NORMENT-WARD-BEALL of VA, DC, MD, AR, FL
Updated August 8, 2014
|About Our Family Research
Ancestry.com, having taken over this site and MyFamily.com, has simply discontinued them both, so they can no longer be updated. Please contact me for information sharing.
Find me on Facebook as Diane.Bender.5 and my Norment blog there at https://www.facebook.com/groups/147709011690/
and this site: http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/31865065/
This NORMENT family is from King and Queen and Caroline Counties in VA, settling in Reedy Mill before 1720. It is said they were Scotch Covenanters who came to America for religious freedom and I am seeking proof for this. In 1909 Clarence and Harry NORMENT, sons of Samuel (b 1821, son of William), attended a Scottish pride dinner.
These families lived primarily in DC, Carroll Co., Montgomery Co., Prince George's Co., Baltimore City, MD, Princeton and Little Rock, AR, and Orlando, FL. They were successful doctors, lawyers, businessmen, politicians, merchants, real estate developers & bankers.
Samuel NORMENT moved to Washington DC about 1846 and married a daughter of Ulysses WARD, a prominent merchant, publisher and minister. Richard moved to Princeton, AR before 1850 and then to DC about 1852 and married another daughter of Ulysses, Margaret. Ulysses' parents, John WARD and Mary Ann Eustatia FORBES were born in London, England, and came to the United States in 1770. Their first son, George, was born in Prince George's Co., MD in 1773. Their son Ulysses was born near Rockville, Montgomery Co., MD in 1792. He married Susan Verlinda BEALL, daughter of James & Mary, in Washington, DC in 1816. Their daughter Mary Ellen married Samuel NORMENT and Margaret Anna married his brother Richard Baxter NORMENT.
The Library of Congress has 62 of James Thomas WARD's diaries in their collection.
William and Polly (HARRIS) NORMENT are the parents of Samuel, Richard, Wilbur and their sisters Sarah GREY, Susan WINFIELD, Ellen KIMBROUGH, Lucy JONES, Jane Eliza McKENZIE THACH, and Mariah A. William was convicted of raping a daughter in 1844 in Caroline Co. VA and served 18 years. The course of his prosecution and punishment are outlined in the 1846 petition transcribed on this site. We are still searching for the trial records in Louisa and Hanover counties, VA. Whatever his faults, he certainly produced generations of descendants who are exceptionally brilliant, dynamic and altruistic.
Most of the daughters moved to Princeton, Dallas Co., AR in the latter part of 1850 (see Susan NORMENT's journal on this site), where they married into prominent families and moved to other areas of AR.
The biosketch of J. T. WARD, 1882, states the WARDs had resided during the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries in Yorkshire, England, being farmers by occupation, and about the beginning of the eighteenth century they removed to London.
The BEALL line is shown in various places with numerous errors. It can be traced using deeds to the property Godfather's Gift, which I have transcribed and posted.
The HARRIS family extends to Jamestown planters.
I hope you enjoy this site and the decades of dedicated research it represents.
- Dr. Ennor Virginia NORMENT, 1917 (45 KB)
Virginia was d/o Dr. Richard Baxter & Jennie (STARR) NORMENT. She was b 1903 Baltimore, became a physician, but died unmarried at age 40. She was exiled by family to Albany NY for her habit of wearing men's clothing.
- John Edwin NORMENT, 1917 (38 KB)
Son of Dr. Richard Baxter & Jennie (STARR) NORMENT. Like many in the family, he became a doctor. In 1930 he was living in Old Hickory, TN. In 1946-52 he was living in Clinton, IA, after release from service in WWII.
- 1862 Battle of Shiloh mass grave (116 KB)
This photo of the Confederate mass grave at Shiloh, TN was taken by Rod Powell. The young lady shows about where Wilbur NORMENT was killed on Apr 6. See Wilbur's letters posted on this site.
- Louis Tiffany NORMENT as a baby, 1890 (70 KB)
Son of Dr. Richard Baxter & Jennie (STARR) NORMENT. He became an accountant in Baltimore, married Sadie Mae HENRY.
- Louis Tiffany NORMENT as a newborn, 1889 (45 KB)
Louis, s/o Dr. Richard Baxter & Jennie (STARR) NORMENT. Taken 1889 Baltimore MD.
- Clarence F. NORMENT cartoon 1905 (49 KB)
Clarence was represented in a cartoon in the Washington Post on 19 Jan 1905 at a Bankers' Banquet in Washington, DC. Email me for the full cartoon, which includes the other major bankers.
- Richard Baxter NORMENT, III, 1917, in uniform (44 KB)
Richard was s/o Dr. Richard Baxter & Jennie (STARR) NORMENT. He became a doctor and practiced in Hagerstown MD.
- John & Clarence ALDEN, sons of Ethel NORMENT (34 KB)
John William "Jack" Jr. & Clarence Norment ALDEN, sons of Ethel NORMENT, d/o Clarence. c1909.
- Clarence F. NORMENT (1856-1937) photo 1905 (65 KB)
A photo and short bio of Clarence appeared in the Apr 21, 1905, Washington Post.
- Richard Baxter NORMENT III, obit photo, 1953 (81 KB)
Richard died in 1953 at age 61. He was a physician in Hagerstown, Washington Co., MD.
- Dr. Richard Baxter NORMENT, II, 1883 (58 KB)
Dr. Richard Baxter NORMENT II was son of Richard Baxter NORMENT Sr, called Judge Norment (email me for picture). He was b in DC 1858, lived in Westminster MD & Orlando FL.
- Samuel NORMENT, 1889 (53 KB)
Woodcut from the Washington Post biosketch, Feb 17, 1889. He was a son of William & Polly (HARRIS) NORMENT
- Richard Baxter NORMENT IV (1921-1987) (17 KB)
Richard, son of Dr. Richard III, also became a doctor and practiced in Maryland. He had four children.
- Robert Theodore NORMENT, 1917 (51 KB)
Robert was b Jun 6, 1896, s/o Dr. Richard Baxter & Jennie (STARR) NORMENT. He died Jan 5, 1959 in New York City.
- Clarence F. NORMENT, I (27 KB)
Clarence Forbes Norment the first, son of Samuel and Mary Ellen (WARD) NORMENT.
- Dr. John Edwin NORMENT, c1943 WWII (11 KB)
Dr. John Edwin NORMENT was son of Dr. Richard B. Norment. He was b Jan 19, 1900 in Baltimore & moved to Old Hickory, TN & then Clinton, IA. This photo has the caption: "Dr. Norment and Cmd. Smith with fish caught at Lautoka, Fiji" from USS Arthur Middleton. He d Nov. 12, 1952 in Clinton.
- Unidentified "Rich" in Navy uniform, 1942 (33 KB)
It is signed "Rich." It was in Martha NORMENT's collection but no one knows who he was. Though he looks very much like Richard Baxter NORMENT, IV, his sister says he did not serve in the Navy but in the Army.
- Jennie STARR, wife of Dr. Richard B. NORMENT II (54 KB)
Martha Virginia was called Jennie, b 1858 Carroll Co. MD, d/o John Edwin & Martha Grizelda (CURRY) STARR. She was the wife of Dr. Richard Baxter NORMENT II.
- Ada Beall NORMENT, dau of Judge Richard (28 KB)
Photo sent to family at Easter of 1928.
- Esther NORMENT as presented to King & Queen 1923 (164 KB)
Esther BISSETT, wife of Harry NORMENT, in the photo taken when she was presented to King George & Queen Mary of England in 1923. She was an actress in 1911 but not allowed to pursue it upon her engagement to Harry.
- Clarence F. NORMENT, II (1897-1956) (24 KB)
Son of Clarence F. the first, grandson of Samuel & Mary Ellen (Ward).
- Robert Theodore NORMENT (1896-1955), 1953 (29 KB)
Robert was the son of Richard B. NORMENT II and Jennie Starr. He married Virginia BURNHAM and Elsie BIENER.
- Harry NORMENT c1940 (76 KB)
Harry NORMENT, 1878-1959, son of Samuel Norment & 2nd wife, Mamie Utermehle.
- Clarence F. NORMENT cartoon July 1906 (66 KB)
Another cartoon of Clarence F. NORMENT from the Washington Post, July 17, 1905. The article is also posted.
- Joan (NORMENT) ARSENAULT age 18 mos. (12 KB)
Daughter of Dr. Richard Baxter NORMENT III, at age 18 months. Her birthday was his "lucky day."
- MD House of Judge Richard NORMENT c1875-1882 (68 KB)
This house in Westminster, Carroll Co. MD, was the one the Judge Richard Baxter NORMENT family was living in when the 1877 Carroll Co. atlas was made, and in the 1880 census. By 1883 he was in Orlando, FL. This is a Civil War-era house with double front doors and a surviving outbuilding. It has a Maryland porch (a 2-story covered porch for sleeping in summer), which is now enclosed. There is an ancient maple in the back yard and the rear view is of a county park. Judge NORMENT's nephew Clarence Forbes NORMENT, II, also lived here while attending Western Maryland College.
- Glenwood Cem: Ethel (NORMENT) ALDEN (29 KB)
Ethel W. was d/o Clarence F. & Elizabeth (SMITH) NORMENT. Glenwood Cem, Wash. DC, Sec B: Ethel Norment Alden, July 22, 1881, January 29, 1939.
- Clarence F. NORMENT, 1910 (52 KB)
This photo appeared in the Washington Post 20 Nov 1910.
- Glenwood Cem: Miranda V. (WARD) FEINOUR (33 KB)
Miranda Virginia was d/o Ulysses & Susan Valinda (BEALL) WARD. Tombstone, Glenwood Cem., Wash. DC, Sec G: Miranda V. Feinour, wife of Dr. Thos. Feinour, A daughter of the Rev. Ulysses Ward, Born Sep. 15, 1817, Died Jan 12, 1882, Aged 64 years.
- Ellie NORMENT, 1921 (22 KB)
Ellie, dau of Samuel and Mamie (UTERMEHLE). From her 1921 U.S. passport application, m Albert BOOZ and William O. GILBERT
- Glenwood Cem: Thomas E. W. FEINOUR (29 KB)
Thomas Edward Ward FEINOUR was son of Dr. Thomas & Miranda Virginia (WARD) FEINOUR. This deteriorated tombstone in Glenwood Cem, Wash. DC, Sec G: Masonic symbol; Sacred to the memory of My beloved Husband Thomas E. W. Feinour, Died Jan 28, 1870, in the 28th year of his age. Also our only daughter, Mary N., aged 15 mos. Weep not dear friends/I am not dead/But only asleep/to wake again. [death month is JAN not JUNE]
- Mark of James BEALL, 1761 (16 KB)
The mark of James BEALL made in his 1761 will. The BEALL wills demonstrating the corrected ancestry of Susan Verlinda (BEALL), wife of Ulysses WARD, is also posted.
- Rev. James T. WARD, s/o Ulysses, c1850, full (18 KB)
Rev. James Thomas WARD (1820-1897), from a photo at McDaniel College, Westminster MD. The Library of Congress has 62 of his diaries.
- Glenwood Cem: Margaret (POLLEY) NORMENT FULLER (54 KB)
Margaret POLLEY was wife of Clarence Forbes NORMENT II. She remarried after his death to Charles Ashmead FULLER, Sr (whose first wife was Judith, d/o Clarence F. NORMENT). Tombstone, Glenwood Cem, Wash. DC, Sec B: Margaret Norment Fuller, February 25, 1897, May 4, 1989.
- Nathaniel Kimbrough JONES grave marker (106 KB)
Husband of Lucy Ann NORMENT, in a private cemetery east of Dalark, Dallas Co., AR
- Nancy NORMENT (1915-1990), age 16 (20 KB)
Nancy Lee was d/o Richard Baxter NORMENT, III, born in Hagerstown, MD.
- Glenwood Cem: Ulie (NORMENT) HURLEY (33 KB)
Mary Ulie NORMENT was d/o Samuel & Mary Ellen (WARD) NORMENT. She married Benjamin F. M. HURLEY. Tombstone, Glenwood Cem, Wash. DC, Sec B: Ulie Norment Hurley, Eldest daughter of Samuel Norment, Born Oct. 31, 1847, Died July 1, 1923.
- Lucy (NORMENT) JONES grave marker (112 KB)
Dau of William NORMENT, 2nd wife of Senator Nathaniel Kimbrough JONES. In a private cemetery east of Dalark, Dallas Co., AR.
- James Thomas WARD, c1880 (25 KB)
Lithograph of James Thomas WARD, s/o Ulysses, that appeared in "History of Western Maryland," Vol. 2, 1882, facing p 933.
- Glenwood Cem: Clarence F. NORMENT, Jr. (58 KB)
Clarence Forbes NORMENT Jr. was son of Clarence Forbes & Elizabeth (SMITH) NORMENT. Tombstone, Glenwood Cem, Wash. DC, Sec B: Clarence F. Norment Jr., April 6, 1897, June 3, 1956.
- Rev. James T. WARD, s/o Ulysses, c1870 (21 KB)
Rev. James T. Ward was at this time president of Western Maryland College, in Westminster, MD. Src: McDaniel College
- Glenwood Cem: Clarence F. NORMENT Sr. (30 KB)
Clarence Forbes was s/o Samuel & Mary Ellen (WARD) NORMENT. Tombstone, Glenwood Cem, Wash. DC, Sec B: Clarence F. Norment, June 10, 1856, March 14, 1937.
- Samuel NORMENT 1891 (91 KB)
An engraved portrait of Samuel NORMENT (1821-1891). I have an original but it also appears in "Centennial history of the city of Washington, D.C.," 1892.
- Rev. James T. WARD, s/o Ulysses, c1890 (52 KB)
Rev. James Thomas WARD was president of Western Maryland College. Src: McDaniel College, Westminster, MD
- Glenwood Cem: Elizabeth (SMITH) NORMENT (32 KB)
Elizabeth "Lizzie" SMITH was the wife of Clarence Forbes Norment Sr. Tombstone, Glenwood Cem, Wash. DC, Sec B: Elizabeth Smith Norment, January 14, 1858, August 15, 1959.
- Rev. James T. WARD, s/o Ulysses, c1870 (18 KB)
There is another photo, full length, that appears to have been taken at the same time. src: McDaniel College, Westminster, MD
- Ida Norment SMITH, 1913 (144 KB)
Ida Norment SMITH, dau of Odell Seymour SMITH and Ida NORMENT (d/o Samuel). I have many newspaper articles about her.
- Poem kept in WARD bible (14 KB)
This appears to me to be from an autograph book. I do not know the author, nor the meaning of the "8 mo. 11, '82" at the bottom, unless it is a date: Aug 11, 1882. It was written by J. T. Murray but whether it is original or not, cannot be determined.
- Junie TROTTER, dau of Lula GRAY (34 KB)
Junie TROTTER b 1879 d 1960 AR. Her mother was Lula GRAY, dau of Sarah Ellis NORMENT, dau of William. Photo from Stephen Schneider.
- Child's bible card reverse (63 KB)
This is the reverse side of the "Sober Living" card in the WARD bible.
- Louis Tiffany NORMENT (1889-1938) (75 KB)
Louis Tiffany NORMENT, an accountant, was the son of Dr. Richard Baxter & Martha Virginia (STARR) NORMENT. He was b 1889 in Carroll Co. MD and d 1938 in Baltimore City MD. His wife was Sadie May HENRY. Louis's choice of accountant as occupation was unpopular with his family. During the Depression, Louis could not find a job & the stress eventually killed him.
- Samuel NORMENT signature 1861 (6 KB)
On Apr 2, 1861, an endorsement to Pres. Lincoln of Ward Hill LAMON as DC marshal was signed by a number of prominent DC men. This is Sam NORMENT's siganture from the petition. (src: Library of Congress)
- Clarence F. NORMENT, c1930 (30 KB)
Published in "Washington, Past and Present: A History." New York. Lewis Historical Pub. Co., 1930. Vol III, pp 46-7 (bios for him and Jr. also posted).
- Richard Baxter NORMENT III (1891-1953) (38 KB)
Dr. Richard B. NORMENT, from his obituary in 1953 (made from microfilm).
- Glenwood Cem: Odell S. SMITH & Ida NORMENT (12 KB)
Ida Norment was d/o Samuel & Mary Ellen (WARD) NORMENT. She married Odell Seymour SMITH. Tombstone, Glenwood Cem, Wash. DC, Sec B: SMITH,
Odell Seymour Smith, 1863-1952, Ida Norment Smith, 1864-1923.
- Harry NORMENT, s/o Samuel, c1925 (24 KB)
Photo & bio from "Prominent Personages in the Nation's Capital," p 184, bio continued on p 312.
- Glenwood Cem: Ida (SMITH) WALTERS (26 KB)
Ida Smith was d/o Odell Seymour & Ida (NORMENT) SMITH. She married C. A. WALTERS. Tombstone, Glenwood Cem, Wash. DC, sec B: IDA SMITH WALTERS, 1890-1945. The 1930 census shows she was divorced and had a son, Frank K. S. WALTERS b c1913 DC.
- Lula GRAY, dau of Sarah Ellis NORMENT, 1874 (106 KB)
Margaret Lewis 'Lula' GRAY, dau of Sarah E. NORMENT (dau of William), with husband John R. TROTTER, a Vanderbilt College graduate in Latin.
- Margaret L. (NORMENT) THORNTON (1893-1992) (23 KB)
Dau of Howard T. K. & Lulu (WEST) NORMENT, and granddau of Judge Richard B. NORMENT (1824-c1895). Taken prob. between 1911 & 1920.
- Glenwood Cem: Ada Beall NORMENT (d/o Sam) (107 KB)
In memory of Ada Beall, daughter of Sam and Mary E. Norment, Born Jan 11, 1850, Died Nov. 7, 1855.
- Rev. James Thomas WARD family 1868 (101 KB)
rear l-r: Samuel NORMENT, Mary Ellen (WARD), son Clarence, dau Ida (in lap); Susan (BEALL) WARD; Margaret (WARD) NORMENT, wife of Richard B.; front l-r pr. John Beverly WARD; Thomas B. and Virginia A., ch of John Beverly WARD; James T. WARD; Richard B. NORMENT, husb of Margaret. Funeral of Ulysses Beall WARD, 1864
- Harry NORMENT (s/o Samuel), 1909 (52 KB)
"A Few Facts and Glimpses of the Past and Present of the Oldest Bank in the National Capital," by Clarence F. Norment. The National Bank of Washington, 1809-1909. p 16 (with the other directors) src: City Museum of Washington, DC, The Historical Society of Washington, Inc., 801 K St. NW, Washington, DC 20001 www.citymuseumdc.org
- Marie T. (NORMENT) PHILLIPS (1891-1977) (19 KB)
Marie Theresa was the dau of Howard T. K. & Lulu (WEST) NORMENT, and granddau of Judge Richard B. NORMENT (1824-1896). She m Oliver Valentine PHILLIPS, shown here with her about 1915.
- Elizabeth 'Lizzie' (Smith) Norment (94 KB)
Lizzie, wife of Clarence Norment, I, was born in Suffolk VA and lived to be 101.
- Ulysses WARD 1860 or later (34 KB)
"Growing With Washington: The Story of Our First Hundred Years, 1848-1948," Washington Gas Light Company, p 33. He served 1849-51. src: City Museum of Washington, DC, The Historical Society of Washington, Inc., 801 K St. NW, Washington, DC 20001 www.citymuseumdc.org
- PHILLIPS children (ggch of Judge Richard NORMENT) (20 KB)
Marie Louise, Arthur, Evelyn Anne, children of Oliver Valentine & Marie T. (NORMENT) PHILLIPS, abt 1930.
- Glenwood Cem: Miranda V. (WARD) FEINOUR (33 KB)
Miranda V. Feinour, wife of Dr. Thos. Feinour, A daughter of the Rev. Ulysses Ward, Born Sep. 15, 1817, Died Jan 12, 1882, Aged 64 years.
- Dr. Richard Baxter NORMENT, II (28 KB)
Taken in Baltimore, MD, by Bachrach studio.
- Henry Bennett ENDERS, 1917 (37 KB)
- Jennie STARR, w/o R. B. NORMENT (II) 1916 (27 KB)
A portrait of an older Martha Virginia "Jennie" STARR, wife of Dr. Richard Baxter NORMENT (II), taken in Baltimore MD in 1916.
- Edward Norment ENDERS 1917 (46 KB)
- John Edwin NORMENT grave marker (78 KB)
Grave marker photo for Dr. John E. Norment in Clinton Lawn Cem., Clinton, IA, kindly provided by Richard Carstensen. Dr. John E. Norment, January 19, 1900, November 12, 1952. Wife Maxine is buried next to him. In 1930 he is shown with wife Blanche & dau Judith, who m Charles T. KUNKLE Jr.
- Glenwood Cem: Frank HURLEY (40 KB)
Sacred to the memory of Frank [Hurley], Born Jul 17, 1868, Died May 17, 1888. Mizpah. [Mostly illegible.] Interment record shows: Frank Hurley, died May 17, 1888 New York City, age 19 yrs, 10 months, 0 days.] See the obit of his father, B. F. M. Hurley for more on Frank.
- Brothers Richard III, Louis & Edwin NORMENT, 1918 (68 KB)
Dr. Richard Baxter NORMENT (III) (L), with brother Louis Tiffany NORMENT (seated) & brother John Edwin NORMENT, taken at their sister Frances's wedding, 30 Nov 1918.
- Caroline Grizelda NORMENT, 1919 (11 KB)
from her passport as worker for the American Friends' Service Committee, going to Europe for reconstruction and relief
- Glenwood Cem: Ulie (NORMENT) HURLEY (33 KB)
Ulie Norment Hurley, Eldest daughter of Samuel Norment, Born Oct. 31, 1847, Died July 1, 1923.
- Susan L. (NORMENT) WINFIELD, c1885 (33 KB)
Susan L. NORMENT, d/o William & Polly (HARRIS) NORMENT, was b 19 Apr 1830 in Caroline Co. VA & d in Little Rock, AR 6 Feb 1892. She married Rev. Augustus Roberts WINFIELD.
- Ulysses WARD, 1846 (364 KB)
On the dedication page of "The Hero of Temperance" sheet music.
- Glenwood Cem: Mary Verlinda NORMENT (43 KB)
Mary Verlinda Norment, daughter of R. B. & M. A. Norment, Died Aug 12th?, 1856, Aged 2 years, ?? [nearly illegible, as is long poem].
- Mt. Holly Cem: Sue (NORMENT) WINFIELD marker (55 KB)
This grave marker in Mount Holly Cemetery in Little Rock, AR, reads:
SUE NORMENT WINFIELD
BORN IN CAROLINE CO., VA
APRIL 19, 1830
DIED AT LITTLE ROCK, ARK.
FEB. 6, 1892
- Child's Bible Card (316 KB)
In the bible of Margaret (Norment) Thornton, dau of Howard Norment (son of Judge Richard B. Norment)
- Robert Theodore NORMENT, s/o Louis T. (37 KB)
Robert Theodore NORMENT was son of Louis Tiffany NORMENT & Sadie May HENRY; b May 19, 1924 & d May 25, 1996. This was taken 1942 in his Army uniform.
- William NORMENT family bible record, page 1 (232 KB)
From the bible of granddaughter Editha (Kimbrough) Enders.
- William NORMENT family bible record, page 2 (239 KB)
From family bible of Editha (Kimbrough) Enders.
- Ulysses & Susan (BEALL) WARD, c1845 (47 KB)
Ulysses, son of John & Mary (FORBES) WARD, and wife, Susan Beall, from the J. T. WARD collection at McDaniel College, Westminster MD. Originally said to be c1860, their ages in that year would be 68 & 61, which this couple clearly is not.
- Margaret L. NORMENT (1893-1992), c1912 (25 KB)
Dau of Howard Thomas K. & Louisa "Lulu" (WEST) NORMENT, and gd of Judge Richard B. NORMENT (1824-1896). Taken prob. between 1911 & 1920. Another photo of her appearing to be slightly older is also posted.
- Judge Richard NORMENT's house, now an inn in FL (33 KB)
The Courtyard at Lake Lucerne (see Related Links); 211 North Lucerne Circle East; Orlando, FL 32801;
- Ada, Caroline, Louis & Richard NORMENT (57 KB)
Ada Beall, Caroline, Louis T. & Richard B. NORMENT, children of Dr. Richard B. & Jennie (STARR) NORMENT, taken about 1892 in Baltimore MD.
- Louis Tiffany NORMENT (1889-1938) (75 KB)
Louis was an accountant in Baltimore MD, son of Dr. Richard Baxter & Jennie (STARR) NORMENT.
- Glenwood Cem: Ulysses WARD (21 KB)
Our Father, Rev. Ulysses Ward, Born near Rockville, Md, April 3, 1792, Died in Washington, D.C., March 30, 1868. [A tiny inscription, now illegible.]
- Dr. Richard B. NORMENT's house (18 KB)
Dr. Richard Baxter NORMENT lived at 3543 Chestnut Ave., Baltimore MD, from abt 1890 to his death in Aug 1929. Taken abt 1921.
- Richard Baxter NORMENT IV (1921-1987) (36 KB)
Richard was the son of Richard Baxter & Vola Mae (CALTRIDER) NORMENT III.
- Glenwood Cem: Susan Valinda (BEALL) WARD (35 KB)
Our Mother, Susan Valinda Ward, Born March 22, 1798, Died Feb. 1, 1875. Precious in the eyes of the Lord. [Maiden name BEALL. Her name appears as Verlinda in most other records.]
- Margaret Anna (WARD) NORMENT (1836-1924) (15 KB)
Margaret is holding a PACKWOOD grandchild, child of her dau Janey, who m Richard T. PACKWOOD. Margaret died in Baltimore City, MD, Apr 29, 1924 and is buried in Glenwood Cem., Washington, DC. Janey Packwood d Jul 12, 1903 in Baltimore. In 1900 Janey & Richard were recorded in West Springfield, Hampden, MA.
- Glenwood Cem: Mary Ellen (WARD) NORMENT, w/o Sam (33 KB)
Mary Ellen, wife of Samuel NORMENT, and daughter of Ulysses WARD, Born Oct. 5, 1825, Died April 15, 1869. See her picture in the James T. WARD photo
- Editha Kimbrough portrait c1856 Arkansas (76 KB)
Painter unknown; pulled from the trash after her last child died. Ellen (Norment) Kimbrough had no heirs.
- Druid Ridge Cem: Ennor Virginia NORMENT (17 KB)
Dr. E. Virginia, 1903-1943. Dau of Dr. Richard B. Norment and Jennie Starr. She was exiled to Albany NY by the family for her habit of wearing men's clothing. She d Nov 14, 1943 unknown location, cremated & buried 11 months later, on Oct 11, 1944.
- NORMENT-ALDEN Family, Aug 1906 (28 KB)
L-R: rear: John W. ALDEN holding son Jack; Ethel NORMENT; front: Judith NORMENT, Lizzie (SMITH) NORMENT, Clarence NORMENT Jr., Clarence F. NORMENT
- Margaret Anna WARD, c1855 (71 KB)
Margaret Anna, d/o Rev. Ulysses & Susan (BEALL) WARD. Taken about 1855 Washington DC by Bell & Brother. In a letter by Wilbur NORMENT in 1860, she is described as having red hair & blue eyes.
- Druid Ridge Cem: Jennie (STARR) NORMENT (16 KB)
Mother, Jennie, 1858-1925. Martha Virginia "Jennie" STARR was wife of Dr. Richard Baxter NORMENT.
- John Junius Kimbrough painted portrait, c1856 (110 KB)
Although not identified, this portrait has to be J. J. Kimbrough, since it was clearly painted at the same time as little Editha.
- Clarence F. NORMENT 1909 (47 KB)
From "A Few Facts and Glimpses of the Past and Present of the Oldest Bank in the National Capital," by Clarence F. Norment. The National Bank of Washington, 1809-1909. p 15 src: City Museum of Washington, DC, The Historical Society of Washington, Inc., 801 K St. NW, Washington, DC 20001 www.citymuseumdc.org
- Druid Ridge Cem: Louis Tiffany NORMENT (14 KB)
Louis T., 1889-1938. Louis Tiffany NORMENT was son of Dr. Richard Baxter & Jennie (STARR) NORMENT.
- Howard Thomas K. NORMENT (1969-1917) (11 KB)
Howard was son of Judge Richard B. Norment & Margaret Ward. He was a fruit grower in Florida.
- Mary Ellen Norment Kimbrough painted portrait 1856 (129 KB)
Although not identified, this has to be Mary Ellen Norment, daughter of William.
- Ethel (NORMENT) ALDEN & son Jack, c1907 (28 KB)
Ethel NORMENT, d/o Clarence F., with son John William ALDEN Jr. The older woman is not identified.
- Druid Ridge Cem: Dr. Richard Baxter NORMENT (15 KB)
Father, Dr. Richard B., 1858-1929. He was son of Judge Richard Baxter NORMENT and Margaret Anna WARD. Wife Jennie (STARR) NORMENT is buried next to him.
- Susan Norment, 1848 (188 KB)
A Daguerreotype taken in 1848, in possession of a descendant.
- John William ALDEN Sr. & Jr., May 1907 (26 KB)
John William ALDEN, husb of Ethel NORMENT, & son John Jr. "Jack," born May 12, 1905. This suit was apparently a birthday gift from an ALDEN relative.
- Jane Eliza (Norment) McKenzie Thach (182 KB)
Sister of Samuel, Lucy Jones, Richard, Sarah Grey, Susan Winfield, Ellen Kimbrough, Wilbur
- Joan (NORMENT) ARSENAULT, d/o R. B. Norment III (10 KB)
Joan NORMENT in her 40s. She m Joseph ARSENAULT and had four children.
- Caroline NORMENT, d/o Dr. Richard B. & Jennie (52 KB)
This formal photo of Caroline NORMENT with her Boston terrier is undated but probably about 1930. The inscription reads: With much love to you all, Aunt Caroline. She was not as popular with her family as her sister Ada.
- Rock Creek Cem: Samuel NORMENT marker (74 KB)
Samuel NORMENT monument in Rock Creek Cemetery in NW Washington DC, Section E, lot 223, taken 21 Feb 2004: face towards center pathway reads: SAMUEL NORMENT DIED MARCH 23, 1891; MAMIE E. NORMENT DIED MAY 2, 1930; face to the left reads: NELLIE NORMENT DIED JULY 16, 1874; face to the right reads: HARRY NORMENT DIED AUGUST 27, 1959; face in rear is blank and presumed to be for Clarence Forbes NORMENT, III, d 1983, who is buried there.
- Will of Samuel NORMENT, 1889 DC (17 KB)
The typeset will of Samuel NORMENT names many family members. He was a banker in DC. This is incomplete but being worked on.
- Glenwood Cem., Wash. DC (8 KB)
Burial data for the two plots in Glenwood Cem., Washington, DC, as of June 14, 2001, for NORMENT and WARD.
- NORMENT notes by Lillian (POWELL) FORDYCE (b1875) (2 KB)
Lillian (Powell) Fordyce, b 1875, wrote up a family outline. These are the comments she made about the Norments.
- Obit of B F M HURLEY 1906, husb of Ulie NORMENT (7 KB)
Benjamin Franklin Morgan HURLEY led an interesting life, as outlined in his obit in the Hagerstown MD "Daily Mail" newspaper on June 28, 1906.
- Robert Mortimer Enders family bible (5 KB)
Transcription of the genealogical entries.
- Bible Record of Susan (NORMENT) WINFIELD (3 KB)
Transcription of the family pages of the bible of Susan NORMENT (1830-1892), who m Rev. Augustus Roberts WINFIELD.
- Bible record of John WARD, b London, Eng. 1747 (3 KB)
Transcription of the bible record in possession of Betty (Thornton) Robinson, Orlando FL. Bible is dated 1836.
- Children of William and Polly (Harris) Norment (1 KB)
As of 12 Nov 2012, from bibles and other sources
- "A Journey to Arkansas" in 1850 (27 KB)
Susan L. NORMENT (1830-1892) kept a journal during the 3-month voyage from VA to Princeton, AR, mostly by water. This is a transcription from her handwritten journal.
- Wilbur F. NORMENT, roster of 1st AR Inf CSA (30 KB)
Wilbur F. NORMENT's Civil War roster, "The Camden Knights" of Ouachita County, Arkansas.
- NORMENT-HARRIS bible record (5 KB)
This bible record demonstrates that William Norment's wife was Mary L. "Polly" HARRIS, d/o John Harris & Lucy Day. She d 1847.
- Will of Clarence F. Norment 1917 DC (1 KB)
Portions of the will of Clarence Forbes Norment (1856-1937), made 8 May 1917 in Washington DC.
- Dr. Richard Norment (III) testifies in rape case (4 KB)
Dr. Richard B. Norment, III, testified for the *defense* in the case of a man who raped his own daughter in 1953. Only weeks later, Dr. Norment died.
- Obit of Ulysses WARD, 1868 (3 KB)
Obit of Ulysses WARD, son of John and Mary Ann Eustatia (FORBES) WARD.
- Biosketch of Clarence F. NORMENT, II, 1930 (1 KB)
From "Washington, Past and Present: A History." New York. Lewis Historical Pub. Co., 1930. Vol III, p 47. One for his father precedes it.
- Will abstract, Ulie (NORMENT) HURLEY 1923 (1 KB)
An abstract of the will of Samuel Norment's dau Ulie, wife of B. F. M. HURLEY, as printed in the Washington Post in 1923. Many relatives are named.
- Obit of Ulysses WARD 1868, "Evening Star" (3 KB)
Obituary for Ulysses WARD (1792-1868), son of John and Mary Ann Eustatia (FORBES) WARD.
- William NORMENT children's petition 1846 (7 KB)
Commonwealth of Virginia pursued costs of prosecution but neighbors petitioned to relieve children of the burden.
- Obit of Ulysses WARD 1868, "History of Methodism" (1 KB)
A brief obituary of Ulysses WARD in "History of Methodist Reform and Methodist Protestant Church 1820 to 1898."
- Children of John WARD (1747-1813) (14 KB)
A quick reference chart for the children of John and Mary Ann Eustatia (FORBES) WARD as of 30 Jun 2004.
- Harry NORMENT bio 1925 (2 KB)
From "Prominent Personages of the Nation's Capital," a work for newspaper and library reference. Washington, DC. Washington Times Co., 1925, p 184 & 312. (src: Martin Luther King Library, Washingtoniana, Washington, DC)
- Will of Samuel NORMENT 1810 (32 KB)
Father of William NORMENT as found in a lawsuit filed 1816 City of Fredericksburg, styled "Lawrence vs Bridges"
- BEALL Lineage from Primary Records (26 KB)
The lineage of Susan Verlinda (BEALL) WARD, wife of Ulysses, corrected using primary documents. Numerous variations of her purported lineage appear, but this demonstrates the correct ancestry.
- Obit of Ulysses Beall WARD, 1864 (20 KB)
Self-published tract by his brother Rev. James T. WARD
- Samuel NORMENT, Central National Bank (1 KB)
Brief mention in "A Few Facts and Glimpses of the Past and Present of the Oldest Bank in the National Capital," by Clarence F. Norment. The National Bank of Washington, 1809-1909.
- Will of Ulysses WARD, 1867 (4 KB)
Transcription of will of Ulysses WARD, Washington, DC
- Bio of Clarence Norment, I, 1905 (1 KB)
Washington Post, 21 Apr 1905, p 5 col 3
- Tribute to Clarence Norment, 1908 (4 KB)
Two newspaper articles about a dinner tribute to Clarence Norment.