| || Notes for ANDREW CHRISTY:|
A memo of F.M.C. states that " Andrew Jr. came to Illinois and entered the 77 1/2 acres of the home", indicating that Andrew Jr. and Joseph R. preceded the family to IL and claimed the family homestead.The Illinois public land database lists this purchase by "Andrew Christy Jr., on 5/21/1822 in Lawrence county."
Andrew and Samuel C. Christy were induced to leave Lawrence county and go to St. Louis by Col. Nicholas Jarrott of Cahokia, IL.The brothers engaged in various pursuits and eventually they aquired an interest in the Wiggins Ferry company, which they held until their deaths.
Andrew Christy amassed a large fortune but died leaving no heirs.His will divided much of his estate between his siblings.He also left bequests for employees, friends and charities.
In 1840 Andrew and Samuel, or his widow, built together a double residence at 213-214 south Third street in St. Loouis.It was of 3 story brick construction.Later the building was used by a high school, The German Institute, and later as a rooming house.Building was torn down in1956.
Maj. Julius Pitzman was a civil engineer and surveyor who laid off and subdivided many large estates around St. Louis.Some figures from his papers:"Also the Andrew Christy estate, valued at $290,600, consisting of lots on Main street, south of Walnut, valued at $750 per front foot; on Fifth, north of Elm, at $90; and on the corner of Main and Walnut, at $1150 per foot"abt 1871
Samuel Wiggins and William C. Wiggins came to St. Louis about 1818.Samuel established an area on the east bank of the river with a hotel and a few houses.He obtained about 800 acres of land there, and secured the ferry rights from the IL legislature.William took charge of the ferry and stayed on for 30 years.Andrew Christy was part of the group that bought outSamuel Wiggins' ferry boats and rights.The first ferry boats were pulled by horses, paddle wheels pulled by a tread mill.In the 1830's, steamboats took over on the Mississippi, and the Wiggins Ferry Company operated these.
From Biographies of St. Louis - "Andrew Christy - Pioneer....he was noted for his public sprit and liberal ideas, and the conduct of the ferry by him was eminently satisfactory to the community and advantageous to St. Louis.In the period between 1835 and 1840, when the harbor of St. Louis was threatened with a diversion of the channel of the Mississippi, he took an active part in the meetings and measures which resulted int he work for preventing the diversion.He was chosen to the Missouri legislature in 1851."
From "Old and New St. Louis" - Andrew taught school for a while as a young man, in St. Clair county.Met Francis and Vital Jarrot of Cahokia, when he was about 27.Samuel Wiggins sold his ferry franchises to the Christy brothers in 1832.Between 1835 and 1840 Mr. Christy was in the grocery and commission business with Samuel Wiggins.This business was located on Chouteau's row.By 1865 the entire river front of East St. Louis, for a distance of some miles, was owned by Wiggins Ferry and during the year between one and two thousand passengers were carried across the river daily.
" Although in posession of a monopoly....Mr. Christy at no time in his career allowed the temptation to make money at the expense of the city's development to influence him.... insisted upon a liberal policy....and Mr. Christy's policy was universally approved."
according to most reports, Andrew never married, but there does appear in marriage records of St. Clair IL an Andrew Christy marrying Purdence Glover, 10/16/1831
Death record #c 10369 in Missouri archives.Last address was 916 Chouteau. V 3, pg 105, St. Louis City Deaths, 1850-1908.Has 12, Aug 1869.