West Family Tree of Norman, Oklahoma:Information about Joseph Wise
Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals | |Sources
Joseph Wise (b. May 17, 1740, d. May 13, 1805)Joseph Wise (son of James Wise and Rebecca Massie) was born May 17, 1740 in Brunswick County, Virginia, and died May 13, 1805 in Oglethorpe, Georgia.He married Margaret Patton on Abt. 1768 in Virginia, daughter of Jacob Patton and Sarah Jane Pickrell.
Notes for Joseph Wise:
Joseph Wise, along with his wife, Margaret and their four children, loaded their possessions into their carts and left Wayne County, North Carolina -- - headed towards Georgia to make their home on the edge of the wilderness.On October 10, 1774, Joseph received 100 acres of land on Long Creek in the fertile uplands of Wilkes County(see below); where they lived on a large plantation near the village of Dartmouth, Georgia; later called Petersburg.The original home is still standing and by the road was an old mulberry tree on which Joseph raised silk worms and shipped them to England.In 1970, the tree was pushed over by a bulldozer to widen the road (Trailing Our Ancestors, by Lois McMichael; pg 376-377).
Joseph Wise, from North Carolina, with wife, 2 sons and 2 daughters aged 1 -6 granted 100 acres on Long Creek at Dry Fork.....this land was a portion of Indian Land in Georgia, 1775 that the Cherokee and Creek Indians used to pay their extensive debts to British traders.
Oglethorpe Co., Georgia, 1804
Will of Joseph Wise
Sons: Patton Wise, 230 acres
Jacob Wise, 140 acres
John Wise, 202 acres
Joel Wise, 240 acres
Barney Wise, 176 acres
Daughter: Susy Martin Wise, 100 acres
My will is that at the death of Margaret Wise the land and plantation which I have given to her, be immediately given to my son Sherwood Wise and the remaining part of my estate be equally divided among my last mentioned five children, Selah Jones Wise, Obedience Arthur, Salley Wise, Anny Wise, Peggy Wise.
I, Joseph Wise, set my hand the eight of January 1804.
More About Joseph Wise:
Military service: Rev. Soldier; served under Elijah Clark.
Property: 1775, Grantee of Indian Lands in Georgia.
Will: January 08, 1804, Oglethorpe, Georgia.
More About Joseph Wise and Margaret Patton:
Marriage: Abt. 1768, Virginia.
Children of Joseph Wise and Margaret Patton are:
- Annie Wise, d. date unknown.
- Obedience Wise, d. date unknown.
- Sally Wise, d. date unknown.
- +Selah Wise, d. date unknown.
- Suzy Wise, d. date unknown.
- +Patton Wise, b. Abt. 1769, Wayne County, North Carolina, d. 1828, Jasper County, Georgia.
- +Jacob Wise, b. Abt. 1771, Oglethorpe County, Georgia, d. August 02, 1826, Butts County, Georgia.
- +John Wise, b. Abt. 1778, Oglethorpe County, Georgia, d. January 13, 1846, Hinds County Mississippi.
- Barney Wise, b. Abt. 1780, Wilkes County, Georgia, d. date unknown.
- Peggy Wise, b. Aft. 1781, d. date unknown.
- +Joel Wise, b. Abt. 1784, Wayne County, North Carolina, d. November 05, 1832, Jasper County, Georgia.
- Sherwood Wise, b. July 04, 1796, d. January 06, 1845.