The Karen T. Zbierski Family Tree:Information about Pierre Thibodeau
Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals | |Sources
Pierre Thibodeau (b. 1631, d. December 26, 1704)Pierre Thibodeau (son of Mathurin Rhibauda Thibodeau and Francoise Marie Dolbeau)2171, 2172, 2173, 2174, 2175 was born 1631 in Marans, Saintonge, (now Charente-Maritime), France2176, and died December 26, 1704 in Port Royal,Acadia, N.S.2177.He married Jeanne Theriault/Theriot/Therriot/Terriau on 1660 in St-Jean Baptiste de Port Royal, Acadia2178, 2179, daughter of Jean Theriault/Theriot/Therriot/Terriau and Perrine Beau.
Notes for Pierre Thibodeau:
Pierre Thibeaubeau was born in 1631 in France. He was from Martaize', parish of the domain of Aulnay, in Loudunais, Haut-Poitou, province of Vienne or from Saint Etienne de Marans, near the famous port of La Rochelle in the west of France. He could also have come from St-Jacques les Moutiers les Mauxfaits, in the Vendee region.
On March 25, 1654, Emmanuel Le Borgne de Belle-Isle, chartered a ship, the Chateaufort, which is armed for war, with an other merchant of La Rochelle, Sieur Guibeau, and ordered by this last. Pierre has been committed by Le Borgne as a stable settler and was under contract for three years at a wage of 100 livres per year (this information is contained in the "Catalogue des Immigrants" by Marcel Trudel). They arrived in Acadia at the end of May 1654. Le Borgne, main creditor of Charles d'Aulnay, one of the main colonizers of the Acadia and deceased for two years, seizes several establishments and takes possession the same year, Port Royal.
Pierre acquires in 1654, a large land concession on the ricer du Dauphin, near Port Royal. The site wars the name of Pre' Ronde or Village des Thibeaudeau. It is situated to ten kilometers of the mouthpiece of the river, in the heart of the valley of Port Royal. The site is known today as Round Hill, Nova Scotia.
He built a grist mill on his marshland farm and a sawmill on his brookside holdings. There he soon became prosperous.
In 1659, Pierre married Jeanne Terriot born in 1644 and the daughter of Jehan and Perrine Reau of Port Royal, Acadia. Jehanne's father was born in 1601in Martaize' France. In 1635 he married and in 1637 arrived in Acadia. Their son Pierre, brother of Jehanne, is behind the establishment of Grand Pre (St-Charles les Mines et St-Joseph de la riviere aux Canards).
The Port Royal census of 1671 lists Pierre as a ploughsman, but we also know he was a merchant of furs, colonizer, miller, and sawyer.It also states that he had 12 head of cattle and 11 sheep.Pierre moved his family from Port Royal to Pree Ronde (Round Hill) which was upstream on the Port Royal River.
Pierre obtained from the Governor of the Nouvelle France, Mr de Frontenac, on June 20, 1695, a concession of the domain of Kaouaskagouche (Vraskagache), between Mont Desert and Majois in Acadia (today in the state of Maine, near Bangor). This territory is situated alongside the river kennebec and measures 2 leagues (8 km) of depth and 1 league (2 km) of each side of the river, including islands.
In 1698, Pierre Thibodaux, then 67 years old and known as the miller of Pree Ronde, decided to found a new colony in the area of Chipoudy (today Riverside Albert, New Brunswick) at the mouth of that very dangerous Bay of Fundy, then called Baie Francaise. That was not a small trip, nor a small enterprise.He left aboard a boat with his sons, Pierre, Jean, Antoine, and Micheal, and neighboring colonistsGuillaume Blanchard and two of his sons, then settled on the Petitcodiac. They found a beautiful place near the water, and with the permission of Mr. de la Vallieres, the governor, and his relative, Claude-Sebastien de Villieu, who was administrator of these regions, he went to clear the land and decided to build a church.Today that site is known as Church Creek.In 1699, Pierre bought a saw mill in Boston. he installs it in 1700 in Chipoudy. The concession that it claims in there measures 2.5 km each side of the river and 10 km in depth. A legal dispute arose which threatened his plan when Claude-Sebastien de Villieu, asserted that the domains claimed by Thibaudeau and Blanchard formed part of the fief belonging to his father-in-law, Michel Leneuf de la Vallieres (the elder). Difficulties with the lord of Beaubassin, the case was referred to Paris, but this did not stop Pierre Thibaudeau from carrying on with the task of beginning a settlement.The final verdict did not reach Acadia until after the pioneer's death.A decree of the conseil d'Etat dated June 2, 1705, defining more precisely that of March 20, 1703, confirmed La Valliere's claims.The dream of a seigneurty at Chipoudy was dispelled. Nevertheless, the pioneers retained possession of their "lands and inheritances," and the settlement was able to develop: the 1706 census listed 55 persons at Chipoudy, and that of 1752 listed 359.
Pierre and Jeanne had at least eighteen children and 159 Grandchildren. Many found their way to Louisiana.
A girl names Marie would be born in 1660. The census of 1671 does not mention her. She has to be deceased before this date.
Another girl names Marie (known as l'ainee) is born in 1661, she marries in 1680 in Port Royal, to antoin Landry, son of Rene and Marie Bernard.
In 1662, another girl comes to the world, also names Marie (la cadette). She marries Pierre Lejeune dit Briard in 1680 in Port Royal.
In 1664 Marie Jeanne (la benjamine) is born. She marries Charles Robichaud, son of Etienne and Francoise Boudrto, in Port Royal in 1686.
Anne Marie (l'ainee) is born in 1665. She marries Claude Boudrot, son of Michel and Micheline Aucoin, in Grand Pre in 1682.
Catherine Marie is born in 1667. She marries Claude Lndry, son of Rene and Marie Bernard in 1684 in Grand Pre.
Pierre (l'ainee), is born in 1670, marries in 1689, Marie Anne Bourg, daughter of Jehan and Marguerite Martin.
Jeanne is born in 1672. She marries in 1686 in Port Royal, Sieur Mathieu Des Goutins, naval commissary at Port Royal and civila administrator. Their grandson, the abbot Francois Bailley de Messein is bory in Varennes in Nouvelle France in 1740. Orderly priest in Quebec in 1767, he covers during several years after the deportation all the ancient Acadia so as to provide to dispersed residents, religious services.
Jean Pierre is born in 1673 and died on December 4, 1742 in St Charles les Mines. He married in Port Royal on February 17, 1703, Marguerite Hebert, daughter of Emmanuel and Andre Brun..
Antoine is born in 1674. He married Marie Prejean, daughter of Jean and Andre Savoye on October 8, 1703 in Port Royal.
In 1676 Pierre (le cadet) is born. He marries in Port Royal in 1698 to Marie Daigre, daughter of Olivier and Marie Gaudet and on November 25, 1706 Anne Marie Magdeleine Aucoin, daughter of Martin and Marie Gaudet.
Michel is born in 1678 and died in November 1734 in Port Royal. He married in Port Royal on November 13, 1704, Agnes Dugas, daughter of Claude and Francoise Bourgeois.
Cecile is born in 1680. She married Emmanuel Le Borgne de Belle Isle, son Alexandre and Marie St Etienne de Latour, in 1697 in Port Royal.
Anne Marie Louise (Anne Marie la cadette) is born in 1682. She marries Charles d'Amour de Louviere, son of Mathieu d'Amour de Freneuse and Marie Marsolet, in 1698 in Port Royal.
Catherine Josephte is born in 1686. She marries Guillaume Bourgeois, son of Germain and Magdeleine Belliveau, on February 17, 1705 in Port Royal.
Claude is born in 1684 and marries on November 5, 1709 in Port Royal, Elisabeth Comeau, daughter of Pierre and Jeanne Bourg.
Charles, born in 1694 and died on November 26, 1752 in Port Lajoie, Isle St Jean, marries in Port Royal, on December 19, 1715, Francoise Comeau, the sister of Elisabeth.
A boy named Joseph would be born in 1691. The census of 1693 does not mention him. He could have died before this date.
Pierre died on December 26, 1704 at his home in Port Royal, Acadia. Pierre's funeral records states: "Citizen and miller at the top of the Port Royal River and at the place called Pree' Rounde.he received the Last Sacraments and was buried the 27th of the said month of this year (December 1704), in the cemetary of this parish, with ordinary ceremonies.It was signed by padre Justin Durand, recollect and cure' of Port Royal."His wife Jehanne Terriau, died 22 years later on December 8, 1726.Michel and Antoine, their sons, stayed at the grave until the day after her death, with the cure' of Breslay.One more time, the entire colony of Pree' Ronde had the burden of transporting the body to Port Royal in snow and cold of December, and one can imagine the emotion at the long family funeral procession.
In 1981, a monument was erected by the Nova Scotia Museum director J.L. Martin, who furnished the plaque, and by the joing efforts of the Historical Association of Annapolis Royal,and La Societe Historique Acadienne de la Baie Sainte-Marie, honoring our ancestor Pierre Thibodeau.
For the most part members of the 1st and 2nd generations resided in the Minas Basin in the vicinity of Grand Pre until the deportation by the English in 1755.Some members of the 2nd generation were deported to Massachusetts and later found their way backto New Brunswick. It was the children and grandchildren of four of Pierre and Jehanne's seven sons, Pierre L'Aine, Pierre LeJeune, Michel, and Charles, who found their way to Louisiana, eventually settling in the Bayou LaFourche area and at the Opelousas and Attakapas Posts.Still others fled to the woods to New Brunswick where they hid for years.
SOURCE:Dictionary of Canadian Biography; PUB: University of Toronto Press and Maurice Thibaudeau's web site of Thibodeau's.
More About Pierre Thibodeau:
Burial: December 27, 1704, Port Royal Acadia, Nova Scotia, Canada.2179
Emigrated: 1658, from Poitou, France.2179
Occupation: Laboureur, meunier, colonisateur.2179
More About Pierre Thibodeau and Jeanne Theriault/Theriot/Therriot/Terriau:
Marriage 1: 1660, St-Jean Baptiste de Port Royal, Acadia.2180, 2181
Marriage 2: 1672, Port Royal, Acadia, New France.2182, 2183, 2184
Children of Pierre Thibodeau and Jeanne Theriault/Theriot/Therriot/Terriau are:
- +Jean Pierre Thibodeau, b. 1674, Riviere Aux Canards, Acadia2185, d. December 9, 1746, St. Charles les Mines, NS, Acadia, Canada2185.