James Lacey b. SC 1800, migrated to Wilcox Co., stopping along the way at Briar Creek near Augusta for a year or so, moving on to Hawkinsville in Pulaski Co. for another year or so. He then moved on to Wilcox Co. in 1844 and settled about 3 1/2 miles north of Rochelle on Hwy. 112. He was a farmer and wheelwright by occupation. The area he settled soon became known as Lacey's District. He had a school built across from his home for his children and later another school was built known as Lacey's School. The Hawkinsville Florida Southern Railroad branched off to Rochelle through his property and the station was known as Lacey's Station. James brought with him his first wife , Ruth Hicks Lacey, and seven children from SC.
Ruth Hicks Lacey d. 1-23-1853. It is not known where she was buried.
James Lacey's 2nd m. to Winnie Barton Lacey,b. 1827, bore him 10 children.
One brother of James Lacey was Jonathan Lacey. He, his wife Susieannah, and dau. Mary Elizabeth returned to SC from Pulaski Co. in the year 1850.
James Lacey d. 1-23-1882 and was bur. under a hickory tree on his land in 12th Dist., land lot No. 79. However, in April of 1936 a tornado hit that area and the tree was blown down. The owner of the property was not aware of the grave and that site is now in cultivation.
Winnie Barton Lacey d. 4-29-1918 and was buried in the Christian Hill Baptist Church Cem.
(THE ABOVE INFORMATION IS EXTRACTED FROM AN ARTICLE WRITTEN BY ROBERT LINDSEY LACEY, JR. HIS ORIGINAL ARTICLE WAS PUBLISHED IN "PASSING OF THE PINES".)