This page is devoted to research of the James Key family of Moore County, NC. James and his wife Sabeilla Britt raised six children in the Tillis Mill Creek area of Moore County. Other than the census records and an entry in the book "Key and Allied Families" by Julia Lane in 1931, very little is known about James. His wife, Sabeilla Britt was born in Moore Co. probably between 1800 and 1810 and died in Moore Co. in about 1885. She is listed in several county censuses and in several family letters written at the time. In her later years, she lived with her only daughter, Eleanor, in a cabin on Tillis Mills Creek. It is believed she is buried in the old Key Cemetery near the remains of the Eleanor (Key) Williamson homesite. James and Sabeilla's six children were as follows:
1. Riland Key (@1816-1866) born and died in Moore County, NC. Buried at Brown's Chapel. Served with the 48th Regt. NC Infantry during the Civil War. Married Temperance Kennedy (@1825-1903) who was born and died in Moore County, NC and is buried at Browns Chapel. Of this union, seven children are known. Descendants still live in the Moore County area.
2. Thomas Key (@1819-@1857) born in Moore Co., NC, died near Cookeville, Titus County, TX. Married Martha Hussey (1815-1892) also of Moore Co., NC. Believed to have lived in the Green Hill area of Lauderdale County, AL from about 1847-1856. She is buried in Daingerfield, TX. Of this union, eight children are known. Descendants still live in the Titus/Morris County area.
3. Pleasant Troy Key (1826-1898) born in Moore Co., NC, died near Ellerbe, Richmond Co., NC. Married Mary Dunlap (1824-1901). Of this union, six children are known. Both are buried at Mount Pleasant Cemetery near Ellerbe, NC. Descendants still live in the Richmond County area.
4. Calvin Domas Key (1828-1899) born in Moore Co., NC, died near Lipan, Hood County, TX. Married Mary Evaline Thomas (1837-1914) on 16 March 1854 in Florence, Lauderdale Co., AL. Calvin was a gunsmith/blacksmith in the Green Hill, AL area from about 1849 until 1869. Also lived near Sulphur Springs, TX from 1870-77. Of this union, twelve children are known. Descendants live in Texas and New Mexico.
5. Martin (Maston) Crawford Key (1830-1891) born in Moore Co., NC, died in Granbury, Hood Co., TX. Married Milly Ham (1830-1889) on 14 Dec. 1853 in Lauderdale Co., AL. She was from Lawrence Co., TN. Of this union, seven children are known. Descendants live in Texas and New Mexico.
6. Mary Eleanor Key (1833-1931) was born and died in Moore Co., NC. Married Isaac Williamson (1827-1864) also of Moore Co., NC. He served with the 46th Regt. NC Infantry during the Civil War, and is buried in Hollywood Cemetery, Richmond, VA. Of this union, five children are known. Descendants live in Moore County, NC.
7. Samuel Key (1840-1871) born in Moore Co., NC., died at Poetry, Kaufman Co., TX of war related ailments. He never married. Served with the 48th Regt. Tenn. Infantry and was wounded on 20 Sept. 1863 at Chickamauga, GA.
The prime focus of this site is to find the parents of James Key, and to expand our current information on his descendants. Will share information concerning anyone of this line or collateral lines.