Our research has indicated the following about our branch of the Rumble Family:
· James Rumble came from Dunton, near Brentwood, Essex and Maria (nee Walters) came from Swanscombe, Kent.
· We have little information about the Essex end, but we did confirm last year that Cornelius Daniel ("son of James and Maria Rumbold") was baptised on 20 January 1838 by James Manley, Rector of Bulphan (near Brentwood).
· James and Maria lived in/near Brentwood Essex before they left from Gravesend on 19 November 1989, on the 'Bolton', as assisted immigrants to New Zealand.
· The family, which included Maria Elizabeth (5) and Cornelius Daniel (2), arrived in Port Nicholson, Wellington (NZ) on 20 April 1840. They landed at Petone beach (sometimes called Pitone in the early days).
· The family lived in the River Hutt. The areas where they lived are now known as Lower Hutt and Taita. In the case of the latter, they apparently farmed what was known as Mt Galley Farm.
· Maria Elizabeth married Giles Edwards at "St Pauls Church, Wellington" 12 July 1851 and lived in the Wellington/Hutt area for the rest of her life.
· Peter Alfred (1841), William (1844 to 1847), Henry William (1845), James Edward (1849) were born in the Hutt area.
· The sons went to Naseby (Central Otago) chasing gold. Over time the family has spread throughout New Zealand.
· James died on 5 January 1880 and Maria died on 2 August 1884.
· Our return to Lower Hutt (near Petone) meant that direct descendants of Peter Alfred had come back to the place where the first Rumble was born in New Zealand.
We have a lot more information about the NZ end, which we are happy to share with interested parties, but would like to gain more information on our preceding and current relatives in New Zealand.
We are also seeking more information about James and Maria Rumble before the left for New Zealand.