The Waggle, Angelo, Lewis, Wood,Taylor, Cowden, Genealogy :Information about John HUGGINS
Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals | |Sources
John HUGGINS (b. 1747, d. 1823)John HUGGINS (son of "Grandpa" HUGGINS and "Grandma" (HUGGINS)) was born 1747 in Pennsylvania, and died 1823 in Rutherford County, Tennessee.He married Mary (HUGGINS) on Abt. 1782.
Notes for John HUGGINS:
Military: 1775, Revolutionary War. On June 26, 1775 John Huggins and three brothers, James, Andrew & William enlisted in Captain Caldwell's Company of Militia at Ninety Six, South Carolina.James Huggins ans AndrewHuggins were both killed in the Revolutiionary War.Source: Payroll records of Captain Caldwell's South Carolina Militia, Library No. 7266 & S55, Vol 2, pages 9 and 11 show that John Huggins was born in Pennsylvania and was 26 years old.
John Huggins and three brothers, James, Andrew & William served in Colonel Thompson's South Carolina 3rd Regiment, Company of Rangers.Source: South Carolina Historical and Genealogical Magazine, Vol 2, pages 175 and 176.
1778, Revolutionary War.John Huggins was discharged from the 3rd Regiment Company of Rangers, commanded by Colonel Thompson at Charlston, SC on June 16, 1778: South Carolina Archives #AA3847
John Huggins was discharged as a private from Captain William Freeman's South Carolina Company of Militia on April 16, 1778 and received mustering out pay of thirty seven pounds, two shillings and four pence. Source: South Carolina Archives #AA3847.
Bounty Land Grant: On September 3, 1787, John Huggins as heir and next of kin, received a bounty land grant of 200 acres for his brother, Andrew, who was killed in the Revolutionary War. situated in District Ninety Six, on Twelve Mile River above the ancient boundry line to the North West on land laid out, all other sides on vacant land.Source: South Carolina Archives, Grant Book 2, Bounty Grant 1, Page 469
Land Grant Sale: On July 5, 1802, John Huggins sold land located on Twelve Mile Creek in South Carolina to William Evett.Source: Columbia, South Carolina Department of Archives and History, Anderson County Deeds Vol G, page 112 & 113, C943.
Moved to Tennessee:Records of Indian Agent Jonathan Meigs dated from July 29, 1801 to October 28, 1804 at Southwest Point (now Kingston, Tennessee) show passes issued to travelers desiring to go through, settle in, or trade in Cherokee County, Tennessee, Listed were John Huggins, William (son of John) and Robert (brother of John)
Pension:Records from the National Archives show that on June 1, 1818, John Huggins applied for a pension for service in the Revolutionary War.The application shows that John's wife, Mary (Polly) and three children were living at home, Priscilla, age 15, James age 12, and Isabella, age 10.
BIOGRAPHY: Captain and Mrs Amariah Louis Huggins:Some of their Ancestors, Descendants and Relatives, Researched by Bernice Hay Huggins, Compiled and Edited by Nancy Elizabeth Huggins, Niece of Bernice Hay Huggins. Published by Bernice Hay Huggins, 1992. Library of Congress Cataloging Number 91-077069
SOURCE:Much information came from Delroy (Del) Edward Huggins.
703 East Walnut
More About John HUGGINS and Mary (HUGGINS):
Marriage: Abt. 1782
Children of John HUGGINS and Mary (HUGGINS) are:
- William Huggins, b. 1784, South Carolina, d. date unknown.
- Sarah Huggins, b. Abt. 1786, Pendleton District, Anderson County, North Carolina, d. date unknown.
- John Huggins, Jr, b. 1790, Pendleton District, Anderson County, North Carolina, d. date unknown.
- Johathan Huggins, b. July 24, 1793, Pendleton District, Anderson County, North Carolina, d. date unknown.
- Elizabeth Huggins, b. Abt. 1795, Pendleton District, Anderson County, North Carolina, d. date unknown.
- Robert D. Huggins, b. Abt. 1796, Pendleton District, Anderson County, North Carolina, d. date unknown.
- Mary Ann Huggins, b. Abt. 1799, Pendleton District, Anderson County, North Carolina, d. date unknown.
- Priscilla Huggins, b. Abt. 1806, Davidson County, Tennessee, d. date unknown.
- +James HUGGINS, b. Abt. 1810, Davidson County, Tennessee, d. 1848, Tennessee.
- Isabella Huggins, b. 1811, Davidson County, Tennessee, d. date unknown.