Beth Ruyle & Craig Hullinger
Updated August 1, 2003
|About Our Family Research
We are Back !!!
Beth Ruyle and Craig Hullinger have completed their sabbatical.
We spent 6 months traveling around the world. We checked out our roots, and had a very good time. Beth is now back at Ehlers and I am back to my consulting practice. In the immortal words of a famous Country & Western singer, we said,
“Take This Job and Shove It, I ain’t workin here no more”.
Well, now we are back to work. Beth and I thought it was time to recharge our batteries, and we have. Now we have to work to earn our boat space on spaceship earth.
We traveled from January through June, 2003, and went to Hong Kong, Thailand, Myanmar, Laos,Greece, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Switzerland, England, Ireland, Belgium, France, Germany, Norway, Denmark, and Sweden. We drove Beth’s red convertible sports car in Europe. Any road will do when you don’t know where you are going.
We met lots of great people.
We have traveled west around the world. This corrected a problem I created when I went east around the world in 1971 on leave from the Marines in Vietnam. I have been screwed up ever since, and this trip unscrewed me. Of course, now Beth is screwed up, requiring an additional trip back around the world, which will unscrew her, but rescrew me up. You get the picture.
Beth and I did not get very far on our spy/romance novel starring our significantly embellished ourselves and our adventures. I had wanted to go to more adventurous places such as Iraq, Saudia Arabia, Russia, Africa, etc for back ground material, but Beth said no. The woman has no sense of adventure. I have volunteered to go back on active duty with the Marines for the Iraq, but so far they have said no, telling me between the lines that I am too old and fat. But my Walter Mitty fantasies may work themselves into the spy/romance yarn if we ever get started.
Be good, or at least careful.
RuHu Beth Ruyle & Craig Hullinger
Email Craig@Hullinger.com Bethruyle@hotmail.com
- Beth & Craig about 1990 (24 KB)
Beth Ruyle and Craig Hullinger on an earlier trip about 1990
- Craig at James Bond Island, Phuket Jan 2003 (341 KB)
Craig at James Bond Island - Featured in the Bond Film "The Man with the Golden Gun". That would be the Island, not Craig. Jan 19, 2003
- Beth Ruyle in Holvil, Switzerland 1985 (66 KB)
Beth Ruyle in Switzerland in front of Castle in Holvil 1985 (Hollinger Ville), original home of the Hullingers
- Beth Ruyle & Major Craig Hullinger 1985 (35 KB)
Beth Ruyle & Major Craig Hullinger, when the uniform still fit OK (I was worried all night that I might explode and hurt someone with a flying button) 1985
- A funy looking guy and statue in Florence (189 KB)
A funy looking guy and statue in Florence, Italy
- Mangroves in a Hidden Cove (884 KB)
Mangroves in a Hidden Cove. We got there in sea kayaks, through a very low cave, in Phuket Thailand 2003
- Beth & Craig in San Gimignano, Italy (202 KB)
Beth & Craig in the Tuscan town of San Gimingnano (san jim-in-yawn-oh), the "City of Towers" -- which Craig can't pronouce so has given the code name "Chimi Ghanga."
- After a Wild Night, Craig gets a Tattoo (17 KB)
After a Wild Night, Craig gets a Marine Corps Tattoo. Tried to make it look old, like I got it when I was 19 or in Vietnam. USMC stands for Uncle Sam's Misguided Children
- My Great Grandfathers farm in Bagn, Norway (330 KB)
My Great Grandfathers farm in Bagn, Norway. Very pretty little town on a rushing river. Farm backs up to the River. In Norway, it is common for a person who has purchased a farm to take the name of the farm. An interesting custom.
- Beth in Her Little Red Car (352 KB)
Beth in her little red car, Mercedes SLK 230. Convertible hard top, very interesting when the roof goes in the trunk. The car was made in Bremen, Germany, and will return to our home in Bremen Township, Illinois
- After a wild night, Beth gets a tattoo (180 KB)
After a wild night, Beth gets a tattoo. A butterfly on her ankle. This, after harrassing our poor daughter Leigh Ann about her tattoo. Jan 2003
- 1st Lt Hullinger Marine Corps on Hill 327, Vietnam (54 KB)
1st Lt Hullinger USMCR on Hill 327 in the rear with the gear in Danang, Vietnam. 1,000 feet high overlooking bay, Hai Van Pass, Monkey Mountain, An Hoa Valley, and Chu Lai on my first trip around the world. 1970
- Beth at Lake Como (173 KB)
Beth at Lake Como
- Fantail boats in Phuket Jan 2003 (56 KB)
Fantail boats in Phuket Jan 2003
- My Poor Hootch (Home) in Vietnam October 1970 (31 KB)
They just don't build them like they used to. October 1970. My Hootch on Hill 327 Fall Down, Go Boom. On my first trip around the world. West to Vietnam for one year, then east to Okinawa, US, Europe, India, Asia, Vietnam, 6 month tour extensiont, west to home. Went Hong Kong and Australia on side trips. SUCH A DEAL!!! 1970
- Friends at Lake Como (177 KB)
Friends at Lake Como. Rick and Mary Ellen picked up a Mercedes convertible also, and are also spending 6 months in Santa Margareta, Italy, where we met them and compated cars. Rick was also a Marine, and now lives in Mexico.
- Nice Street Scape (117 KB)
Nice Street Scape Jan 21 2003
- Beth Ruyle and Craig Hullinger in Chinese Costume (50 KB)
Beth Ruyle and Craig Hullinger in costume in Taiwan, China, on a trip with the South Suburban Mayors and Managers Association meeting with local governments 1995
- View of Lake Hallvil, Switzerland (197 KB)
ancestral home of the Hullingers Holligers in Switzerland
- Phuket Beach (60 KB)
Nice Beach in Phuket Jan 21 2003
- Beth at Victoria Peak in Hong Kong Jan 10, 2003 (324 KB)
Beth at Victoria Peak in Hong Kong Jan 10, 2003
- Beth and a Canal in Colmar, France (199 KB)
Lovely town near the German French Border in Alsace
- Wood Timbered houses in Alsace, France (187 KB)
Beautiful homes built partially of stone, painted stucco, and timbers
- Peat Fields in Ireland (198 KB)
Peat is taken from the fields by hand or machine, dried, then burned for fuel
- Cousins Aslak Tronrud & Linda Davidson in Norway (60 KB)
Cousins Aslak Tronrud & Linda Davidson and Beth and Craig in Oslo, Norway. We had a great time in a great city.
- Craig at Victoria Peak, Hong Kong Jan 10, 2003 (332 KB)
Craig at Victoria Peak, Hong Kong Jan 10, 2003
- Bangkok by the River Jan 2003 (58 KB)
Bangkok by the River Jan 2003
- Beth & Craig and a nice Thai Thumb at the Beach (202 KB)
Beth & Craig and a nice Thai Thumb at the Beach in Pattaya Thailand Feb 7 2003
- Beth by the River in Bankok Jan 2003 (60 KB)
Beth by the River in Bankok Jan 2003
- Beth & SLK 230 & Swans in Lorie Valley (190 KB)
Beth & SLK 230 & Swans in Lorie Valley
- Pool at the Sheraton (61 KB)
Pool at the Sheraton in Bangkok. I ran into a nice green snake in this pool the first time I camed here - hit is twice while we were both swimming. Neither one of us liked it. Jan 2003
- Beth at the Acropolis (190 KB)
Beth at the Acropolis, Athens, Greece. A long walk in the rain to the top
- Beth and an unkown man at Carnival in Venice (193 KB)
Beth and an unkown man at Carnival in Venice
- Beautiful, Busy River in Bangkok (62 KB)
Beautiful, Busy River in Bangkok Jan 2003
- Vik Fjord, home of some of our Norwegian Ancestors (174 KB)
We met our cousins the Tistels here. They maintain a very interesting farm museum, with 4 sod roof buildings dating to the 1700 and 1600's, and many interesting artifacts
- Near James Bond Island, Phuket 2003 (324 KB)
Near James Bond Island, Phuket. Beautiful rocks rising out of the sea. 21 Jan 2003
- Templar Castle in Portugal (455 KB)
Beth and I are part of the Knights Templar, so it was interesting to see so many castles left from their time guarding Christian pilgrims
- Beth Feeding the Monkeys in Phuket (198 KB)
Beth feeding the monkees at the cave temple near Phuket, Thailand. 21 Jan 2003.
- The Jersalem Gate in Budigen, Germany (57 KB)
Budigen is the sister city of Tinley Park. A very nice old town center, with castle and gates
- Cave near James Bond Island Jan 2003 (361 KB)
Cave near James Bond Island, Beautiful rocks shooting up out of the ocean. Phuket, Thailand Jan 2003
- Craig at the Acropolis (191 KB)
Athens, Greece. The font of democracy. Just like Oympia Fields and Minooka and Tinley Park, only different
- Imprisoned Knights Templar at Dome, France (379 KB)
Craig & Knight Templar at Dome, France where Knights were tortured. Beth and I are part of the Knights Templar, so this was very interesting to us. The imprisoned Knights scratched out symbols with their finger nails and teeth.
- Craig in the Pool in Phuket Thailand Jan 2003 (61 KB)
Craig in the Pool in Phuket Thailand. What a body!!! Jan 2003
- Waterfall in Norway (59 KB)
Typical waterfall in Norway, near our ancestral home of Vik (Where the Vikings came from)
- Beth overlooking the Arno River in Florence (195 KB)
Beth overlooking the Arno River in Florence from the famous covered bridge where you are required to buy lots of jewelry before leaving.
- Knights Templar (188 KB)
Knights Templar markers from 1150 at the church where Craig's GGGGGGGGGrandfather was baptized in 1650. Church founded about 700, Venerable Bede (St Bede) Wrote first history of England. Such a deal!!
- Castle of Josephine Baker (57 KB)
Josephine Baker was an amazing woman. Born poor in East St Louis, she became a singing and dancing star in France. She was a spy in World War II, decorated by Charles DeGaulle. Married 4 times, she later adopted 12 children of all races. Then she lost her money and castle.
- Flowering Trees (59 KB)
We followed the advent of spring in Europe, beginning in Spain in late February, and following it up all the way to Norway in June. We therefor saw flowering trees the entire time. We also had hay fever the entire time.
- Ancient Athens and the Acropolis (1 KB)
February 10 - 13: Anxious to leave the Far East for "homier" Europe, Beth and Craig are spit on by the heavens.
- England & Wales (2 KB)
England & Wales
- Goodbye USA. Hello Hong Kong! (4 KB)
January 7 - 9, 2003: Beth and Craig prepare for departure, meet a potential terrorist, and go touristing around Hong Kong.
- Our Ancestral Village in Norway, Vik & Bagn (17 KB)
We visited our ancestral villages of Vik, Bagn, and Seljord, had a fine time with our cousins Aslak Tronrud and his fiance Linda Davidson, and checked out the ancestral farms of our great great grandparents
- Tropical Thailand (11 KB)
January 14 - February 8, 2003: Craig relives his "almost" snakebite. Beth feeds monkeys. Craig goes kayaking. They get tattoos??
- The Venerable Bede at our ancestral church (2 KB)
We visited our ancestral church for the first time at Monkwearmouth, England. St Bede, the famous monk who wrote the first history of England, was at the monastery. Two other Saints were at the monastary. Our GGGGGGG Granfather Harlan was baptized here in 1650. The Vikings burned the monastary, but the church is still there.
- Stuttgart and the Riviera (2 KB)
February 27 - March 12, 2003 Beth picks up "BB" her new car. They tour the Riviera making those readers stateside very jealous. And Craig discusses the Cherry Bomb incident.
- We are back June 26, 2003 (1 KB)
The party is over. Beth and I are back on June 25, 2003. Now we have to go back to work.
- Vive la France! (3 KB)
The intrepid explorers visit castles in the Dordogne and Loire Valleys and opine on the Knights Templar. Upon returning to Italy, Craig is attacked by wild boars.
- War and Remembrance (3 KB)
Traveling during warm time, and getting told to urinate on the plants.
- Alsace, France - The Wine Country (1 KB)
Alsace - Beautiful country, charming timbered towns, great castles, trails, too much wine
- Beth shows how to shop for a discount (1 KB)
Beths method of getting shopping discounts is for the birds. One terrorist pigeon
- We met our cousins in Switzerland (4 KB)
Our ancestral home near Lake Hallvil, Switzerland, is beautiful. And our cousins are great people
- La Bella Italia (5 KB)
February 13 - 26: Roma (Rome), Firenze (Florence), Siena, San Gimignano, Venezia (Venice) and Como. Make sure to read about the Carnivalesque "Rape of Craig" in Venice.
- England, Wales, Ireland, Scotland (8 KB)
Having a great time - Wish you were here. Very nice, very green, very wet.