Big changes have come to — all content is now read-only, and member subscriptions and the Shop have been discontinued.
Learn more



Family Finder
First Name:

Danica Bungay's family Tree of Newfoundland

Updated September 27, 2001

About Our Family Research

At the time of the French Revolution, some of the Bon-el-Gai family were able to escape across the channel to England and settled in the English District of Suffolk (Bardsley). Over the years the family name became anglicized to Bungay. In this district, there is a village now known as Bungay. Not a lot is known of these early family members, but it is known that in the early 1700's, there were several who immigrated over to the then colony of Newfoundland (NF). Records show that a Frenchman (Bungay) was an early settler at Harbor Main before 1750. There was one Henry Thomas Bungay born in 1871 at Newtown, Bonavista Bay. Also early records show that there was one William Bungay settler, in Vere (now Fair) Island. The records also show that Charles Bungay of Lower Burgeo was married in 1846, but does not show to whom. John Bungay was a settler at Sagona in 1852 andJonathan Bungay was a fisherman of Jersey Harbor in 1853. Then there was a Charles Bungay, fisherman who resided in Burin in 1871. Thomas Bungay (my Great Grandfather) was the son of Charles Bungay. He often told the story of how his grandfather came over from England in the early 1800's and began fishing out of Fortune Bay on the Grand Banks of NF. Another brother of Charles, settled in Bonavista Bay NF. My Grandfather, Archibald, was a fisherman from the time he was about 12, being a dory mate off one of the fishing vessels. In April 1912 he was on the Grand Banks when he and his dory mate were lost in the fog, and could not relocate their vessel "The Tamahone" owned by John Rose of Jersey Harbor, NF. They were lost and caught up on the ice pack not able to clear away for 14 days and nights. On the morning of the 12th day, a vessel, the Francis M from Fortune, NF picked them up. The dory mate died within hours after being taken on board. My Grandfather was taken to North Sydney, NS where frost bite/gangrene was the cause of him having both legs amputated just below the knee. He also lost three fingers from his left hand. During his recuperation, a priest Father Kerwin, used to visit him at the hospital and they became close friends. The priest intervened on his behalf to the point where the NF Government had my Grandfather trained to become a telegrapher. He then spent the next years up to 1946 as a telegrapher/post master at various communities along the south coast. His last office being at Port aux Basques. The family then moved to Corner Brook, NF in Oct 1946. At that time he went to work at Ernest Harmon Air Force Base at the Post office. He finally retired from active work at the age of 77.

Family Photos
Contact the Author


Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Terms of Service | PRIVACY
The content shown on this page has been submitted by a customer, and is not subject to verification by Neither nor its affiliates are responsible for the accuracy of any information contained on this page. The opinions expressed on this page are the author's alone and not the opinions of
© 2011