John Connell, born in Ireland c1787, and his wife, Ellen (Quinn), born in Ireland c1796, married in Ireland c1810, emigrated from Ireland (possibly from Glanmire, County Cork) to Saint Peters (Bathurst), New Brunswick, Canada in 1823 with their eight children. Oral family history indicates that there were 17 families from that ship who were housed with area French families for the first winter.
They initially settled and received a grant of land on the Dunlop Road, Beresford Parish. In the mid 1830’s the family settled on the south side of the Nigadoo River where Francis received a grant of land and where some descendants still reside today.
Children from John & Ellen were:
1. Ann, born Ireland c1810 / married William Walsh 19 Oct. 1826
2. Mary, born Ireland c1812 / married Daniel Bracket 21 Aug.1827
3. Margaret, born Ireland c1813 / married Simon Wheeler 13 July 1830
4. Francis, born Ireland c1815 / married Fanny Hurley
5. John, born Ireland c1816 / married Mary Cunningham 23 Feb. 1852
6. Ellen, born Ireland c1817 / married John Driscoll 3 March 1840
7. Johanna, born Ireland c1819 / married Donald Stewart 29 Nov. 1832
8. Catherine, born Ireland c1822, died 1828
9. George, born New Brunswick 1826
Paul Michael O'Connell, “The O'Connells of Nigadoo”, Douglas, NB, Collection of the New Brunswick Legislative Library, 1985, 72 p.
Rod O'Connell, “From Glanmire, County Cork, Ireland to Glenmire, Gloucester County NB - Is there a Connection?” http://www.newirelandnb.ca/Communities-General/Communities-Glenmire.html