The Sumpter Family Genealogy:Information about William Sumpter
Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals | |Sources
Capt. William Sumpter (b. 23 Oct 1731, d. 1819)William Sumpter (son of William Sumpter and Elizabeth) was born 23 Oct 1731, and died 1819 in Burke County, North Carolina.He married Judith Randall.
Notes for William Sumpter:
From the book "Sumpter - A Branch of the Family Tree" by Harold E. Sumpter
'William was married to Judith Randall and became a farmer and land owner in Virginia. He made several land purchases after his father's death. After a period of time his land holdings were in the hundreds of acres. Deciding to go south he sold his land holdings in Virginia and moved to Burke County, North Carolina, in 1779. They lived near the Catawba River. Today the city of Morgantown is the county seat of Burke County and is located on the river. During the American Revolution William served as captain in the army fighting out of the state of North Carolina. He commanded a company of troops in Burke County under Colonel James Richards. William and his wife, Judith Randall, had nine children, all born in Albemarle County, Virginia. William died in 1819.'
More About William Sumpter:
Census: 1790, Burke County, North Carolina - Living Beside Thomas Sumpter.692
Children of William Sumpter and Judith Randall are:
- John Sumpter, d. date unknown.
- William Sumpter, b. Abt. 1757, d. date unknown.
- James Sumpter, b. Abt. 1759, d. date unknown.
- +Thomas Sumpter, b. 1761, d. date unknown.
- Eilzabeth Sumpter, b. Abt. 1763, d. date unknown.
- Amelia Sumpter, b. Abt. 1766, d. date unknown.
- +Fielding Sumpter, b. 1769, d. date unknown.
- Judith Sumpter, b. Abt. 1771, d. date unknown.
- Livingston Sumpter, b. 1773, d. 05 Feb 1846, Whitcomb, Franklin County, Indiana.