Genealogy.com
Big changes have come to Genealogy.com — all content is now read-only, and member subscriptions and the Shop have been discontinued.
 
Learn more

Community

Search

Family Finder
First Name:
Middle:
Last:
 

Family Tree of Patrick L. Owens

Updated July 26, 2001

About Our Family Research


All information is welcome. Please email me with any little tidbit you may have to help elaborate on our family history.

Thanks!

 
Family Trees (viewing trees requires 4.0 or later browser)
 
Family Photos
  • A postcard of the original Powers Hotel in Fargo, (56 KB)
    Advertised as "Fargo's Only Modern Fireproof Hotel," the Powers was built in 1914 by Thomas F. Powers. It was a family-run hotel from the time it opened on the northwest corner of Broadway and Fourth Avenue North (400 Broadway) until it closed on October 17, 1981. The hotel's Classical Revival-style were designed by the Hancock Brothers. It was originally built with three floors, as seen in this postcard (dated 1916). In approximately 1919, two floors were added from plans by William F. Kurke. The Powers family were the first name in the Fargo hotel industry for many years. In addition to their namesake hotel, they owned, at one time or another, the Waldorf, the Gardner, and the Fargoan hotels.
  • Clara Playfair at the University of Idaho 1899 (36 KB)
    This photograph of the UI class of 1899 shows seven male students and six female students, including UI's first African American student Jennie Eva Hughes, seated in the first row, second from right. The nearly equal number of men and women students -- typical during UI's early years -- enhanced the perception that the West opened more doors for women seeking a college education. Statistics such as these leave a false impression, however.
  • Looking west along Sherman Avenue, 1928. (15 KB)
    On the bottom left is the Blackwell House and to the west is the William Dollar house. Across the street is the F. A. blackwell house (he built the one across the street for his son). Next door is the J. C. White house. The mill at the base of Tubbs Hill operated until about 1931.
  • The Lobby of the Gardner Hotel in 1911 (54 KB)
    The Gardner Hotel was a prestigious hotel when it was built in 1909. It was designed by the Hancock Brothers and was named after Frank Gardner, one of the large stockholders. The hotel was purchased in 1932 by the Powers brothers. They in turn sold the hotel in 1969 to William Kenney. He sold the hotel to a religious organization in September 1974. This photo dated 1911, shows the lobby of the Gardner Hotel.
  • Robert Dollar and Family (19 KB)
    Rear- (Robert) Stanley and Mrs Dollar., Robert Stanley Dollar Jr., J Harold and Mrs Dollar. Robert Dollar is front center
  • Matches from the Powers Hotel Coffee Shop (17 KB)
    The matchbook from the Powers Hotel Coffee Shop reads: "Decidedly Different" "One of Americas Finest Restaurants"
  • A Postcard from the Dollar Steamship Lines (38 KB)
    This Dollar Steamship Lines postcard advertised offices in Boston, MA, Philadelphia, PA, Washington, DC, as well as 5th Avenue and Broadway in New York City.
 
Contact the Author


 

Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Terms of Service | PRIVACY
The content shown on this page has been submitted by a Genealogy.com customer, and is not subject to verification by Genealogy.com. Neither Genealogy.com nor its affiliates are responsible for the accuracy of any information contained on this page. The opinions expressed on this page are the author's alone and not the opinions of Genealogy.com.
© 2011 Ancestry.com