- Jerry Tending Bar at his Tavern (259 KB)
Jeremiah Cornelius Sweeney tending bar at his Taven.This establishment was also the office of the J. C. Sweeney Botteling Company.Brother Ed Sweeney is standing third from the left.
- Daniel Patrick Sweeney 1867 - 1943 (110 KB)
Daniel Patrick Sweeney, 1867 - 1943
- Daniel Patrick Sweeney and his wife, Ellen Donahue (264 KB)
Dan and Ellen at their home on Railroad Street, Canaan, CT.Circa 1905
- Sweeney Family Photo Circa 1897 (404 KB)
This photo was taken on the front porch of the Sweeney Family Homestead, Main Street, East Canaan, CT.
- Moore & Roger General Store, JCSweeney (231 KB)
Moore & Roger General Store, JC Sweeney standing in wagon, 2nd from left.
- Mary Elizabeth Sweeney Circa 1900 (69 KB)
Mary Elizabeth Sweeney Circa 1900 on the front porch of the Homestead.
- Winter at the Sweeney Homestead (110 KB)
Looking at the South Face of the Sweeney Homestead during the Winter of 2001
- The Sweeney Family Homestead , August of 2000 (429 KB)
The Sweeney Family Homestead was built in 1793 by James Johnson and has been occupied by a member of the Sweeney Family since 1866.In 1799 he sold it to Samuel Forbes who also owned the Iron Froge on Lower Road, East Canaan.
- Dan Cullinane, "Half Cousin from Provicence, R. I. (99 KB)
Dan Cullinane, Circa 1890.The inscription reads "Dan Cullinane, Ma's Father's Half Brother's Son".This would have been written by either Bill or Mary Toussaint speakiing of their mother Mary Elizabeth Sweeney's Father, Owen Sr.Owen's father had apparently died and his mother, Haunora Cronin Sweeney was remarried to a Mr. Cullinane.
- Clan Mac Suibne, the Sweeney Family Crest (128 KB)
Clan Mac Suibne (family of SWIvNEYa)The Sweeney Family Crest
- The Back Field at the Homestead, September 2000 (77 KB)
Looking Southeast from the back yard of the Homestead
- The Beckley Furnace Gang, East Canaan, CT. (194 KB)
The Beckley Furnace Gang, East Canaan, CT.Owen Eugene Sweeney is in the front row, fourth from the left.
- The Sweeney Homestead, Circa 1890 (68 KB)
Photo of the Sweeney Homestead Circa 1890.The House was built in 1793 by James Johnson.In 1799 he sold the House, two acres of land along with a Nail Factory and Horse Shope to Samuel Forbes.Mr. Forbes owned the Iron Forge on the Lower Road, East Canaan.
- East View of the Homestead, September 2000 (428 KB)
Looking at the Sweeney Homestead, showing the East side of the Home
- Honora Sweeney, Circa 1885 (47 KB)
Honora Sweeney, Circa 1885
- Mary Galvin Sweeney, 1843-1908, Photo Circa 1905 (148 KB)
Mary Galvin Sweeney on the front lawn of the Homestead.Notice behind Mary you can see the roof of Ed's Blacksmith Shop.
- Owen Eugene Sweeney, Sr.1831-1899,Circa 1860 (55 KB)
Owen Eugene Sweeney, Sr., Circa 1860.This may have been a pre-wedding Portrait of Owen, and may have been done in Ireland.This Portrait is either done in pencil or charcoal. There are no Studio names or markings on the Portrait.
- Owen Eugene Sweeney Jr. 1863 - 1921 (113 KB)
Owen moved from East Canaan to Ottawa Canada in the 1880's.He worked for the Rail Road in the Ottawa area for many years.
- Ed's Blacksmith Shop, Circa 1900 (120 KB)
Ed's Blacksmith Shop, Circa 1900
- Mary Galvin 1843-1908,Circa 1860 (39 KB)
Mary Galvin Sweeney, Circa 1860.This may have been an pre-wedding Portrait of Mary and may have been done in Ireland.This Portrait is either done in pencil or charcoal. There are no Studio names or markings on the Portrait.
- Catherine F. Haney and her sister, Nellie (53 KB)
Catherine F. Haney and her sister, Nellie Martha Haney, Circa 1950.Photo was taken at Catherine's home on Lake Street, Winsted, CT.
- Edward Francis Sweeney, 1869-1931,Photo C. 1890 (112 KB)
Edward Francis Sweeney, 1869 - 1931, Photo Circa 1890
- The Sweeney's of East Canaan, CT. Circa 1886 (332 KB)
This photo was originally thought to be Circa 1886 but it may range from 1883 through 1885.The names have been added for the children, from youngest to oldest, according to dates of birth.
- George F. Sweeney 1907 - 1984 (28 KB)
George Francis Sweeney during his Navy Tour, 1932 - 1936.Photo was taken shortly after boot camp while George was attending Machinest Mate School in Norfolk, VA.
- Owen Eugene Sweeney, Sr.'s Nephew, Owen and Wife (150 KB)
Owen Eugene Sweeney, Sr.'s Nephew, Owen and Wife taken in Brooklyn NY.Circa 1890 This appears to be their wedding photo.The inscrioption reads " Ma's Father's brother's son".This would have been written by either Bill or Louise Toussaint speaking of their mother Mary Elizabeth Sweeney's father, Owen Sr.'s brother, Daniel's son Owen.
- The East Canaan Baseball Team of 1890. (266 KB)
The Sweeney Boys were very much involved in the rapidly growing "New Sport of Baseball".This photo shows William and Thomas in the Team Photo.
- The Sweeney's of East Canaan, CT (38 KB)
The Sweeney's of East Canaan, CT.Photo was taken on the front porch of the Sweeney Family Homestead, Circa 1897
- William Albert Sweeney,1880-1956, Photo Circa 1940 (12 KB)
William Albert Sweeney, Circa 1940.Bill was the Road Foreman for the town of Simsbury, CT. for many years.This photo shows Bill standing by one of the Town Trucks.
- Ed Sweeney's Blacksmith Shop, Circa 1910 (203 KB)
Ed Sweeney's Blacksmith Shop, Circa 1910.