I have been working on the Joshua May line for apporoximately 24 years. I have not been able to locate a marriage record for him. Joshua signed the Oath of Allegiance in Bedford County in 1777. He was on the 1787 Tax List as follows: 1 white male over 21, 1 horse 5 cattle (page 205); on the same page was a David May (possibly a brother?) who was 1 white male over 21, 1 horse, and 4 cattle. In 1793, there was a Joshua May who was named in the estate settlement of John MARR in Henry Co, VA along with Caleb May, James May, and John May. Joshua appears on the 1810 Census in Mercer County, Kentucky with 1 male 45 and over, and 1 female 45 and over. (So it appears his wife was still living). His known children:
1. Bennett May born about 1794 married Nancy Gibson 3 April 1810 in Mercer Co, KY (daughter of John Gibson & Frances). Parents of: Hugh born 1811 married Malinda May (daughter of William), Josiah born 1812 married Sally Ann Branham, Andrew J. born 1815 married Mary A. White, Thomas B. born 1819 married Hester Ann Renfro, Nancy born 1820 married John May (son of William), Cynthia born 1823-25 married William H. Hulett, and Mahala born 1826 married Martin Stivers.
2. Jesse May (possible son) married 1 Nov 1806 in Mercer Co, KY to Fanny Gibson (also a possible daughter of John Gibson & Frances)
3. Dicey May (possible daughter) born 1790-94 married John Gibson 2 March 1810 in Mercer Co, KY
4. Isabell May (possible daughter) married Jesse Dillender 11 June 1811 in Mercer Co, KY
5. William A. May (possible son) married Abigail Wright (no marriage record found, she is listed as Sary on the marriage bond of one of her daughters. Their children: Daniel Wright (no marriage record found), Elizabeth married Hiram Stivers, Parthenia married Robert Branham, Nancy Jane born 11 April 1809 married James Brumley, William A. Jr. married Rebecca Elsey, John married Nancy May (daughter of Bennett), James A. married Zerelda Austin, Temperance married William G. Gibson, Simon Peter married Sarah McDaniel, Malinda married Hugh May (son of Bennett)