Welcome to our Johnson Family website! The purpose of this project is to assist those interested in learning more about the ancestors of HARDY ELKANAH JOHNSON, and of his wife, TISHIE MCKINNEY. Hardy was born May 15, 1885, and died June 12, 1960. Tishie was born February 14, 1893, and died April 1976. They married May 9, 1909, and raised their family of 10 children in the area of Spear and the Toe River Township, in Avery County, North Carolina. During his life, Hardy worked as a farmer, teamster driver, lumbermill hand, carpenter and musician.
If you are researching either the Johnson or McKinney family line, we would enjoy hearing from you to share data, documents, photos or stories, or just to say "Hello!" Our e-mail address is JohnsonFind@aol.com.
We look forward to hearing from you and sharing family information.
We hope to learn as much as possible about the ancestors of Hardy Elkanah Johnson--the important details, as well as the mundane--gathering up the facts, as well as friends interested in passing on this data to their children. This uniquely American family has survived the many challenging events our history has offerred. Often, we participated on the front lines of these battles, safeguarding and benefiting those generations that followed.
A few interesting research questions and stories:
1. Who came over from England, and when did they come? Was that person JOHN JOHNSON or JEFFREY JOHNSON?
2. William Johnson's participation in the fighting the Cherokee in the Blue Ridge, and later, the Revolutionary War. Much data and facts are in his application for War Pension presented in Court.
3. Actual locations of Johnson farms/plantations
4. Are we connected to the CHARLES MCKINNEY (ancestor of Hardy's wife, Tishie McKinney) who settled McKinney Gap, North Carolina?
5. Did Tishie McKinney's Aunt perish in the sinking of the Titanic ship in 1912 after never being heard from again following a trip to England? Tishie McKinney Johnson relayed this concern to her children many times, fearing this may have been her Aunt's fate. Confirming the Aunt's married name and checking it against the ship's passenger list should give us the answer (possible maiden name may have been DEAN?). We hope to learn the Aunt safely lived out her life in England or elsewhere.
Ascent, First Names: (Hardy, Eli John, Eli Franklin, Eli, Moses, William)
Hardy Elkanah Johnson – born May 15, 1885, died June 12, 1960 in Avery County, North Carolina, mar. Tishie McKinney
Eli John Johnson – born March 31, 1859, died April 09, 1906 in Dellaplane, Wilkes County, North Carolina, mar. Martha Lusk
Eli Franklin Johnson – born February 12, 1837, died May 17, 1906 in North Carolina, mar. Amelia Johnson, later mar. Diana Inscore
Eli Johnson – born January 16, 1799, died April 04, 1879 in North Carolina, mar. Sarah Wheatley
Moses Johnson – born 1775, died 1855, mar. Elizabeth
William Johnson – born April 06, 1751 likely in Prince William County, VA, died 1835 in Wilkes County, North Carolina, mar. Mary Parks