Deckers' of Essex Co. New Jersey
Updated February 21, 2004
|About Our Family Research
Deckers that date back to Theresa Wilhelm Decker who was born in 1801. She married Nicholas Decker. He had 3 brothers, Peter, Paul and Philip. Nicholas and Theresa had 6 children, Theresa, Apollonia, Katherine, Henry, Carl and Philip. Henry came to the USA in 1866 and married Augusta Miller, (Muller with umlauts). They had 12 children, Susan, Emil, Annie, Elizabeth, Louis, Minnie, Madeline, Henry Jr. and 4 infant deaths. Henry Jr. married Nellie Elizabeth Bedford and had 4 children, Girard, (Jerry), Gladys, Blanche and Alvin Bedford Calvin. Henry Jr.'s brother Emil married Elizabeth Dodds Armstrong and had at least 5 children that this writer knows of. Ralph A., Philip, Dorothy I.,Howard D., and Emil F. Jr. Louis maried Delmasia Segundo and had 3 children, Madeline, Flossie and Louis Jr. Alvin B. C. married Viola Mary Carr and they had 2 children, Alvin Richard and Elizabeth Anne. Alvin R. married Jacqueline Dorothy Osborne. They had 4 children, Richard Alvin (Ricky), Cynthia Marie, Jeffrey Jason and Tiffany Mary. Cynthia had 2 boys, Ryan Christopher and Brett James Dunbar. Jeffrey married Judie Sanders and the marriage had 2 children, Lauren and Michael. Tiffany married Michael Pastore and had 2 children, Hannah Lexus and Kylie McKenna. Elizabeth Anne Decker married William Gorto and had 3 children, Lori, Steven and Sandy. Family grave sites can be found at findagrave.com. Early family history can be found on istg.rootsweb.com.
- Mary Louisa De Hart Bedford.Born: Feb.19, 1868. (5 KB)
Married Lewis Elsworth Bedford and had 6 children, Nellie Elizabeth, wife of Henry Jr., Caroline Bell born Dec. 1, 1886, Leslie Lewis born Mar. 26, 1888, Arthur Raymond born Aug. 18, 1889, Stanley Elwood born April 12, 1892, and Mary Adeline born Sep. 8, 1893.
- Nellie Elizabeth Bedford Decker (5 KB)
Picture was taken 1919.
- Henry Decker Jr. family. (5 KB)
Henry Jr.,daughter Gladys, wife Nellie, the two boys are Jerry and Alvin, the little one. Enjoying the Jersey shore at Spring Lake.
- Nellie and Henry Decker Jr. (8 KB)
I love thier hats.
- Viola, Al, Glady and Jerry Decker (6 KB)
A day at the beach, which was loved by the Deckers.
- Henry and Nellie (6 KB)
In earlier days.
- Alvin B.C. Decker son of Henry Jr. (1 KB)
Little Al at the beach in Spring Lake, NJ
- Blanche Jessie Decker Rooy (5 KB)
This is Blanche at 1 year old. She was born Aug.10, 1902.
- Alvin B.C. Decker son of Henry Jr. (5 KB)
Al in the 1950s.
- Blanche and Gladys (5 KB)
Blanche is the older, Gladys is the younter.
- Alvin B.C. Decker son of Henry Jr. (3 KB)
Al at work at the liquer store on the corner of Lake Ave. and Hwy. 71 in Spring Lake Hgts. NJ.
- Nellie, Glady, Mary (4 KB)
Nellie on the left, daughter Gladys, Nellie's sister Mary Bedford.
- Al and Viola Decker (4 KB)
Again at the beach.
- Deckers' at the beach. (8 KB)
Nellie, Blanche, Jerry and Alvin B.C. at a Spring Lake beach in NJ.
- Russell and Gladys Kershaw. (11 KB)
Glady with her second husband, Russell Kershaw at thier home in Bricktown NJ. April 4, 1985
- Gladys Elaine Decker (10 KB)
Gladys as a young girl.
- Gladys with her her second husband Russell Kershaw (7 KB)
Russell and Glady De Soto Park in St. Petersberg Fl. Mar.27,1985.
- Alvin Richard Decker son of Alvin B.C. Decker (6 KB)
Alvin is about 5 years old. When this picture was taken no-one knew that when he grew up that he would join the navy.
- U.S.S. Leyte CVS 32 (29 KB)
Alvin R. Decker served aboard the Leyte from early 1955 until early 1959. The Leyte is an Essex class carrier that was commisioned in 1946 and sold for scrap in 1959.
- Gladys with her her second husband Russell Kershaw (12 KB)
Glady and Russell enjoying life in Naples, Fl. April 6, 1985
- Gladys Decker about 5 yearsold (2 KB)
Gladys was born Oct. 27, 1908.
- Henry Decker Jr. (6 KB)
Henry Jr. hamming it up.
- Alvin B.C. Decker son of Henry Jr. (8 KB)
This is Alvin at High Point, NJ where Ny, NJ and PA meet.This was taken in 1937. Al was born Aug. 14, 1917 and died Jan. 3, 1978.
- Viola Mary Carr Decker wife of Alvin B.C. Decker (8 KB)
This photo was taken at High Point, NJ. Viola was born Mar. 22, 1916 and died in Greenville SC Sept. 8, 1988. Viola and Alvin were married in Orange NJ on April 11, 1937. Gladys and Jerry were witnesses.
- Alvin Richard Decker son of Alvin B.C. Decker (14 KB)
Graduation picture from 8th grade.
- Girard Decker son of Henry Jr. (6 KB)
Jerry was married to Bernice Coffee and they had 2 children, Ronald and Barbara Jane. Gerry died Nov. 25, 1977.
- Deckers' and Gortos' (8 KB)
The males are Bill Gorto and son Stephen. The seated one is Blanche Decker Rooy. First row standing are Viola Decker and Sandie Gorto. The last line is Laurie Gorto, Liz Gorto and Gladys Decker Pennock Kershaw. Taken in early 80s in Spring Lake Hgts. NJ. In front of Henry Jr.s summer home.
- Viola Decker (8 KB)
Viola at the beach in Spring Lake, NJ. Vi and Al were married the 11th of April 1937.
- Mr.&Mrs. Alvin R. Decker. June 27, 1960 (9 KB)
Alvin R. Decker and Jacqeline Dorothy Osborne Decker, married Jume 27, 1960, standing in front of St. Catherine Catholic Church in Spring Lake, NJ. Alvin was born Nov. 23, 1938. Jackie was born Sept. 15, 1941.
- Viola Mary Carr Decker wife of Alvin B.C. Decker (7 KB)
This was taken in the early forties by the waters of Black Creek. My father built a small dock but never bought a boat for it. The dress she is wearing is green dress with yellow flowers. My father and I liked to see this dress on her.
- Ronald Decker and Elizabeth Anne Decker (15 KB)
Ronald was the son of Gerard (Jerry) and Bernice Coffee Decker. Elizabeth is the daughter of Alvin B.C. Decker and Viola Carr Decker.
- Viola Mary Carr Decker wife of Alvin B.C. Decker (10 KB)
This picture was taken April 24, 1946 in front of her parents home at 12 Maple St. in West Orange NJ.
- Elizabeth Decker Doty, sister of Henry Jr. (10 KB)
There is nothing known of Elizabeth except that she moved to Boston.
- Alvin B.C. Decker son of Henry Jr. (4 KB)
This was taken April 15, 1937. Apparently, he was on his honeymoon with Vi at his parents summer home in Spring Lake Htgs. NJ. He is standing by the waters of Black Creek.
- Henry Decker Sr. (10 KB)
Henry was found in a 1910 census in Virginia with his wife Augusta and daughter Madeline.
- Viola Mary Carr Decker wife of Alvin B.C. Decker (4 KB)
This picture was taken in 1937 at her father-inlaw's summer home in Spring Lake Hgts.
- Four generations. (9 KB)
On the far right is Blanche Decker Rooy. On her right is her mother Nellie Bedford Decker. On the far left is Louisa De Hart Bedford. The little old lady in the front is Augusta Miller Decker.
- Henry Decker Sr. (17 KB)
Came to USA June 26, 1866. Picture was taken Feb. 15, 1906. Henry was born on April 12, 1845 in Wiesbaden, Germany. The son of Nicholas Decker and Theresa Wilhelm Decker.
- Augusta in her wedding dress . March 21, 1868, (7 KB)
Augusta Miller (Muller w/umlaut) was married to Henry Decker Sr. in Brooklyn, NY on March 21, 1868. The back of the picture states that she was 16 years old
- Augusta Miller Decker (15 KB)
Augusta at a later date.
- Decker family picture 1875 (23 KB)
Parents Henry Decker and Augusta Miller. Emil, b. 1869, is standing on the end. The smaller childrin may be Amy, b. 1870. Annie, b. 1871. Elizabeth, B.1873. Susan, b. 1874. Girls are figured by simple deduction of facts as 4 children died at a young age. Amy after 1880.
- Henry Jr. and Nellie and Blanche. (5 KB)
Blanche Decker Rooy was born Aug. 10, 1902 and died Nov. 1987.
- Emil F. brother to Henry Jr. (29 KB)
Emil was married to Elizabeth Dodds Armstrong.
- Blanche Jessie Decker Rooy (5 KB)
Appears to be father's green house.
- Alvin B.C. Decker son of Henry Jr. (7 KB)
Al in front of his parents house on Ward Pl. in Montclair, NJ.
- Susan, sister of Henry Jr. (7 KB)
Susan died at the age of 19 years and 6 months from an exploding kerosene lamp in May 1894.She was born Nov. 10, 1874.
- Gladys with her first husband, Myrle Pennock. (3 KB)
Myrle came from Canada.
- Theresa Wilhelm Decker mother of Henry Sr. (10 KB)
She was born Oct. 13, 1801 and died Dec. 26, 1892. She and Nicholas brought 6 children, Theresa, widow of Joseph Hill, Apollonia, wife of John Jageman, Katherine, who died at 12,Henry, Carl and Philip, whose wife's name was Charlotte.
- Gladys Decker (6 KB)
This picture was taken at her father's summer home in Spring Lake Hgts. NJ. She did'nt know it at that time that her and her first husband, Myrle, would be living in that house about 20 years later.
- Gladys Decker and Viola Carr Decker (6 KB)
Glady and Viola on the wooden bridge that crosses Spring Lake, NJ. Picture taken 1936
- Alvin B.C. Decker and his brother Jerry. (3 KB)
Al and Jerry at the beach in Spring Lake NJ. This had to be taken in the 1920s. Dig those bathing suits.
- Al and Glady Decker 1922 (4 KB)
Al is 5 and Glady is 14.
- Glady the bobby soxer (3 KB)
No date for this picture.
- Annie, sister of Henry Jr. (13 KB)
Annie was married to George W. Abbot of Passaic, NJ. According to hand writing on the back of the picture, this was Annie's wedding dress which cost $100, and the hat cose $35.
- Minnie, sister of Henry Jr. (7 KB)
Minnie's married name was Lehman and lived in Burbank, CA. Picture was taken in 1938.
- Madeline, sister of Henry Jr. (3 KB)
This is Madeline at Oxnard Pier in California in 1962. Her married name was Starr.
- Louis, brother to Henry Jr. (13 KB)
Born April 28, 1877, died Nov. 20,1946. Louis joined the US Army on 8/15/1900 in the Hospital Corps and served in the Philippines during the Philippine Insurrection. He was married to Delmasia Segundo in June 1902 and had 2 daughters, Madeline and Flossie. A son Louis Jr. or unknown date or mother. He took his discharge on 8/14/1903 in the islands. He was interred at Santo Thomas and Los Banos when the Japanese invaded the islands. He returned to the states in California after the war. He was a sick man when interred and it is a wonder he survived the camps.Madeline married Victor Guittard, Master Electrician at the Cavite Navy Yard. Flossie married William Taylor. Louis is buried at the Golden Gate National Cemetery in California.
- Dorothy , sister to Henry Jr. (18 KB)
Dorothy was born 1895 and died in 1969. She married a man named Walter Flynn.
- Alvin B.C. Decker son of Henry Jr. (4 KB)
Alvin, at about 5 years of age. Apparently in his father's garden. The plants behind him appear to be sunflowers. Notice the bags over the flowers to keep the birds from eating the seeds.
- Madeline, sister of Henry Jr. (12 KB)
Madeline at the age of 2 years and 10 months.
- Myrle Pennock, Glady's first husband. (4 KB)
Myrle died in 1959 and is buried in Vero Beach, FL.
- Madeline, sister of Henry Jr. (13 KB)
Madeline was born about 1891. This picture was taken when she was 22 months old.
- Viola Mary Carr Decker wife of Alvin B.C. Decker (5 KB)
On the boardwalk at Spring Lake, NJ in 1936. The Deckers' always loved to drive along the beach up to Bradley Beach and back. Sometimes they would park and look out over the Atlantic Ocean.
- Brothers Emil, Henry Jr. and Louis. (17 KB)
Picture appears to have been taken at Henry's summer home in Spring Lake Hgts. NJ. It was built by Henry and his sons, Alvin and Jerry.
- Gladys Decker on bridge. (6 KB)
Glady on the wooden bridge over Spring Lake lake.1936
- Nellie Elizabeth Bedford Decker (6 KB)
The wife of Henry Jr. The marriage brought forth 6 children, 2 of which died at birth. The Others were Girard, (Jerry), Blanche Rooy, Alvin B.C., and still surviving 10/16/2001, Gladys Pennock Kershaw. Nellie was born July 12, 1884 and died Oct. 1953.
- Alvin B.C. Decker son of Henry Jr. (2 KB)
This picture was taken about the mid 30s.
- Norma Starr 1931. (7 KB)
Norma Starr was the daughter of Madeline Decker Starr. It is believed that her married name was Birdsall. This picture appears to have been taken at the Spring Lake Hgts. railroad station in NJ. In a 1930 census of her family lived in Livingston,NJ, her name is given as Madeline also.
- Gladys Decker 1936 (4 KB)
Glady in front of the Monmouth Hotel in Spring Lake on the beach front. The hotel was razed in the 70s.
- Alvin B.C. Decker son of Henry Jr. (3 KB)
Al standing on wnat was known as the Wagon Bridge between Wreck Pond and Black Creek.
- Alvin Richard Decker (2 KB)
Alvin is the son of Alvin B.C. and Viola Decker. He is about 1year old. Alvin was born Nov. 23, 1938.
- Alvin Richard Decker (5 KB)
Alvin, about 3 years old.