My Genealogy Home Page:Information about Thomas Bliss
Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals | |Sources
Thomas Bliss (b. 1585, d. 03 Nov 1653)Thomas Bliss (son of John Blisse and Agnes Old), 609 was born 1585 in Gloucestershire, England609, and died 03 Nov 1653 in Springfield, Hampden, MA609.He married (1) Unknown Margaret.He married (2) Margaret Lawrance Hulins on 18 Oct 1621 in St Nicholas, Gloucestershire, England609.
Notes for Thomas Bliss:
Genealogy of the Bliss Family in America.
Came to America about 1638 and settled in Hartford. Several of his children had moved to Springfield before his death, when his wife also moved to Springfield.
Daughter Mary accused of being a witch.
THOMAS, Hartford, was an early, but not original settler of whose coming from England nothing is known but his first residence was in that part of Boston called the mount, afterwards Braintree, now Quincy. In 1639 or 40 he is first mentioned in Conneticut at the same time with Thomas, jr. who may be the freemen of 18 May 1642 in Mass., there left by his father whose death is early heard of, though exact date is not known. His widow Margaret was very resolute and capable, and after two or three years removed with all her children except Thomas, and Ann, to Springfield, there died 28 Aug. 1684. She had nine children and it has been absurdly said, that all were brought from England. Of most, this is true. Ann, who married. 29 Apr. 1642 to Robert Chapman of Saybrook; Mary married. 26 Nov. 1646 to Joseph Parsons; Thomas; Nathaniel; Lawrence; and perhaps Samuel; were born in England but our side of the water may claim, probably Sarah, married 20 July 1659 to John Scott; Elizabeth married 15 Feb. 1670, as his sec. wife to Miles Morgan; possibly Hannah, who died 25 Jan. 1662, unmarried and certainly John." ("The First Settlers of New England", by John Savage, 1862) [Corrected electronic version copyright Robert Kraft, July 1994]
More About Thomas Bliss:
Christening: 25 Apr 1589, Stow Nine Church, Northampton, England.609
Record Change: 29 Jun 2005609
More About Thomas Bliss and Unknown Margaret:
Record Change: 19 Mar 2005609
More About Thomas Bliss and Margaret Lawrance Hulins:
Marriage: 18 Oct 1621, St Nicholas, Gloucestershire, England.609
Record Change: 29 Jun 2005609
Children of Thomas Bliss and Unknown Margaret are:
- Sarah Bliss, b. 1620, Gloucestershire, England609, d. date unknown.
Children of Thomas Bliss and Margaret Lawrance Hulins are:
- Margaret Bliss, b., Gloucestershire, England609, d. date unknown.
- Thomas Bliss, b. Abt. 1615, Preston Parva, Northampton, England/Preston, England609, d. 15 Apr 1688, Norwich, New London, CT609.
- Nathaniel Bliss, b. 1622, Rodborough, Gloucester, England609, d. 08 Nov 1654, Springfield, Hampden, MA609.
- Ann Bliss, b. 29 Apr 1624, Gloucestershire, England609, d. 20 Nov 1685, Saybrook, Middlesex, CT609.
- +Mary Bliss, b. Abt. 1625, d. 29 Jan 1712, Unknown.
- Jonathan Bliss, b. 11 Mar 1626, Daventry, Northampton, England/Daventry, England609, d. date unknown.
- Hester Bliss, b. Abt. 1627, Preston Parva, Northampton, England/Preston, England609, d. date unknown.
- Lawrence Bliss, b. 1628, Gloucestershire, England610, 611, 612, 613, d. 1676, Springfield, Hampden, MA614, 615.
- Samuel Bliss, b. 1630, Gloucestershire, England615, d. 23 Mar 1720, Springfield, Hampden, MA615.
- Hannah Bliss, b. 1633, Gloucestershire, England615, d. 25 Jan 1661, Springfield, Hampden, MA615.
- John Bliss, b. 1634, Gloucestershire, England615, d. 10 Sep 1702, Longmeadow, Hampden Co, MA615.
- +Sarah Bliss, b. 1635, d. 27 Sep 1705, Unknown.
- Elizabeth Bliss, b. 1640, Gloucestershire, England615, d. 02 Oct 1683, Springfield, Hampden, MA615.