| || Notes for John Andrew Mahey:|
!Born in Maple Avenue Hospital, DuBois, Pennsylvania, John lived with his family in Clarion, PA until the age of ten, when the family moved to Aspinwall, Allegheny Co., PA.He graduated from Perry High School, Pittsburgh, PA in 1950.In 1950
he entered Columbia College, the men's undergratue college of Columbia University, attending on full scholarship from the Readers' Digest. After completing his sophomore year at Columbia, he spent the summer with a cousin, Roger Mahey, in
Hollywood, CA, working at Lockheed Aircraft Corp.At the end of the summer he joined the U. S. Air Force as a private, attending boot camp near San Francisco and then being posted to Ellington AFB near Houston, TX.There he worked as a
chaplain's assistant for a year before entering navigation school.During this period he was stationed first at Lackland AFB, San Antonio, TX, then Harlingen AFB near Harlingen, TX, and finally F. B. Conally AFB at Waco, TX where he received
his navigator's wings in June 1953.From Waco he was sent to Moses Lake AFB in Washington State where he served as a navigator in transport aircraft.Later he was sent to Pepperell AFB at St. Johns, Newfoundland where he continued to navigate
transport aircraft until his honorable discharge as a 1st Lt. in the spring of 1957. Wishing to continue his college education, John, enrolled as a junior at the Pennsylvania State University where he studied art history, receiving his B.A.
degree summa cum laude in 1959.He supported himself on the G.I. Bill and savings accumulated during his years in the Air Force.Wishing to continue his education, but short of funds, he dropped out of school for a year, working as an
assistant buyer at Joseph Horn & Co., a large department store in Pittsburgh.He returned to Penn State in the fall of 1961 and received his M.A. degree in art history in the spring of 1962.Two months prior to graduation, he was recalled to
the Air Force and sent for a year's training in communication electronics to Keesler AFB in Biloxi, Mississippi.From there he was posted to Sacramento, CA where he worked in electronic communications and cryptology until 1964.Not wishing to
spend his life in the Air Force, John resigned his commission as a Captain and took his first museum job as assistant director of the Peale Museum in Baltimore, MD.
John remained at the Peale Museum until appointed to the directorship of the Crocker Art Gallery in Sacramento in 1969.Thereafter he took a series of other positions in order to advance his career in the art museum field: director of the
Cummer Gallery of Art, Jacksonville, FL, director of the Memorial Art Gallery, University of Rochester, vice president and chief curator of the Philbrook Museum in Tulsa, OK, director of the San Antonio Museum of Art, and director of the Flint
Institute of Arts in Flint, MI.
John never married.His major interests beside art history and museum administration have centered around music (he played the piano for many years), literature and genealogy, an interest he inherited from his mother who had done preliminary
work on the family's history prior to her death. He has traveled to every state in the United States and abroad to Mexico, Canada, Panama, Labrador, Greenland, England, France, Italy and Greece.