Big changes have come to — all content is now read-only, and member subscriptions and the Shop have been discontinued.
Learn more



Family Finder
First Name:

Dorn and Barnette Families of South Carolina

Updated February 24, 2007

About Our Family Research

The Dorn's
Johann George Dorn, born Feb. 1, 1733 and Baptized Feb. 3, 1733 in Hochenheim, Baden Germany. Johann George and Anna Elisabetha Appffelin were Christian Protestants and were intelligent, hard working, industrious farm people in the fertile Rhine River Valley. They were unhappy because of persecution they received because of their religious beliefs. The reason for leaving their homeland is recorded in the Palatines to America-Immigrant Ancestor Register as stated on their Declaration of Intent: To Escape Hopeless Living Conditions. Johann George and Anna were affiliated with the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Germany and they were active members in the present McKendree Methodist Church, Edgefield, South Carolina. The London Chronicle for 1764 Agust 30 - September 1 tells of the "Plight of the poor Palatines who came to London to be shipped to the newly acquired settlements in America." A former Prussian officer, Colonel John Henry Christian de Stumpel, who served in the army of Frederick the Great, heard about the great opportunity and initiated a plan to sponsor a large group of families to immigrate to America. He applied to the British Ministry for a tract of land in America and although he received some encouragement from them, no land grants were finalized. The plan included that the Palatine families were to sell all their land and de Stumpel would acquire grants for them. After arriving in London, the 200 homeless and destitute until King George III decided to move them to Londonderry Township in South Carolina.They arrived via a ship called Dragon on Dec. 24, 1764 in Charleston, South Carolina.He was granted 250 acres of land on Sleepy Creek in Edgefield District, South Carolina on Dec. 24, 1764.

The Barnette's
The move to South Carolina:
In 1777 the Cherokee Indians had ceded to South Carolina a tract of land on which Greenville was later located. It is believed that sometime between 1781 and 1783, David settled on this tract of land, which was filling up rapidly in the decade just after the Revolution. He obtained land along the Enoree River east of the present City of Greenville. Court records show he bought and sold several tracts of land in that vicinity, and, at the time of his death in 1837 owned about three hundred acres.
David also owned and operated a tavern for the convenience of the traveling public. Since he owned female slaves, it is probable that they performed much of the domestic service about the tavern. He was a fiddler of some local renown, and it is likely that his guest danced to his tunes and rocked the house with breakdown dancing. And since he owned a still, it is not difficult to guess that he entertained them with high spirits. At some point David moved from North Carolina to South Carolina and was counted there in 1790 in the first census of the United States. He undoubtedly had seen the land there during the war and returned there after the war. The area where he settled was located along the Enoree River east of the present city of Greenville. Court records show that he bought and sold several tracts of land in that vicinity, and, at the time of his death in 1837 he owned about three hundred acres. David lived close to the Pools and the property deeds indicate they moved together. It is possible that Pool or Poole was the maiden name of David's wife, Agness, who was born in Darlington County, North Carolina and died July 1836 in Greenville, South Carolina. An early group of settlers to Greenville County got together and formed the Reedy River Baptist Church about 1778. It was first located at the Head of Enoree River, three and one-half miles north of Travelers Rest, South
Carolina. It is one of the oldest churches in Greenville County and was first known as the Baptist Church at the Head of the Enoree. John Salmon gave the land for the church and it was built by volunteer labor. The pastor was unpaid for many years. The church was moved in 1819 to a location south

Contact the Author


Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Terms of Service | PRIVACY
The content shown on this page has been submitted by a customer, and is not subject to verification by Neither nor its affiliates are responsible for the accuracy of any information contained on this page. The opinions expressed on this page are the author's alone and not the opinions of
© 2011