UREN / PURVIS FAMILY TREE:Information about William Walkinshaw
Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals | |Sources
William Walkinshaw (b. 14 Aug 1807, d. Abt. Jun 1874)
William Walkinshaw (son of Alexander Walkinshaw and Elizabeth Davis) was born 14 Aug 1807 in St Mary Abchurch London, and died Abt. Jun 1874 in Bethnal Green London.He married (1) Mary Ann Blake on 02 Mar 1835 in St Mary Le Bow London.He married (2) Mary Ann Turpin on 23 Sep 1839 in Greenwich London.
Notes for William Walkinshaw:
Probably 2 wives
A Bachelor when married to Mary Blake
A widower/ engraver of Royal Hill when married to Mary Turpin
William started out as an engraver.North of St Pauls Cathedral was one of the largest centres for book trades in the eighteenth century.
In 1856 William is listed as a merchant ?? (Henry's marriage cert)
From London Post Office Directory1841
102 Leadenhall Street - Walkinshaw & Co (late T Wyatt & Co) East India and Oil Merchants , wholesale dealers in sauces, pickles etc, and for exportation.
(Also listed under Fish Sauce Makers)
(Also listed as Calcutta merchants)
Leadenhall Street passes through St Mary Axe, and on the corner of both is the church St Andrew Undershaft.
In 1871 William is listed as a warehouseman.
Definition from Wikipedia:-
A warehouseman can be someone who works in a warehouse, usually delivering goods for sale or storage, or, in older usage, someone who owns a warehouse and sells goods directly from it or from a shop fronting onto the warehouse (similar to a modern Cash and Carry)
In 1860's and 1870's William is a Dock foreman
The London Docks, opened in 1805, specialised in the handling of wines and spirits and became largely associated with the wine trade.
The large warehouses seen on the postcard (in scrapbook) were constructed by Daniel Alexandra between 1804-1805.
People from very wide backgrounds ended up working on the London docks when their circumstances changed.Did William lose his ability to engrave due to an accident?Did he go bankrupt?His 2nd wife's higher class background suggests he fell on hard times.In any case however his skills enabled him to rise quickly to Dock Foreman. ( or was Dock Foreman an honorary position?)
More About William Walkinshaw:
Date born 2: 1808, London Middlesex.
Died 2: 1874, Bethnal Green London.
Occupation 1: 1856, Merchant (from son's marriage cert).
Occupation 2: 1841, Engraver.
Occupation 3: 1849, From Henrys marriage cert - Engraver tin?.
Occupation 4: 1851, Acting Foreman London Docks.
Occupation 5: 1861, Dock Foreman.
Occupation 6: 1865, Printer - from Dau Clara marriage.
Occupation 7: 1871, Warehouseman.
Parents (Facts Pg): father Alexander - engraver- from William's marriage cert.
Residence 1: 1861, 6 Harrisons Building Whitechapel London.
Residence 2: 1841, St Mary Axe St Andrew Undershaft London Middlesex.
Residence 3: 1844, 72 Lambeth Street Whitechapel - labourer.
Residence 4: 1851, John St Bethnal Green.
Residence 5: 02 Feb 1854, 1 John Street Bethnal Green - Printer and engraver.
Residence 6: 1871, 4 Rellford Cottage Hackney London.
More About William Walkinshaw and Mary Ann Blake:
Marriage: 02 Mar 1835, St Mary Le Bow London.
Marriage Notes for William Walkinshaw and Mary Ann Blake:
banns called twice - 1827-1828
More About William Walkinshaw and Mary Ann Turpin:
Marriage: 23 Sep 1839, Greenwich London.
Children of William Walkinshaw and Mary Ann Blake are:
- +William Walkinshaw, b. 20 Feb 1824, St Pauls (Houndsditch) Middlesex, d. 1907, Williamstown Victoria Australia.
- +Henry Augustus Walkinshaw, b. Abt. 1829, Bishopsgate Middlesex, d. Abt. Sep 1897, Poplar London.
- Emma Walkinshaw, b. 1831, Houndsditch London, d. 11 Oct 1835, Bishopsgate London.
- Ellen Walkinshaw, b. Abt. 1834, London, d. date unknown.
- +Alexander Ebenezer Walkinshaw, b. Abt. 1837, Bishopsgate Middlesex, d. Abt. Jun 1902, Greenwich London.
Children of William Walkinshaw and Mary Ann Turpin are:
- Charles Edward Walkinshaw, b. Abt. Sep 1839, Bethnal Green London, d. 19 Aug 1842, Bethnal Green London.
- Elizabeth Emily Walkinshaw, b. 13 Jan 1842, 10 Lion Square Whitechapel, d. Abt. Jun 1844, Whitechapel London.
- George James ? Walkinshaw, b. 08 Apr 1844, Whitechapel London, d. date unknown.
- Charles Alexander Walkinshaw, b. 17 May 1844, St Mark Goodmans Fields Whitechapel, d. Abt. Jun 1844, Whitechapel London.
- +Clara Jane Walkinshaw, b. 18 Jan 1846, Bethnal Green London Middlesex, d. Abt. Jun 1874, Islington London.
- Edith Emma Walkinshaw, b. 03 Jun 1848, Whitechapel London, d. 24 Sep 1854, Bethnal Green London.
- Frederick Ebenezer Walkinshaw, b. 02 Oct 1850, Stepney London, d. Abt. Mar 1861, Whitechapel London.
- Selina Mary Ann Walkinshaw, b. 26 Feb 1852, Bethnal Green London, d. 18 Dec 1853, Bethnal Green London.
- +George Turpin Walkinshaw, b. 11 Jan 1854, Mile End London Middlesex, d. Abt. Mar 1897, Whitechapel London.