This family tree represents 20 years of research of my Nicholas family. Much of the data was shared by other related Nicholas family members including Spurlocks, Lovealls, Partons, Bells, Frazers,Partons,Pierce,Turpins.
In the last few years I have had my DNA tested and have found that my Nicholas line is directly related to George Nichols of Boston Mass Born around 1720, as far as I know no other Nicholas researchers have this information. Due to the new DNA testing many Nicholas families will now be able to connect with scientific proof. I would strongly urge all Nicholas researchers to have DNA testing for at least 25 markers and to join Brian Hamman Nichols Y-Chromosome Study. Info Below
Nichols Y-Chromosome Study:
We are interested in recruiting anyone with the surname of Nichols, including variants such as Nicholls, Nickels, Nickells, Nickols, McNichols, Nicholas, Nickell, Nicoll, etc. If you have any questions regarding this website or possible participation, please email me, Brian Hamman, at email@example.com.
You can order a kit at the following link: http://www.familytreedna.com/surname_join.asp?code=V69432&special=True&projecttype=S
See Info Below for George Nichols who has an exact DNA match to my DNA:
Patrilineage for Participant #29577 (email Elizabeth Nichols for more details at firstname.lastname@example.org)
1) George Nichols [Sr] who md in Boston Massachusetts at the Federal Presbyterian Church by "John Moorhead, 1739/40: June 19th, were married, George Nicols and Martha Dodds" - this is our earliest known record; one child born in Boston; others born in near-by Billerica; found in Templeton, MA by 1763 tax list; will probated in Templeton, MA in 1796 with widow Sarah - lists his 7 children born in Billerica (his first son born in Boston apparently died as an infant) as shown at the bottom of this page.
2) George Nichols [Jr] b. 12 Dec 1746 in Billerica, Massachusetts, md in Templeton MA 9 Feb 1769 to Elizabeth (Betsy) Sawyer and died 25 Mar 1832 in Starks, Somerset, Maine
3) Joel Nichols, b. 21 Apr 1786 in [probably Starks, Somerset County] Maine died 30 Jan 1863 in Starks, Somerset, Maine, md Polly Dutton
4) Elijah D Nichols, b. 7 Jan 1820 in Anson, Somerset, Maine, died 28 Jan 1878 in Starks, Somerset, Maine; md 5 Mar 1857 Betsey Ann Morse
5) Harrison H. Nichols b. 24 Sept 1859 in Starks, Somerset, Maine, d. 27 Apr 1940 in Indiana bur in Wisconsin; md (2) Mabel Louise Farwell, 1889 in Lynn, MA
6) Clyde Redmond Nichols [Sr] b. 1902 in Wisconsin, d. 1979 in North Carolina, md Besse Luella Bolton
7) Participant #29577
“Our earliest ancestor is George Nichols (Nickles, Nicols, Nicholas) who with wife Martha had a son George Jr born in 1746 in Billerica, Massachusetts. We assume him to be the George Nichols/ Nickles /Nicols who married in Boston in June 1740 to Martha Dod or Dods. (Everything fits and there is no conflicting evidence yet found.)Known places of residence: Boston, Billerica, & Templeton, MA. Will probated May 1796, Templeton, MA.
Children (surnamed NICHOLS): (except for the first were born in Billerica, MA):
1. Robert, christened 26 April 1741 in Boston, MA; probably died as a child.
2. Mary, born 19 Feb 1742/3, Billerica, Middlesex, Massachusetts, md 9 Oct 1764 in Templeton, Worcester, MA to Uriah Weatherbee; nothing more known
3. Sarah, born 28 Mar 1744 in Billerica, MA md (1) 18 June 1766 in Templeton MA to Samuel Treadwell; (2) Robert Fitts 17 Apr 1783 in Templeton; died 31 Aug 1827, age 82. 2 known children by each marriage.
4. [X] George Nichols, born 12 Dec 1746 in Billerica, md 9 Feb 1769 in Templeton MA to Betsy [Elizabeth] Sawyer, died 25 Mar 1832 in Starks, Somerset, Maine [our ancestor]
5. Samuel Nichols, born 12 Mar 1748 in Billerica, md 7 Dec 1769 in Templeton to Jane Wiley [she is Jean in her birth record in Worcester]; 6 known children. (No death