, he asked his servants to runup a red flannel petticoat on a pole before the house, to announce there wouldbe petticoat government in his absence.
Dr. Hezekiah's son, Milton Stout,married Elizabeth Hoffman in Harrison County, and lived for a time on the MosesVan Horn farm near Lost Creek. One day while Milton was felling a tree, hiswife came out of the house to watch. When Elizabeth felt the tree was about to fall on her husband, she ranscreaming into danger herself. ThenMilton, in his effort to rescue her, was himself caught by the falling timberand was almost instantly killed.
Elizabeth and her three smallsons resided for a time with Milton's parents. When she planned to remarry, her Mother-in-law decided to try to keepthe boys by process of law. The widow,too quick for legal procedures, was married early the same evening and traveledall night with her new husband and her sons in a buggy, reaching Marietta, Ohioby daylight, before the demurrer could be served.
One of the three sons was namedHezekiah Milton Stout, the father of Claude D. Stout, a genealogist, who hasdone some very valuable research in Stout family history. He became a lawyer without first gaining acollege education, by "reading law." The same grit and perseverance he employed to master his profession he hasused in hobbies of coin collecting and the tracing of family lines.
A brother of Claude D., ArloBurdette Stout, after gaining a PH.D. at Columbia, became a teacher at theUniversity of Wisconsin before being appointed Director of the BotanicalGardens in New York City in 1911, a position which he held until his death. He was the holder of a Phi Beta Kappa Key.
Other descendants of Ezekiel haveremained on the home place in Harrison County. Though the log house has been removed, two large homes have beenconstructed on the land, and are still in possession of the Stout descendants. French, Eli, Ocie Bohn, and Otta, greatgrandchildren of Dr. Hezekiah, have passed on in recent years. Their first cousin Howard V. lives on thesite of the original Ezekiel home.
A grandson of Hezekiah, DavidDaniel Stout, a physician, practiced medicine at Lumberport until his death in1903. His sister, Amanda Stout wasprominent in the Harrison County Sunday School Association at the turn of thecentury.
Some descendants of Dr. Hezekiahsettled at West Union, others in Ritchie County and in Parkersburg.
Anothergrandson of Dr. Hezekiah and his wife, Mary, was John Stout, son of Ben. Born in 1845, on the headwaters of HackersCreek he enlisted at eighteen years as a Private in the 20th Virginia Cavalryunder General William S. Jackson. Hewas taken prisoner and sent to Camp Chase, near Columbus, Ohio. Later he served until 1869 as a teamsterescorting Government trains to Santa Fe, Phoenix, Arizona, Denver, Colorado,Omaha, and Salt Lake. He was in anattack by Chief Red Cloud, of the Sioux. Another time, he was in an attack when277 men were wiped out by Sitting Bull. John himself lost his lower right arm and two fingers of the left hand in his tripsacross the plains. In 1884 hemarried. He located at Wilmot, Kansas,in 1869, on a large cattle ranch.
THE FAMILY OF JOBAND NANCY BRAY
In 1790, a second descendant of the DavidStout line appeared in present Harrison County namely Job, son of Joseph andMartha Reeder Stout. Job brought hiswife, Nancy Bray Stout of New York, and at least the older, perhaps all oftheir six children. Job chose BrushyFork as his place of residence, and may have lived in a cottage near that ofhis daughter, Martha.
Job died not long after, for Nancy hadmarried a Shinn and then Joseph Hastings and lost them both by 1796, when Mr.Hasting's will gives to Nancy's sons, Noah and Abner, the land which belongedto Job. Nancy herself lived until 1810to 1814, when she died at Peel Tree in the home of Colonel William Martin, herson-in-law. "Job and Nancy were buriedin the Limestone Graveyard three fourths mile east of Clarksburg", theirgrandson William Davisson stated.
Information as to the location of Job's homeon Brushy Fork is not very conclusive. Mrs. Lillian Booth said he settled "near Martha," RanselRomine pointed out as the "old Stout farm" the second farm from thelower end of the valley. Old could meanit belonged to any of several Stouts. Job, Job's son, Abner, Jonathan, Daniel,Ben, Hezekiah, or Samuel. Still anotherpossible location is the site of the large white house across the valley on thehill facing Martha's house, where Abner Sterling Stout lived in 1890.
Mrs. Lillian Booth tells this story: "About 1875, my great uncle, WilliamDavisson, grandson of Job and Nancy Bray Stout, gave Nancy's iron cook pot tomy family. For many years, I carried itwith me everywhere we moved. But when Imoved to Kentucky from Lewisburg, West Virginia, in 1927, somehow I missedpacking it. It held a gallon and ahalf, was rounded at the bottom, had three legs, bulged in the middle, grewsmaller at the top, had a flange about the top, and a bail handle. Uncle Billy told me how he'd watched Nancycook in that kettle when he was a boy. Oh Me! How sorry I am that Ilost that iron cook pot." Lillian said.
The children of Job and Nancy numbered six,namely, Martha, Susan, Abner, Job, Noah, and Joseph.
Martha Stout's husband, Josiah, was a brotherof the Daniel Davisson who was the Proprietor of land at Clarksburg. Josiah had lived for a number of years inMiddlesex, east of Princeton, New Jersey. He located on Brushy Fork in 1778. It may be that Josiah and Martha were married in New Jersey and wereinstrumental in bringing her father and mother later to Brushy Fork. The present farm of Abner Stout is the siteof the home of Josiah. The title tothe land has passed by will down through the generations until Virginia, wifeof Sydney Haymond and granddaughter of Josiah, sold the place to present AbnerStout's father, Cletus Stout. Sydney and Virginia had torn down the twooriginal cabins in which Josiah and possibly Job lived when they built theirpalatial home in 1790. An old cellaralone remains for the early buildings. Abner Stout and his wife, Agnes, have modernized the latter dwellingwith a beautiful result. Tradition says that at one time, Martha Stout ownedall the land where the city of Wilmington, Del. now stands. Martha was said to be fair and freckled,with red hair. Josiah and Martha areburied in the family cemetery about 300 feet from their home. At his death in 1833, Josiah left to Marthaall of his estate to dispose of as she chose.
There were twelve children in the family ofMartha Stout and Josiah Davisson. Manyof them took a prominent place in the county. Mary Susan Davisson married Abner, son of Thomas and Jane LewisMaxwell. Two stories are told abouttheir coming to Western Virginia. Thefirst states that Thomas came, found and purchased a place to settle, thenreturned to Pennsylvania to bring his family. The second states that Thomas brought his family when he came tosettle, returned to Pennsylvania, diedand was buried at Chillisquaque, Pennsylvania. Tradition says he was killed byan Indian
Local history tells how Jane Lewis Maxwellreared her family with the aid of neighbors like the Colonel William Lowtherfamily. One of Jane's sons was Lewis,who later became a prominent and wealthy lawyer in Lewis County. He laid out the lots on the site of thepresent town of Jane Lew, naming it so from his Mother's and his ownnames. Lewis was a pioneer resident ofWeston, West Virginia
Abner Maxwell, Susan Davisson's husband, wasa great athlete, known far and wide for his great strength - for he had neverbeen thrown in his life. His home waslocated on the first hill at the southern edge of Mt. Clare, on the site of thehouse of the late Mr. William Blake. Their cabin later burned, and the large farm which Abner had graduallyaccumulated dwindled after Susan's death. Abner and Susan were buried in a family cemetery on the hill along thepresent road above the home of the late Mrs. Adkins. A second wife, Judith Modisett, reared seven children.
"Susan's son, Frank Maxwell, when a boywould lie in the haymow all day Sunday because he did not have clothes fit togo courting like the other boys," said Aunt Lillian Davisson Booth wholived in the first farm around the hill from Frank. "He had a plan that made him a millionaire."
Frank Maxwell also became a remarkable man,6' 3" tall with an equally sturdy mind. When eighteen years of age, he worked as a farm hand at $100.00 peryear. On the side, he cut corn forfifty cents a day. After three years,he invested in cattle for himself. A"natural" at handling cattle, he looked after his Uncle Lewis'herd. He prospered, purchased land, andfinally became a Baron in Doddridge and other counties - the undisputed"cattle king of West Virginia." Frank spent much of his time in thesaddle, and his daily rides were eighty miles at certain seasons.
At death, he owned 20,000 acres of land, muchof which later proved productive in oil, which made rich the heirs whoinherited his fortune. Yet he at one time had split rails for twelve and a halfcents a day. Elected to the State Senate, he served with distinction. He died in 1851. Frank's wife, Frances, was the daughter of John Reynolds and ahalf-sister of Lovey, wife of Ben Stout, Sheriff. There were nine children in the family.
Porter, a prominent stockman in HarrisonCounty, owned 6,000 acres of grazing land. He resided in a spacious farm home near Route 20. He married first, Columbia Post, sister ofHon. Ira Carper Post, and second Bertha Stout, daughter of"gentleman" Ben Stout.
A son of Porter, Isaac H. Maxwell, marriedNancy Baker, a Beverly descendant of Edward Hart. Their son, Dr. Isaac Maxwell, is a leader in the Lost Creekcommunity, a successful veterinarian, a member of the County Board ofEducation. A daughter of Porter wasCarrie Virginia, wife of the late Judge Haymond Maxwell. Another son of Frank and Frances, Lewis,settled on a farm south of West Union, Doddridge County, and raised cattleextensively. He shipped cattle, sheep,and horses by the hundreds of thousands. He was also known for liberally providing for the families of thoseunder his employ and for caring for the church and school of his community.
Other members of the Maxwell family and theirdescendants have reaped a fortune from cattle, oil, and coal on their extensiveestates.
The third child of Josiah Davisson and MarthaStout, Nathan Davisson, married Elizabeth Carper. They lived in the house where Josiah had lived. Nathan was a merchant. Of Nathan's family of twelve children, hisdaughter Florence was perhaps best known. She was the wife of Hon. Ira Carper Post who owned a fine farm near PeelTree, with its palatial home called Templemore. Florence Davisson Post was the founder of the Daniel DavissonChapter of the DAR at Clarksburg. Herson was the noted writer of short stories, Melville Davisson Post. Reared near Peel Tree, he attended WestVirginia University, graduated from Law School, and practiced law before hefound himself writing. With the keenanalytical working of a lawyer's mind, Melville poured out mystery stories thatwere so perfect in plan that he soon was rated by the critics as second only toEdgar Allen Poe. His stories brought inhuge sums for his day. Soon he traveled abroad in search of settings for hisstories, living in France for a time. He married Mrs. Schoolfield,and built for her a beautiful lodge, The Chalet, on a hill not far from hisfather's house. His wife and child preceeded him in death. His home burned not long after his passing,in the early 1930's.
Other descendants of Josiah and Martha StoutDavisson include:
a. Ason Joseph who settled in Doddridge County. His children went to Ohio.
b. TheMisses Belle and Carrie Davisson who conducted a private school in Clarksburg in 1859.
c. Dr. William Late Coplin, former Presidentof Vanderbilt College, later Presidentof Jefferson Medical School in Philadelphia
d. Ason, Julius, who settled in Doddridge County.
e. ClaudiusE. Davisson, late merchant of Mt. Clare.
f. JohnH. Davisson, who was a prominent physician in Los Angeles,
In 1788, Susanna, the daughter of Job andNancy Stout, became the bride of William Martin, a nephew of Captain, laterJudge, John Bray, of New Jersey. Rearedin the home of Captain Bray, William Martin had enlisted in the Army atLebannon, New Jersey and served in the Commissary Dept. under Capt.McKnight, James Johnson, and John Bray. He served atPittstown, Raritan's Landing, and at Stony Point. Coming from New Jersey in 1786, Colonel Martin rose rapidly to aplace of prominence in the county. Hebecame the owner of the first general store in Clarksburg, and later Sheriff ofthe County. The home of Col. Martinwas at Peel Tree, across the road from, though a little nearer to Clarksburg,than the home of Dorsey Bartlett.
The children of William and Susanna numberedsix, all but one of which married children of Colonel Ben Wilson - part by hisfirst wife, Ann Ruddel, and part by the second, Phoebe Davisson. Martha, the other child, married aWeminger. Col. Ben Wilson was a memberof Congress, first clerk of Harrison County Court, and no doubt the mostprominent person in the Monongahela valley in his day.
It seems that Col. Martin first marriedHester Cheney, and she died in childbirth within a year. James is supposedly her child. After Susanna's death in 1814, William marriedJane Powers. Jane and her six childrensurvived Colonel William's death in 1851. Colonel and Susanna were buried at Gore Cemetery on the Shinnston road.
A son of Job and Nancy Bray Stout was namedJob for his father, but was often called Jobe. He married in 1795, Mary or Margaret Richards, who was a ward of RobertLowther, father of Col. William Lowther. The story goes that "She worked away from home, met this Stout man,and married him."
The land that Job secured was situated inWest Milford, extending from the Lost Creek road across the river and valley tothe hills along route 19. The mostmodern homes in the municipality have been built on the Stout farm. The Jobe Stout home, situated below theUnidis High School which was torn down in recent years to be replaced by amodern home, was a typical "roomy" house of the period, and it stoodamong stately trees. Miss Berta Lynch said she lived in that house as a childand liked the place so well she hated to see it torn down.
There were thirteen children named in Jobe'swill dated December 3, 1834. Of thefive boys in the family, "three of the brothers of Job Jr. were in theCivil War," Charles Davisson said. The marker which commemorates the site ofthe first cabin in the West Milford community is on the edge of the Jobe Stoutfarm. Jobe and Margaret Richards areburied close to their son Abner in the Old Bethel Cemetery south of the mouthof Buffalo Creek, on a bank overlooking Route 19. In his will, Jobe left the home place to his wife, later to bepassed to Abner and Martin.
Abner, in 1879 left the property to hissister Mary Pinchion; she gave more than 100 acres in turn to her grand niecesand nephews. Mrs. Ward of West Milford(at 93 years) said she lived near the Stout home when she was a young girl andremembered seeing the children when they came home on a visit.
Job's daughter, Nancy, married Samuel Stout,son of Caleb. (See chapter VIII)
Abner's brother Noah built a cabin in 1827,still standing in 1964, beyond the village of Kinchelow on a spot where threecounties meet - Harrison, Doddridge, and Lewis. Later the cabin was covered with siding. It is still the home oftwo granddaughters today. Noah hadbeen the father of three sets of twins of which only one child survived.
A son of Jobe and Margaret Richards wasanother Job called Job Jr., whose wife was Margaret Springston. They settled on Sycamore Creek. From theirdaughter Catherine who married Martin Wilcox many musicians have developed. Mrs. Genevieve Fritter is a talentedviolinist, teacher, and composer. Mr. and Mrs. Phillip Diehl andson George are professional artists. Mr. Diehl played at the coronation of King George V. at 15 years of age,and played the organ at a church in Cleveland, Ohio, James Wilcox is a directorof an orchestra at Phoenix, Arizona, and an arranger of orchestral music. Music seemed to "run in thefamily" for many were singers and players of various instruments, someeven without training. Mrs. Mary Moffetplayed the piano in church for years without ever having had a music lesson.
Little is known of the Noah Stout, son of Joband Nancy Bray Stout, who died before 1834, after marrying ElizabethTownsend. In a deed book in HarrisonCounty five children of Noah convey to Abner Stout and Nathan Davisson the landon Brushy Fork given Noah by Joseph Hasting's will. Children named in Deed Book22, page 325 were:
1. Nancy Stout
2. Ruhama, wife of James Martin
3. John Bray Stout, husband of Nancy (livedMeigs Co. Ohio, 1831
4. Noah, with wife Elizabeth
5. Lucinda (lived Athens, Ohio 1834)
Joseph Stout, son of Job and Nancy, marriedMartha Childers and settled at Jarvisville, Doddridge County. Their family consisted of twelve children.
In 1793 Joseph received a grant of land for1,260 acres and 185 acres on Middle Island Creek in 1831. The 1850 Census gives Martha alone as aparent of Joseph's children indicating Joseph's death.
Mrs. J.D. Allen of Salem is a Joseph Stoutdescendant through Martha Stout who married Jacob Helmich.
Abner Stout, son of Job and Nancy, was bornin 1779 and died in 1850. In his lifetime he lived through the RevolutionaryWar and the building of a nation, and in addition, the settlement of the west;building homes and taming the wilderness. Abner played his part well, for he helped rear a family of 12 children,and he amassed a considerable estate. His first wife, Rebecca Ireland, bore his 12 children - the second wife,Rebecca Monroe, survived Abner's death.
Abner's home place was along the Pike nearQuiet Dell, though he may have lived on Zack's Run or Brushy Fork early in hislife. True to the family traditionAbner was a fine farmer, stockman, and financier.
Abner's sons, James Martin Stout and AbnerSterling Stout followed in their father's footsteps. They farmed, raised cattle, and built up the land. James M. settled on Zack's Run, Abner S. onBrushy Fork. Many are the notablepeople in these lines such as Elizabeth Ward, mother of Aquila Ward and SusanJane (Mrs. Bond). Of Mrs. Ward, herson Aquila said, "No one couldplay sweeter music than my mother, so I kept her grand piano(square)." Aquila Ward's home isbeautiful, finished and furnished in excellent taste. It must be seen to be appreciated. Mrs. Bond's daughter, Mrs. John Lang, played a large part in thesuccess of 4-H camps at Jackson's Mill. Her influence for good on young people cannot be overrated.
Thomas Benton, son of James Martin Stout and hiswife Josephine, had a fine farm on Zack's Run - their home was a beautifulplace. They themselves are buried onthe hill overlooking the house. Jamesand Celia are buried farther up the same valley in a private cemetery. The old house nearby is very well built, invery good condition for one so old.
The Abner Sterling Stout family has producedstockmen of note, businessmen and bankers. Cletus was President of the Harrison County Fair Association foryears. Cletus chose as his partner thelate Laco Young and entered the Meat Packing industry. Abner, his grandson, continues in the workthough Mr. Young recently died
Cletus Stout's brother, Ai had a similar record forcattle raising. Benton's son, Ross Stout, seemed to have a bent for investingmoney - which always turned to gold at his touch. He had a stable of racehorses and showed them at the countyfairs. Coal lands also helped him togain wealth.
One of Abner's daughters, Nancy, married AugustusModicett. She lived in Nebraska whereher husband owned a large ranch and became a banker.
Elmore Stout was known at West Milford as a"highly respected citizen," as were his daughter, Mrs. John Helmick,and other descendants.
Ben Bassel Stout, son of James M., at one time ownedall the land from Quiet Dell to the outskirts of Clarksburg, adjoining theBooth farm and across the valley to the top of the ridge. At his death he gave 1,000 acres to hischildren, some of whom are living today.
Benjamin Bassel Stout's second wife was MaryCatherine Burroughs. They were theparents of four sons and three daughters: Lee, Carson, Charles, Meigs, May,Josephine, and Mary Martha. Carson diedyoung as a result of being kicked by a horse.