On 7/16/1652, Gilbert Blunt was granted 320 acres in Gloucester County "upon the north side of the Yorke river and upon an Easternmost head branch of Poropotank river". This parcel represented his headrights for himself, his wife, his brother, William Jackman, Elizabeth Wells, Anne Dodson, Ann ______, William Blyth & Jane Blyth. He was entitled to 450 acres. It seems that a portion of that patent was deserted by Gilbert Blunt, for on 3/17/1655, Henry Hubberd received a patent...."being part of a patent granted to Gilbert Blunt and deserted". It is important to note that a portion of the original grant was retained by the Blunts, as two different patents of 8/1665 (to Henry Huberd) and of Jan/1661 (to John Greene) refer to Mr. Blunt's property line.
This land acquisition of Gilbert Blunt and the references as late as 1661, are the only ones during the 1600's to the Blunt's, outside of S.E. Virginia. It is a surmise that the progenitor of the Blunts in Central Virginia was Gilbert Blunt or his unnamed brother.
The earliest reference to the Blunts in the 1700's appears in the Christ Church Register of Middlesex County. Three christenings were reported: Francis, son of Francis & Anne Blunt, was born on Aug 29th and baptized on 11/11/1719; Susanna, daughter of Henry & Elizabeth Blunt, was born on Mar 31st and baptized on 5/7/1721; and William, son of Henry & Elizabeth, was born on Dec 29th and baptized on 3/22/1723. The Register also records one death: Thomas Blunt died on Apr 1st and was buried on 4/3/1720. It is important to note that the 1652 Gilbert Blunt patent was only 8 mi. from the Gloucester County Line and 11 mi. from Christ Church.
There is only one entry mentioning the name "Blunt" between 1704 and 1770 in either Gloucester or Middlesex Counties. It is in the Gloucester County Surveyor's Book A, page 15, which mentions Blunt's line in a land dispute survey.
There are at 3 Blunt males that are mentioned in the 1770's in Hanover County or Botetourt County, which can be traced back to the Gloucester County area.....potentially the "birthplace" of all Central Virginia Blunts.
In 1770, Bartholomew Blunt, who was born about 1745, is listed in the tithables of Gloucester County, On 7/2/1776, Bartholomew Blunt of Ware Parish married Elizabeth Hunley of Kingston Parish. In 1782, Bartholomew was listed in the Pers. Prop. Tax records of Ware Parish. Bartholomew Blunt appears in the Pers. Prop. Tax records of Hanover County in 1787 and was listed on the same date as Page Blunt & Francis Blunt...which usually indicates living in proximity to each other. Bartholomew appears with Thompson Blunt in Chesterfield County from 1794 to 1797 an then reappears in Hanover County. Bartholomew Blunt died in Hanover County abt. 1813/14.
William Blunt, who was born 1755/56, stated in a Rev. War pension affidavit that he enlisted in Capt. Sayre's Company in the 1st Virginia Regiment. Even though William Blunt gave the affidavit in 1818 in Muskingum County, Ohio, it was determined that Captain Sayre's Company was mustered in Gloucester County, Virginia; which most likely was his home at the start of the Revolution. A William Blunt appears as late as 1787 in Henrico County Personal Property Tax records, however the date he moved to Ohio is uncertain.
Nathaniel Blunt, who was born in 1747/8, gave a Revolutionary pension affidavit in 1821 from Botetourt County, Virginia. The affidavit sates that Nathaniel was formerly of Hanover County. Revolutionary War records indicate that he served in various regiments, among them the 9th Virginia Regiment, which was raised from various counties surrounding and including Gloucester County.
It was not until 1752 that is can be established that the Blunts appeared in Hanover County. In the 3 July 1752 Virginia Gazette, Page Blunt of Hanover County states that a steer had strayed onto his plantation. Page Blunt was appointed by the S