The Kenneth W. Vick of Lancaster, S.C.:Information about George Washington Mahaffey
Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals | |Sources
George Washington Mahaffey (b. December 11, 1847, d. September 29, 1901)George Washington Mahaffey (son of Daniel Tyre Jr. Mahaffey and Mary " Polly " Brooks) was born December 11, 1847 in Kershaw County, S.C., and died September 29, 1901 in Lancaster, S.C..He married Margaret Elizabeth Jane "Maggie"Barton on January 25, 1872.
Notes for George Washington Mahaffey:
George Washington /4 Mehaffey [ Daniel Tyre /3, Daniel Tyre /2, Oliver /1 was born 12/11/1847. George died 9/29/1901 at 53 years of age. From " The Lancaster Ledger " dated October 2, 1901
[ Copied for Mr. Jim Mahaffey by Nell Thomason, June 24, 1974.
Death of Mr. George W. Mehaffey
Mr. George w. Mehaffey died at his home at this place on Sunday last, after a protracted illness. Mr. Mehaffey was 53 years of age and leaves surviving him his wife and 6 children, all grown. He was a member of Newhope Baptist Church and was a man esteemed for his sterling qualities and upright principles. Up to a few years ago he farmed very successfully a few miles west of town. The past year or so he has been employed at the cotton mill. His remains were interred Monday at Douglas Church. To his bereaved family we extend our heartfelt sympathy. A good citizen a kind husband and a devoted father has gone to his reward.
His body was interred 9/30/1901 Douglas Presbyterian Church, Lancaster, S.C..James Wylie & Elizabeth Anne Mahaffey ( Phillips ) had a tombstone made and placed on the grave around 1966.
He married Margaret Elizabeth Jane "Maggie" Barton 1/25/1872. Margaret was born 1/8/1853. Margaret was the daughter of D.B. "Darling" Barton and Ella Jane Caskey.Margaret died 7/28/1927 Lancaster County, S.C., at 74 years of age. Her body was interred Douglas Presbyterian Church, Lancaster, S.C.
He attended a meeting New Hope Baptist Church. Listed in the minutes of the Mariah Baptist Associations of 1894 as having served as a delegate from New Hope Baptist Church on the Education Committee.
George Washington Mehaffey and Margaret Elizabeth Jane "Maggie" Barton had the following children:
+12i.James Wylie Mahaffey was born 1/27/1875
+13ii.Henry William Mahaffey was born 2/20/1878
+14iii.Franklin Furman Mahaffey was born 11/19/1879
+15iv.Daniel Tyre Mahaffey was born 3/12/1882
+16v.Darling Belk Mehaffey was born 3/14/1882
+17vi.Thomas Jefferson Mehaffey was born 7/9/1884
+18vii.Lucy Jane Mehaffey was born 7/9/1884
More About George Washington Mahaffey:
Burial: Burried at Douglas Presbyterian Church, Lancaster, S.C..
More About George Washington Mahaffey and Margaret Elizabeth Jane "Maggie"Barton:
Marriage: January 25, 1872
Children of George Washington Mahaffey and Margaret Elizabeth Jane "Maggie"Barton are:
- +James Wylie Mahaffey, b. January 27, 1875, Lancaster Co. ( Ervin Farm Area ), d. August 10, 1983, Columbia, S.C..
- +Henry William Mahaffey, b. February 20, 1878, Kershaw County, d. August 11, 1964, Lancaster County, S.C..
- +Franklin Furman Mahaffey, b. November 19, 1879, d. June 19, 1945, Lancaster County, S.C..
- +Daniel Tyre Mahaffey, b. March 12, 1882, Lancaster County, S.C., d. October 13, 1952, Lancaster County, S.C.---Burried Lancaster Memorial Cemetary.
- +Darling Belk Mehaffey, b. March 14, 1882, d. February 14, 1967, Hillsborough, N.C.---Burried in Hillsborough.
- +Thomas Jefferson Mahaffey, b. July 09, 1884, d. October 24, 1963, Lancaster County, S.C.---Burried at Douglas Presbyterian Church Cemetary.
- +Lucy Jane Mahaffey, b. July 09, 1884, Lancaster County, d. June 27, 1962, Pageland, Chesterfield County, S.C.---Burried at High Point Church.