My Genealogy Home Page:Information about HIRAM ANNIS
Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals | |Sources
HIRAM ANNIS (b. 1824, d. September 21, 1894)HIRAM ANNIS (son of JOSEPH ANNIS and ANNA)1 was born 1824 in Clarendon, Orleans County, New York1, and died September 21, 1894 in Beechville, Allegan County, Michigan1.He married ELIZABETH J. KENDALL on November 18, 1844 in Trowbridge, Allegan County, Michigan1, daughter of JAMES KENDALL.
Notes for HIRAM ANNIS:
[Brøderbund WFT Vol. 5, Ed. 1, Tree #0090, Date of Import: Sep 25, 1998]
Hiram arrived in Allegan county in 1836 with his widowed mother.He served as a constable for
Trowbridge Township in the following years: 1848, 1851, 1853, 1854, 1855 and
From the "Indigent Soldiers' and Sailors Burial Report*Allegan County":
Hiram Annis died September 21, 1894 at Beechville. Burial
took place on September 24, at Trowbridge.He was a Pvt.
in Co. M of the 8th Michigan Cav.He lived with his son
Hiram in Allegan.Owned a lot in Trowbridge where his
wife is also buried.
From the "Michigan Pioneer & Historical" Collection Volume 27, page 290:
"One of the first boats to navigate our beautiful Kalamazoo river was the
"Pioneer," owned by Milo Winslow (who was drowned in Lake Michigan), and was
built by Joseph Bush, a pioneer of Allegan.Captain James Fritz commanded this
boat.Amos P. Bush and his brother, Horace, built two boats at Kalamazoo, the
"Tip" in 1837-38, and the "Droop" in 1840-41.They were born shipbuilders,
their father, Jonathan Bush and his brother, Moses, of Hartford, Conn., having
served as shipbuilders for the government during the revolution, and having
built the boats used by Washington to cross the Delaware, at Trenton, and U.S.
ship, "Constitution," that served in the Tripoli war.Philo Van Keuren
commanded the "Tip" and Jacob Semon and Gil Blas Wilcox, now of Trowbridge the
"Droop."Alonzo Wilcox, Wm. A. Knapp, HIRAM ANNIS, Walter Billings, Jedothan
Morse, Benjamin Dyer and Henry Allet could tell you all about the vicissitudes
of river service on the Kalamazoo.The "Great Western" also was built in 1838,
by Captain Zadoc Huggins, now living in Monterey, and the "C.C. Trowbridge"
about the same time by Captain George S. Porter.
These boats were built for carrying freight between Allegan and Neward
(now Saugatuck).The down freight was principally flour manufactured in
Kalamazoo and taken to Allegan by teams.The up freight was general
merchandise.The round trip was made in three or four days.The boats carried
a sail and a fair west wind to commence with would greatly facilitate the
return trip.The had labor came in poling the boats and cargoes up the river.
The poles used were from 16 to 20 feet long with a heavy steel pointed iron
socket at the lower end weighing from 10 to 15 pounds.
From the "Pioneer and Historical Collections"Volume 3, page 279 & 280:
"The settlement of Allegan began in 1834.In 1833 Elisha Ely of
Rochester, N.Y., who was one of the first settlers of that city, prospected in
this region and purchased land for a company call the Boston company, on the
Kalamazoo river at the point of the site of the present village of Allegan.
Among the members of the company were Sam. Hubbard, E. Monroe, and P. Cutler of
Boston, and C.C. Trowbridge of Detroit.The company proposed to build mills on
the river for manufacturing pine and other lumber, and to inaugurate as soon as
possible all the kinds of business which should lay the foundations of a city
which they fondly hoped to see rise in the valley and on the hills.The spot
seemed favorable.It was on the border of a pine forest that stretched away to
the west; in other directions were other kinds of valuable timber and good
farming lands.Here was a good water power and a navigable river on which they
could float their products to a great lake and to all the world to which it led
out.In the spring of 1834 Mr. Ely came on from Rochester with a little
company consisting of Leander S. Prouty, wife and year-and-a-half old boy Andy,
J. Pomeroy who was to be foreman of the work to be undertaken, and J. Hoyt.
Mr. Prouty tells of their having the usual experience pioneers had in those
days in coming from Detroit to Kalamazoo, getting stuck now and then in the
mud, and once or twice capsizing in it.Arrived at the port of Pine Creek, on
the Kalamazoo, Mr. Ely bought lumber with which to build a shanty when they
should arrive at their journey's end, and rafts were made of it upon which
their goods were loaded.E. Sherwood piloted one of the rafts, but Mr. Prouty,
having been a sailor on Lake Ontario, knowing the current of any river like a
fish, and "born to command," as says, took the other raft, placed his family
and goods on it, and refused to have any pilot but himself.At the mouth of
Schnable brook Sherwood's raft ran aground, and some of the freight was shaken
into the water, Mr. Prouty, by the exercise of his authority, compelling
Pomeroy to hold on to a barrel of pork and save it as he valued his his.While
the men were righting up the raft, Mrs. Prouty and her child went ashore, and
some Indians meeting them and not knowing from whence they came, were
astonished and imagined that some angels had come down.
Arriving at the future home of Allegan, the party put up a shanty on the
spot nearly opposity the present Chaffee house, Wallace Crittenden, who came
with them from Pine creek, driving the first nail, and making the first echoes
of the hammer in the woods.But they were not the first whites that camped on
the spot.Lucius Barnes of Wayland, informed me that fifty-one years ago last
February, while on his way from Rabbit river, where he was in the employ of the
fur trader, L. Campau, to his father's house on Gull prairie, he camped one
night on the spot where now stands the Allegan house.It was the 6th of June
when the emigrants arrived.They immediately cleared an acre of land, borrowed
a plow of Abijah Chichester of Otsego, not having yet fished up their own that
went to the bottom of the river from the raft, and put in potatoes and the
seeds of vegetables, from which they harvested a supply for winter.Mr. Prouty
tells me that on the peninsula were elevations of ground that resembled garden
vegetable beds, with large trees on them.In the course of the summer they put
up two log houses, one near the Allegan house site for a boarding house, the
other a few rods above for Mr. Prouty.They had to roll up the logs to their
places with oxen.He and his wife had been engaged by Mr. Ely for one year,
for work and keeping boarders, at the moderate price of $12.50 and $5
respectively, per month.Mr. Prouty proving to be a more natural man for
foreman than Pomeroy, was given his place.They were in his employ fifteen
months, and then moved on to their in Trowbridge, where they still reside.
Alex. L. Ely, a son of E. Ely, came on in the fall.On the 17th of October was
received another addition, in the birth of Jeanette E. Prouty.As there was no
other family or woman in the little clearing, Mrs. Prouty was sojourning at the
house of Eber Sherwood in Otsego at the time when the child was born.Mr. Ely
afterward gave a lot of land to this little first white daughter of the Allegan
wilderness, in honor of her being the first born.
In the spring of 1835 Horace Wilson and wife came, also a Mr. Keep and
wife, who kept the boarding house awhile, but did not become permanent
settlers.Soon after came Joseph Fisk and wife, and during the year H. Sabin,
Ira Chaffee, Elias Streeter with his boys, the present J.B., T.E., and A.L.
Streeter, B. Eager, L. Fish, D. Doane Davis, P.N. Higinbotham, J. WEARE, Sen.,
John Askins, B. and J. Colburn, H. and E.D. Ely, W.C., W.B. and T.C. Jenner,
G.H. and E.S. Baker, E. Parkhurst, N. Abbott, J.H. Swezey, E. Moody, A.W.
Beals, W. Jones, Feek, A.S. and C. Weeks, Z.L. Griswold, J.W. Bond, J. Dawson,
L. Huddleston.In this year was born the first boy, and second child of the
settlement, Jos. Allegan Fisk, to Mr. and Mrs. Jos. Fisk.He received the last
christian name at the request of Mr. Ely.The boy lived, however, not quite
In 1836, there were many arrivals, among whom the names of the following
persons have been learned: J. Peabody, D.A. McMartin, O.D. Goodrich, A.
Rossman, J.B. and L. Bailey, S. Marsh, D. Ammerman, W.A. Knapp, E. Loomis,
John, S.F., F.J., A. and P.B. Littlejohn, Leech, J. Higgins, W. Porter, W.
Finn, W. Field, John J. Jones, formerly postmaster, T., A. and N.B. West, P.
Leonard, W.H. Brown, W. Allen, E.G. Bingham, M. Winslow, G. McCoy, H.K. Clarke,
J.P. Austin, D. Emerson, E.C. Southworth, H. Bassitt, J. Stone, C. Field, A.
Mann, L. Wilcox, E. and W.R. Dickinson, G. and C. Hollister, G. Kennard, H.H.
and Z. Booth, P., W.S. and Dan D. Davis, J.R. Kellogg, H. Hoaxie, J.L. Shearer,
D.B. Stout, B. Streeter, O. Fisk, H. ANNIS, B. Atkins, J. Torrey, A. Johannot,
A. Fuller, J. Billings, J. Bush, C. Higinbotham, W. Pullen, E. Moody, J. Cook,
Reynolds, G.Y. Warner, Ellis, C. and J.J. Miner, A. and P. Chaffee, T.M.
Russell, G. Jewitt, G. Nelson.There were estimated to be 500 people in the
town in November of this year."
Note - on page 281 it says, "a considerable number of the earliest settlers
were from Rochester, NY and vicinity".Also, in 1837 a J. WEARE is among the
From Wills and Estates Records of Probate Court, Allegan County Michigan,
File #1007 Hiram Annis of Trowbridge petitioned the court on June 23, 1873 that
Hannibal Hart be appointed the guardian of his and his deceased wifes children.
The children named were: Kenneth age 18, John 16, Albert 13, Adelia 12, Hiram
9, and Minnie 3.
From the Indigent Soldier' & Sailors Burial Report for Allegan County, Michigan: "Hiram Annis died on September 21, 1894 at Beechville.Burial was September 24 at Trowbridge.He was a Pvt. in Co. M in the 8th Michigan Cav.The 8th Michigan Cavalry was mustered for duty on May 2, 1863 at Mt. Clemens.The regiment left the state in May of 1863 for Tenessee and was mustered out September 22, 1865 at Nashville.They returned to Jackson, Michigan on September28, 1865.He lived with his son Hiram in Allegan.Owned a burial lot in Trowbridge where his wife is also buried."
In the 1870 Census of Allegan County, Trowbridge Township, the Hiram & Eliza Annis household included:Lewis 16, John 13, Henrietta 18, Albert 11, Adelia 9, Hiram Jr. 6, and Minnie C. 7 months.
More About HIRAM ANNIS:
Burial: September 24, 1894, Trowbridge, Allegan County.1
More About HIRAM ANNIS and ELIZABETH J. KENDALL:
Marriage: November 18, 1844, Trowbridge, Allegan County, Michigan.1
Children of HIRAM ANNIS and ELIZABETH J. KENDALL are:
- +JOSEPH ALEXANDER ANNIS, b. November 03, 1846, Newark, Allegan, Michigan1, d. May 15, 1913, Mancelona Vill., Antrim County, Michigan1.